Opera VPN app to be permanently discontinued as of April 30th, 2018.

tao

We’re discontinuing the Opera VPN app for iOS and Android on April 30, 2018. But don’t worry. We’re helping to make sure your privacy is still looked after.

All Opera Gold users have the option to redeem a free 1-year subscription to SurfEasy Ultra VPN.

This is a free upgrade for Opera Gold users, as SurfEasy Ultra offers unlimited usage on up to five devices, access to 28 regions and a strict no-log policy. SurfEasy is also available on more platforms, currently supporting Windows, Mac, iOS, Android and Amazon devices. Users will be able to enjoy world-class customer support, too. Opera Gold users will be able to migrate within the latest version of the Opera VPN iOS app.

Opera users not currently on the Opera Gold plan will be able to redeem an 80% discount on SurfEasy Total VPN through the latest version of the Opera VPN iOS and Android apps.

Founded in 2011, SurfEasy consistently hits 99.9% uptime both globally and regionally for all of its users, has a unique ad tracker/blocker, and most importantly does not log browsing or downloading activity like some other VPNs. A full list of features can be found here: https://www.surfeasy.com/features.

All of us here at Opera VPN (including Olaf) are sincerely grateful for all your support over the last couple of years, and we’re sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

We know you’ll be happy at SurfEasy, and we know SurfEasy will work hard to look after your online privacy.

< Here >

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin should've made the title better:

The SurfEasy is a part of Opera. Hence, the title should label it as re-branding / merging Opera VPN.

7 hours ago, Reefa said:

I would not touch it...

Sure, one faces the same issues you'd expect from a free VPN application.

That said, those issues are nothing new to Opera VPN users since that's also a free product. Overall, it's a real alternative for those who are affected by Opera VPN's deprecation.

On undefined at 11:58 PM, OG1502 said:

Sure, one faces the same issues you'd expect from a free VPN application.

That said, those issues are nothing new to Opera VPN users since that's also a free product. Overall, it's a real alternative for those who are affected by Opera VPN's deprecation.

If  you don't get but 3 Mbps   like  Reffa's link says why not just use ProtonVPN Free  witch is most likely faster than 3 Mbps and no ads ?

https://protonvpn.com/support/android-vpn-setup/

35 minutes ago, OG1502 said:

That's a great replacement as well.

Only issue is that they prohibit BitTorrent traffic, unlike Betternet.

Oh  that kind of sucks  but i don't use  BitTorrent apps no way    I do all my torrenting  in the cloud  and  i pay for my vpns  and  unlimited  torrents and hosters in  the cloud    both of them have servers  with great speeds.   You can  use seedr.cc  for free  up to 2 GB  a download  and download with ProtonVPN Free and do torrents in the cloud .  I use to do this years ago with another free vpn that blocked p2p ,  but i got hooked  on paid vpns from free giveaways and after all the good giveaways stopped due to people abusing the giveaways I started  buying  vpns.    3 Mbps  would be too  slow for me to fool with downloading anyway 300 KBps = 3 Mbps that would  be like me going back in time 7 years ago when I was on satellite Internet.   :tooth:

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

Oh  that kind of sucks  but i don't use  BitTorrent apps no way    I do all my torrenting  in the cloud  and  i pay for my vpns  and  unlimited  torrents and hosters in  the cloud    both of them have servers  with great speeds.   You can  use seedr.cc  for free  up to 2 GB  a download  and download with ProtonVPN Free and do torrents in the cloud .  I use to do this years ago with another free vpn that blocked p2p ,  but i got hooked  on paid vpns from free giveaways and after all the good giveaways stopped due to people abusing the giveaways I started  buying  vpns.    3 Mbps  would be too  slow for me to fool with downloading anyway 300 KBps = 3 Mbps that would  be like me going back in time 7 years ago when I was on satellite Internet.   :tooth:

Oh, that's such a good idea. I hadn't really looked into cloud based torrent clients.

Good tip.

2 hours ago, steven36 said:

why not just use ProtonVPN Free

ProtonVPN suffers many privacy problems, especially in Linux. They are ipv6 and dns leaks and kill switch problems. ProtonVPN also keeps connection logs (timestamps retained indefinitely).

Sven Taylor: "ProtonVPN has informed me that the Android client is now blocking IPv6, although I have still seen complaints about IPv6 leaks."

Source: https://restoreprivacy.com/protonvpn-review/.

3 hours ago, Radpop said:

ProtonVPN suffers many privacy problems, especially in Linux. They are ipv6 and dns leaks and kill switch problems. ProtonVPN also keeps connection logs (timestamps retained indefinitely).

Sven Taylor: "ProtonVPN has informed me that the Android client is now blocking IPv6, although I have still seen complaints about IPv6 leaks."

Source: https://restoreprivacy.com/protonvpn-review/.

Many vpns on Linux  come without a client even and some of the ones that have clients  don't even come  with DNS leak protection and you have  to change you're  DNS   to you're vpns  DNS  or another one yourself  and  if you   have IPv6 leaks thats another issue you need to address yourself  by disabling  it temporary in the terminal  every time  before you use a vpn  or permanently across  reboots  by editing config files.. Linux is not Windows most people that use Linux expect to have to learn to  configure problems for themselves as they arise  and if you don't expect too  you may as well stay on Windows,  because It's not a lazy mans OS were you depend on a software's GUI to fix everything for you and you will need to learn how to problem solve on you're own , sooner or latter. 

When I 1st started using Linux  the fact I used windows software  haunted me and i used it as and excuse to go back to windows but as time went on I got so tired of windows that I made my mind up to mostly only use Linux and today I don't  use windows software when in Linux no vms  or wine , only Linux software  if i wanted to use Windows i would  just boot into it.

So  none of these are problems that  you can't fix yourself on Linux but the timestamps logging, witch would only be a problem  if you were trying to evade  law enforcement  from having a recored of  time to pin you to a crime scene and vs ads  and security  problems like betternet has,  i think I would rather take a chance with timestamps because i don't plain to use a free vpn  to commit federal  crimes or felony crimes in my country downloading  warez is only a civil  issue and it would be very hard to prove you done it even with a vpn that  keeps time stamps.

I would not suggest you buy ProtonVPN were talking about free vpns  were  every single VPN  will have  many cons ether they log and/or inject ads on you're system , some even sell data and may be using you in a botnet or ether have very limited data plains , were if they capping  how much bandwidth  you get a month they have to be logging you're bandwidth anyways regardless of what they tell you or don't tell you. You get what you pay for :P 

ProtonVPN as a  paid  product is not very good at all even and not worth what they ask for it.  It has slow speeds compared to other paid vpns , they keep time stamps when other paid vpns claim they don't keep any logs at all , And for what you pay for it a month you could buy 2 vpns  with better privacy policies.  :lol:

[GUIDE/APP][ROOT] Disable/Block IPv6 on Android (Prevent IPv6 Leak on VPN)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/networking/guide-disable-ipv6-android-t3298659

I suggest if you having vpn leaks to go to  a forum  be it a Windows forum , Linux Forum or a  Smart Phone forum and  most of the time a experienced user can tell you  how to fix it  or most of the time you can just do a web search with a search engine and the answer is already there .  I see it everyday people  write articles  only exposing the problems when they are working solutions  and many  complain about problems and if they put half the effort in as they complain and just  do a little research ,  they would  be fixing it instead of complaining , asking or assuming about it.  not just in VPNs  but everything to do with software .:tooth:

Archived