Driver signature related issue in a Lenovo laptop

rudrax

One of my friends brought a Lenovo laptop, Lenovo ThinkPad E41-15 yesterday to my attention requiring to install windows 7 in it. I did that and went to lenovo support for drivers. The strange thing is I can install all the drivers successfully but windows can't verify their their digital signature. Come on microsoft, those are OEM drivers!

Here what I have tried so far-

• I verified MD5, SHA-1 and SHA-256 of the driver files with the hashes given on the download page. They all are intact.
  • Tried installing the drivers by disabling the driver signature verification. No problem in that case - everything works just fine but only for the session. After you restart, driver signature verification fails and system switches to generic VGA driver instead of Radeon R4.
  • Tried force install the driver but it shows signature verification error (the driver is installed BTW, it is just windows is not allowing to use it).

I don't know what is there left to try.

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would uninstall any drivers related to that which I may have installed, enable the driver signature check if disabled, restart the PC and then use the lenovo system update utility to let it auto-update and fix the thing. If that doesn't work, I would try a third-party driver update tool like DriverEasy.

From an elevated Command Prompt, run the following commands:—

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

I was considering to use the Lenovo System Update Utility but as I downloaded official OEM drivers from official source, I thought what difference it would gonna make!

I will try it now though. And I don't think that 3rd party driver update utility can do anything here as windows will block them anyway.

Not yet. Manually downloaded a driver from windows update catalog but that didn't work. 

12 hours ago, Undertaker said:

No update? :s

The guy took his laptop as I provided him a temporary fix which is to keep pressing the Esc during POST and when the Advanced Boot Menu appears, select the "Disable driver signature enforcement" from there. Looks like his is doing okay with that.

That's a bummer.....we replied in like within 15 mins of your posting, I thought you had atleast that much time. :sadwalk: 

14 hours ago, Undertaker said:

That's a bummer.....we replied in like within 15 mins of your posting, I thought you had atleast that much time. :sadwalk: 

Sorry mate. I appreciate your efforts and I know you deserve a result for the procedure you have suggested but that guy was in a hurry and needed it like ASAP. As soon as I told him about the temporary fix, that fcuker came within the hour and took it.

• Administrator

Just wait and see, he will be using that for years thinking that this is how it would always work, even if the drivers would have somehow been fixed via OS updates on it. :P

For a real fix for it, try contacting the manufacturer there, tell them the drivers are not digitally signed on them.

Archived