Does anyone know how to debug a DISM log?

nsan3

I recently installed Win10 on my VM and was playing on it. I could see that the "Winsxs" folder was expanding at a rapid pace without any particular reason. I mean I did not install any new software, have disabled the Windows Updates and have disabled Windows Defender as well.

I came to know that if I run the cmd command "Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup" then the Winsxs folder would be freed up. But they is an error which I receive right after executing it and I receive the log file as well from Windows/Log/DISM folder path.

Please find the error message here -> 5ad6c90deff21_DISMError.thumb.PNG.0eae8c1e332580c8f8658e11cb3ea087.PNG

For the log file please kindly PM me.

Thanks.

• Replies 14
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my practice what I found about DISM, it will not work under virtual environment. For example - if you set on your system program such Deep Freeze, Shadow Defender... which simulate changes to your system or hard drive (in short - virtual changes, new system on new reboot) than DISM, Framework 3.5 install, Windows Store, third part Apple Mouse Driver install, they all will not work. DISM could execute some commands, but other commands can not!

6 hours ago, vissha said:

None of the "DISM" commands works for me, everything shows up with these 2 errors :(

5 hours ago, BTJB said:

In my practice what I found about DISM, it will not work under virtual environment. For example - if you set on your system program such Deep Freeze, Shadow Defender... which simulate changes to your system or hard drive (in short - virtual changes, new system on new reboot) than DISM, Framework 3.5 install, Windows Store, third part Apple Mouse Driver install, they all will not work. DISM could execute some commands, but other commands can not!

So in short, your telling me that a Win10 which runs on a VM, cannot run the "DISM" command?? Can you show me some links which says so, thanks.

On 4/18/2018 at 3:37 AM, BTJB said:

This works on VM, @knowledge helped me out after going through the error logs. Who told you that it doesn't run on VM buddy??

knowledge-Spammer
18 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

This works on VM, @knowledge helped me out after going through the error logs. Who told you that it doesn't run on VM buddy??

is glad it helped and works or helped u

7 hours ago, nsan3 said:

From my experience of course. And it is right that as I said! I do not know how is going on VM, but in our case there is clear issue for virtual environment on real system. You and @knowledge didn't provide any solution for the others for further help. Instead you say you had backstage contact on PM and full disinformation for the others. Maybe he told you to insert the disc? Obviously he forgot that there is a forum.

knowledge-Spammer
1 hour ago, BTJB said:

From my experience of course. And it is right that as I said! I do not know how is going on VM, but in our case there is clear issue for virtual environment on real system. You and @knowledge didn't provide any solution for the others for further help. Instiead you say you had backstage contact on PM and full disinformation for the others. Maybe he told you to insert the disc? Obviously he forgot that there is a forum.

I just looked at logfile  as was asked for help  and seems he have nomore problems

55 minutes ago, knowledge said:

I just looked at logfile  as was asked for help  and seems he have nomore problems

And where is the log file?

knowledge-Spammer
50 minutes ago, BTJB said:

nsan3 did not post in open topic as its a logfile it maybe have things inside he not want all people to see  so he inboxedme ask for little help

8 hours ago, BTJB said:

From my experience of course. And it is right that as I said! I do not know how is going on VM, but in our case there is clear issue for virtual environment on real system. You and @knowledge didn't provide any solution for the others for further help. Instead you say you had backstage contact on PM and full disinformation for the others. Maybe he told you to insert the disc? Obviously he forgot that there is a forum.

Thanks. The log file was shared with @knowledge, that's how he provided me with the solution. If others face a similar situation I'll be more than glad to help them out. And about the VM, the DISM commands works on a VM, have no doubt on that, this is from my experience by the way.

5 hours ago, BTJB said:

Did you ask me for the log file earlier to debug my issue?

48 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

Did you ask me for the log file earlier to debug my issue?

You can share with us only this part which you want to fix. I have no experience in debug. But have knowledge about many issues you not know about.

3 minutes ago, BTJB said:

You can share with us only this part which you want to fix. I have no experience in debug. But have knowledge about many issues you not know about.

I cannot make heads or tails about any logs to be frank with you. That is why I wrote on the thread that I can share the entire log if anyone PM's me for it. I appreciate you helping me out, but ya sorry, I do not know which part of the log is relevant.

Archived