Can you recommend me software to make whole drive backups?

mkc21

• Replies 59
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MacriumReflect, boot for computer.

What type of drives do you back up? If it is phone, then something else is needed.

Macrium and ATI 2018 are the best , you can get !

Both programs never let me down and restore for 100%...................!!              :D

By the past, for me Gparted has done a great job several times (with W7 and W8). You just need to avoid to forget one thing : at the end, restore the flag boot (specially true for any Windows). Otherwise the OS won't start but it's really easy to fix this little trouble.

Another vote for Macrium Reflect Free Edition. It has saved my bacon a dozen times. In fact, as I was installing the latest Windows Insider Preview Build the other day, I accidentally deleted my D storage drive. I lost all of my games. Fortunately, I had a back up of the drive, and voila! Macrium to the rescue!

For drive backups I use Active BootDisk, comes with alot of other features as well (has Windows password reset & hex editor).

The process is insanely fast compared to times where I had to use CloneZilla.

Not only is CloneZilla slow, but if your partition / drive has the dirty bit set (checkdisk messages / repair popups) it won't even let you clone it at the filesystem level, forcing you to clone the drive / partition block-by-block using dd.

TLDR; Active BootDisk is a good utility that fits your needs. Avoid CloneZilla at any and all costs.

I tried Win 7 own image backup...worked well but very very slow. Then I tried RDrive Image...it was faster. Finally I tried (and still use) Macrium Reflect...very fast and allows to deploy the system image on other computer with different architecture. I would definitely recommend it. Also the tutorial is easy to understand for a noob like me!!:D:D:D

Acronis.  Year over year it just works and covers so many scenarios.  If in USA watch Frys for promotionals ranging from $0 to $20.

On 15/04/2018 at 10:47 AM, jabrwky said:

MacriumReflect, boot for computer.

What type of drives do you back up? If it is phone, then something else is needed.

SSD disks with Windows 10. 

3 hours ago, mkc21 said:

SSD disks with Windows 10.

Perfect for SSD: easily make whole drive image;  individual partitions;  or clone to new drive.

Boot from DVD or USB.

PM if need more.

In addition to AOMEI Backupper (free), I also use Active Disk Image, Image for Windows and AXTM64 on a daily basis and keep 7 days worth of back-ups for each program, all held on an internal 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD (all other drives are SSD's) - never had to re-install from a DVD disk in 7 years - belt and braces but it clearly works for me :D  

J.D's got a couple good points if you're new to this - 1) keep multiple copies.  In addition to the 7 days I keep one that's 6 months and 1 month old.  2) I connect the backup hard disk(s) externally and  then disconnect that drive after the backup in case some ransomware or ?? gets backed-up or otherwise transferred to the backup drive.  3) since I've got hard drives laying around  and they're so cheap, I make rotating backups over 2 external drives in case Murphy goes crazy on me.  Use 1 drive for connected for daily backups and they connect a 2nd and use it for a weekly is safe and reasonable safety.

1 hour ago, davmil said:

J.D's got a couple good points if you're new to this - 1) keep multiple copies.  In addition to the 7 days I keep one that's 6 months and 1 month old.  2) I connect the backup hard disk(s) externally and  then disconnect that drive after the backup in case some ransomware or ?? gets backed-up or otherwise transferred to the backup drive.  3) since I've got hard drives laying around  and they're so cheap, I make rotating backups over 2 external drives in case Murphy goes crazy on me.  Use 1 drive for connected for daily backups and they connect a 2nd and use it for a weekly is safe and reasonable safety.

That seems like a great backup solution, but how can you automate this ?

The ideal solution would be a software where you can set tasks as you mentionned, register the drives to be recognized and just click a button to begin the process.

2 hours ago, Rekkio said:

The ideal solution would be a software where you can set tasks as you mentionned, register the drives to be recognized and just click a button to begin the process.

For me, I set Task Scheduler to run at 10.30am, 14.30pm and 20.30pm, daily - no problems .;)  

That seems like a great backup solution, but how can you automate this ?

Acronis has that sort of scheduling flexibility built into the software UI. However, I recommend physically disconnecting the drive, at least the SATA cable so nothing can reach your backup.  Best practice has you taking one copy of the backup off-site but that's a bit much for most home systems.  I take one copy of the image to the office and leave it in the desk drawer then swap the drive  once every week or so just in case Skylab falls on my house.

Archived