Can you recommend me software to make whole drive backups?

mkc21

On 4/19/2018 at 6:12 PM, crooky said:

Be careful Depends on UEFI or Legacy boot.

Yes, need to be sure your imaging S/W program can handle your OS ;)

• Replies 59
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys

There is only one backup software and that's Veeam! It made its name in the virtual world originally.

Its free and does physical boxes and has all the functionality of all the others without the need for medical help :)

I've tried (over the years) most other brands of backup software and hands down its Veeam for reliability and usability.

Just Google = Veeam Agent for MS windows Free.

• 1 month later...
smallhagrid

Adding a slight branching to expand this topic a wee bit...:

How about reliable drive imaging for Linux users ??

EXT4 seems to be the hitch in that realm - as some (like Macrium & RDI) claim to handle it, but thus far none have seemed to do so reliably.

Of course the absolute holy grail for Linux users will be a utility that takes an entire, already customized installation WITH all the user data and will easily make it into a live/boot/installable media...

This did exist in Remastersys until it died, and was 'sposed to become a reality with a fork of that called Respin, which now also seems abandoned, sadly.

I know very little about Veeam - it has always seemed overly complicated to me vs. just having a boot media for an imager.

A bit of info from there=> https://www.veeam.com/linux-backup-agent-faq.html

21 minutes ago, smallhagrid said:

Adding a slight branching to expand this topic a wee bit...:

How about reliable drive imaging for Linux users ??

EXT4 seems to be the hitch in that realm - as some (like Macrium & RDI) claim to handle it, but thus far none have seemed to do so reliably.

For Linux and Windows Acronis TrueImage.

smallhagrid

Thanks for responding to my query !!

I have ATI & it is wonderful...up 'till it hits EXT4, sadly.

With most users now headed that way it seems like a good time for the utility makers to get that right !?!

smallhagrid

Seems to make an image just fine...but:

Makes corrupted restores.

8 hours ago, J.C said:

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows FREE hands down!!!

https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint-server-backup-free.html

I guess, two (2) times is enough, isn't it? :think:

16 hours ago, smallhagrid said:

Seems to make an image just fine...but:

Makes corrupted restores.

That is strange! they have a rescue disk that is Linux based so I don't think that is something "new" for them.

I used the software long time ago with Ext3 and it worked just fine, didn't use the software recently with Linux...

7 hours ago, pc71520 said:

I guess, two (2) times is enough, isn't it? :think:

Hahahha, didn't know I posted it here already! Sorry.

• 3 months later...

I've always liked Acronis or Ghost and prefer ghost for these reasons:

You can hot image a running system

Comes with ghost explorer which is a portable app that mounts the image so you can  extract as many or few files as you want instead of the whole image

Automatically leaves out dumb windows files like hibernation file and the page file that just take space in the image for no reason

Acronis is much better for linux though, and I have ext4 and it restores fine for me, maybe @smallhagrid your source drive has a bad sector?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @mkc21,

I personally use Veeam® Agent. You can obtain a free NFR license key directly on their website.

The first time you use Veeam it will create a recovery .iso that you can burn on a DVD or make a bootable USB.

You'll be able to save volumes backups to:

- Local Storage
- Shared Folder SMB (CIFS) on a NAS
- Microsoft OneDrive

- Veeam backup repository or Veeam Cloud Connect repository

l8r!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2018 at 8:52 AM, dcs18 said:

Acronis True Image (ATI.)

@dcs18 I backup my windows 7 disk with Acronis Ttue Image, but how about Drive SnapShot? Do you recomment it as a second or third choice.

If yes or not, why? And If you trried it before? 

Thanks for your input.

17 hours ago, vitorio said:

@dcs18 I backup my windows 7 disk with Acronis Ttue Image, but how about Drive SnapShot? Do you recomment it as a second or third choice.

If yes or not, why? And If you trried it before? 

Thanks for your input.

Hello vitorio!

I've never had the occasion to use Drive SnapShot — the only other backup & restore program that I've ever tried-out is Macrium.

The reason I prefer Acronis over any other program is that the backup and restore is so reliable that I have never met with a failure in my entire career . . . . not even once — I perform a full backup of my system partition at least once a day . . . . sometimes even twice a day.

The key to the Acronis reliability that negates the need for a second backup & restore program is a hidden function of validating backups — this option is not enabled by default and when enabled, ensures a rock solid backup that will never fail (please note, enabling the validating feature increases the backup time.)

On 4/15/2018 at 2:36 PM, mkc21 said:

Do you use any software for doing backups of whole drives? Which ones can you recommend? 

When it comes to important data and good hdd health, i don't bother myself with other stuff risking integrity and safety

i integrated only the best ones on my WinPE10:

3266.png

(i never install them on a system only when differential/incremental backup is needed. in this case, Macrium Reflect is the one to go for me)

On 10/27/2018 at 8:57 AM, Jordan said:

When it comes to important data and good hdd health, i don't bother myself with other stuff risking integrity and safety

i integrated only the best ones on my WinPE10:

3266.png

(i never install them on a system only when differential/incremental backup is needed. in this case, Macrium Reflect is the one to go for me)

Hi dear friend Jordan

Can you share your WinPE10 with us?

Thank's in advanced.

Regards

Hi Guys,

Some of you have already used the Paragon solution, Backup & Recovery, I used the Paragon HDM Premium and it always worked well, now they have released this new one, I just downloaded it to see how it works, but I wanted your opinion too ...

Thank's in advanced.

Regards

Just now, JeepWillys58 said:

Hi dear friend Jordan

Can you share your WinPE10 with us?

Thank's in advanced.

Regards

There are better and fully loaded bootable iso's like those created by Sergei Strelec or Bob Omb

Mine is exclusively dedicated to backup/restore/partition tasks

This one is a test on RS5

02.png

But i'll consider sharing it soon maybe.

Archived