Over 80% of US teens are iPhone owners, according to survey

Matrix

Over 80% of US teens are iPhone owners, according to survey

The number keeps on growing

2017-11-24-image-3.jpg

Are you an Android person or an Apple person? If you happen to be a teenager in the US, it seems you'll probably be in the latter camp. According to a new survey, 82 percent of teens in America now own an iPhone.

The data comes from Piper Jaffray’s bi-annual ‘Taking Stock With Teens’ survey. It asks over 6000 US teenagers, who have an average age of 16.4, from across 40 states about their spending habits and favorite brands.

The 82 percent figure is up from 78 percent last fall. Back in Spring 2014, only 60 percent of US teens owned iPhones. As you can see in the graph below, the number of owners has increased virtually every year.

2018-04-11-image-4.jpg

Apple will be pleased to learn that their devices are so popular with US teens, especially as their numbers could soon go up—84 percent of participants say their next phone will be an iPhone. There’s also the fact that many of these young owners could form a brand loyalty to Apple that will last throughout their lives.

The popularity of the iPhone is having a positive effect on Apple’s other products, too. As noted by Business Insider, 20 percent of teens plan to buy an Apple Watch in the next six months, and Apple is the second-most desired brand among upper-income teens, beaten only by luxury watchmaker Rolex.

It might hold most of the US teen market, but Apple doesn't dominate in every area. A report from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners last month showed that Android had a higher loyalty rating (91 percent) compared to iOS (86 percent). The figure measured the percentage of US customers who stayed with their operating system when upgrading their phone in 2017.

Source

• Replies 7
  • Views 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

iPhones are terrible unless you're fully invested into Apple's ecosystem of apps. Which are quite frankly total garbage. I may hate Google, but Android is still just better imo. Most of teens have iPhone because it's a fashion status symbol and they want one because their peers have one. You understand this when you grow up and realize you don't need to follow X brand like a sheep.

7 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

iPhones are terrible unless you're fully invested into Apple's ecosystem of apps. Which are quite frankly total garbage. I may hate Google, but Android is still just better imo. Most of teens have iPhone because it's a fashion status symbol and they want one because their peers have one. You understand this when you grow up and realize you don't need to follow X brand like a sheep.

I agree with you. But I think they prefer I iPhone since this was the phone the learned to used since little kids to play with it. Even I prefered Android I believe is more difficult to use compare to an iPhone.

Good thing I was an Early IDEVICE Adopter, got tired of all the limitations and went to ANDROID and never went back..

On 4/14/2018 at 8:49 AM, vitorio said:

I agree with you. But I think they prefer I iPhone since this was the phone the learned to used since little kids to play with it. Even I prefered Android I believe is more difficult to use compare to an iPhone.

More difficult by what metric? If you limit users to a very narrow scope of features, of course it'll be more complicated. But frankly, most vendors and Google itself has trimmed down the essentials and hidden away the complex stuff. So, noobs and experts can have it their way. iPhone is more for "dumb people". Which is why it's not as customizable as Android. But it's easier to learn and use as a result. It's hard to have it both ways, really. But that's how it is with all the things.

For example, my mom doesn't need any fancy apps, no internet connection, nothing. So I gave her my ancient HTC Wildfire. Replaced the launcher with Windows Phone one (so she has big tiles instead of small app icons) and placed just Phone, Messages, Gallery and Camera apps on the front "page" and hidden away everything else. Disabled internet and locked it to 2G network. Battery lasts her for ages as a result and she has a larger screen and a usable camera with nothing but essentials. Something unobtainable on any feature phone (which usually have tiny screens and really crappy camera). Try doing that with iPhone. I'm quite certain it's not even possible.

knowledge-Spammer

and yet if u try and call the 80% they never pick up the phone ? crazy

On 11/4/2018 at 9:36 PM, DonyMach1 said:

The 82 percent figure is up from 78 percent last fall. Back in Spring 2014, only 60 percent of US teens owned iPhones. As you can see in the graph below, the number of owners has increased virtually every year.

Just a stupid doubt: are all those kids real iPhone users or some of them JUST SAY they have  an iPhone, because it's a "status symbol"? Also, take note that some important cell phone service providers give out iPhones DIRT CHEAP - linked to a good contract, with plans favoring the phone company.

While iPhones are good, for about the same money you can purchase other brand phones from Samsung, LG and even latest Motorola as good as an iPhone and users are about as happy and satisfied using them as iPhone users.

Archived