Filter to warn/block us when clicking on Submit Topic to avoid Duplicate threads

vissha

Hi Nsane Team( @shought@Lite@DKT27@anuraag@jordan4x@Batu69 and others ) & All Members,

The duplicate posting with same time, difference only in secs/millisecs to few mins is really bad for contributors. They feel guilty/sorry when someone reports or they found it. Also, even the thread is locked, it is still visible until the forum goes down/maintenance.

The search will not help since we search and then post it but the duplicate thread still happen as the time between searching and clicking "Submit Topic" is where the issue located.

Hence, we need a warn/block notification with topic name check filter when Submitting topic.

• While creating the topic until we click on submit the topic, it should check if there is any parallel submission with same topic(even if modified slightly) and warn us that there is another topic being posted recently.
  • Until the Submit Topic is clicked, if nothing found, it should check for submission in parallel and block the secondary submission(time difference) and block the submission with notification that the thread is not created since this is duplicate submission for the same topic.

Nsaners, please share your suggestions/opinions in regards to this feedback.... I hope Nsane Team wont remove it...

Follow up - 1:

• vissha changed the title to Filter to warn/block us when clicking on Submit Topic to avoid Duplicate threads
  • Replies 15
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't have nor even a bicycle, but we need a limousine....

Maybe when you click the submit topic button it first brings up a list of similarly named topics and asks you if you still want to create your new topic or post to one of the existing ones. A useful idea but difficult to implement unless IPS includes something natively. I'm particularly against 3rd party hacks and addons because at some point when the core software is updated everything gets rekt.

I try to do a search  and if i mess up if i catch it in time ,i will change the topic to another one or report it, but if  i don't  i never meant to, no one is perfect. try searching with keywords  before hitting the post button that helps me alot.

1 hour ago, vissha said:

Hi Nsane Team( @shought@Lite@DKT27@anuraag@jordan4x@Batu69 and others ) & All Members,

The duplicate posting with same time, difference only in secs/millisecs to few mins is really bad for contributors. They feel guilty/sorry when someone reports or they found it. Also, even the thread is locked, it is still visible until the forum goes down/maintenance.

The search will not help since we search and then post it but the duplicate thread still happen as the time between searching and clicking "Submit Topic" is where the issue located.

Hence, we need a warn/block notification with topic name check filter when Submitting topic.

• While creating the topic until we click on submit the topic, it should check if there is any parallel submission with same topic(even if modified slightly) and warn us that there is another topic being posted recently.
  • Until the Submit Topic is clicked, if nothing found, it should check for submission in parallel and block the secondary submission(time difference) and block the submission with notification that the thread is not created since this is duplicate submission for the same topic.

Nsaners, please share your suggestions/opinions in regards to this feedback.... I hope Nsane Team wont remove it...

Not viable at all, you would need to constantly check and reference an db, which means you need to poll it constantly for updates, thus in turn increasing server load exponentially. You would need too.. forget it.

Use Report function or search, we just need active admins / mods to merge threads.

1 hour ago, LeetPirate said:

Maybe when you click the submit topic button it first brings up a list of similarly named topics and asks you if you still want to create your new topic or post to one of the existing ones. A useful idea but difficult to implement unless IPS includes something natively. I'm particularly against 3rd party hacks and addons because at some point when the core software is updated everything gets rekt.

If you have any addon/hacks for this, then I think it is not a problem since the code is gonna be implemented only when posting threads(any new threads). Before updating IPS/IPB, we need to backup of the addon/hack and remove it. Once the forum s/w is updated, you import from backup/re-add it. However, we need lighter and simpler but powerful code/hack/addon.

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

I try to do a search  and if i mess up if i catch it in time ,i will change the topic to another one or report it, but if  i don't  i never meant to, no one is perfect. try searching with keywords  before hitting the post button that helps me alot.

1 hour ago, FreeRyde said:

Yup, search always works for me.

Not always. I've experienced at many times. See today, TeamViewer & SUMo threads had the issue. However, I searched before hitting submit. Also, I'm sure that many have experienced the same.

1 hour ago, Dodel said:

Not viable at all, you would need to constantly check and reference an db, which means you need to poll it constantly for updates, thus in turn increasing server load exponentially. You would need too.. forget it.

Use Report function or search, we just need active admins / mods to merge threads.

Not so. I'm not suggesting for complete search. However, the recent threads(few mins to half an hour of threads posted would be enough) would help since we have search, recent topics for older threads than the specified time.

7 minutes ago, vissha said:

Not always. I've experienced at may times. See today, TeamViewer & SUMo threads had the issue. However, I searched before hitting submit. Also, I'm sure that many have experienced the same.

Oh I also forgot to say  i also look  in the  fourm i'm about to post in to see what has been  posted sometimes  it's tricky if posted in wrong  forum.  If its a new software update it should not be very hard to  too  look and see what has been posted .

8 hours ago, Dodel said:

Simple DNSCrypt 0.5.3 was my major crime. :tooth: I searched and it wasn't posted, I posted it in two minutes and somebody have been quicker.  :hehe: I feel so guilty!:dance2:

8 hours ago, vissha said:

Not always. I've experienced at may times. See today, TeamViewer & SUMo threads had the issue. However, I searched before hitting submit. Also, I'm sure that many have experienced the same.

8 hours ago, steven36 said:

Oh I also forgot to say  i also look  in the  fourm i'm about to post in to see what has been  posted sometimes  it's tricky if posted in wrong  forum.  If its a new software update it should not be very hard to  too  look and see what has been posted .

It's true that despite best efforts, it could have two similar topics minutes apart. For example if one person is creating a topic and is in process of typing or adding content, then a different person searches and finds no similar topic so that second person decides to also create a topic, both people end up creating the same topic and only realise after they click the post button.

If it happens and I see it then I would usually merge the threads, no harm in reporting and certainly no need to feel guilty. Now if the topics are like an entire day apart then perhaps the second poster should feel a little amount of guilt :P because posting a similar topic hours or days later is like trolling the first person who posted.

I don't want to derail the topic but this is also worth mentioning.

There is a related issue where some people may edit an older topic and change the title and content to match the latest version of a software. We don't advocate this mainly because this isn't a developer forum but there are other good reasons. I have seen that exceptions to this general policy can be made if the developer is an active member. The other good reasons why we prefer new threads for new versions are:

• sometimes people search the web for information or issues related to a specific version and they won't find it easily if threads keep getting renamed with new versions.
  • it helps if you don't have to go through a million pages to find the few pages of relevant information you may want.
  • comparing against a previous version becomes more difficult if there is hardly any information to find.

There are lots of arguments that can be presented for renaming vs new threads but at the end of it we should remember that this is mainly a tech support type of forum so new topic for new version is a better fit and also happens to be my personal preference.

Sounds all very dandy — but, the question is . . . . . . . . . . who will bell the cat? :naughty:

The topic Forum Upgrade Bugs - Site / Forum Feedback, was setup just to handle such matters (WRT the new forum software) and has (as of typing this post,) already run into 18 long pages — now, how many filters have been written to mitigate all the issues that were reported . . . . . . well, merely 1 (that too — only because someone else disclosed the code.)

The excuse that is constantly offered is that new filters are breaking the Board — of course, they would if one did not have the required knowledge to write the correct ones.

So, the million dollar question . . . . . . . . . . who will bell the cat? :naughty:

• Administrator

While Leetpirate and Dodel has said everything required to say, I must mention a few things.

It's quite impossible to implement such things in IPB without plugins, which too, are limited in numbers and what they can do, as they are written by limited number of people expertised in this particular software of IPB. A person otherwise would need to write code specific this, while the code required to do the above might not be any easy for anyone, keeping it updated is another problem altogether. For example, shought has had written many tools throughout the years, almost all of them break after an upgrade. Fixing them requires time and effort, which is not possible always to those who write it.

Also, I personally think fixing these things - duplicate topics and such is something what basically staff is for, in addition to dealing with bad members obviously.

In addition to that, it's nothing wrong when two members post a software near each other, we all are humans, so no big deal here.

@DKT27@shought & others: At the current stage, If we have no better support with IPB for necessary functioning and no better plugin support, then why stay with IPB. We could create a parallel test forum in vbulletin and migrate eventually with stability, maturity & time.

Also, since @DKT27 is not the coder here. I'd like to get a reply directly from @shought/the one who does coding fixes for this forum. Then many would provide options to him directly to get a clarity on many issues with the forum. I'm sure @dcs18@knowledge@steven36 and others would surely have good queries & suggestions for him.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, vissha said:

@DKT27@shought & others: At the current stage, If we have no better support with IPB for necessary functioning and no better plugin support, then why stay with IPB. We could create a parallel test forum in vbulletin and migrate eventually with stability, maturity & time.

Also, since @DKT27 is not the coder here. I'd like to get a reply directly from @shought/the one who does coding fixes for this forum. Then many would provide options to him directly to get a clarity on many issues with the forum. I'm sure @dcs18@knowledge@steven36 and others would surely have good queries & suggestions for him.

Not to offend you, but I was personally involved in making / adjusting / themes of the forum software you have mentioned. It was complete crap to say the least. Yes, it had less bugs, but it was quite different and hard to work on. I felt that it was not even following some of the standards of the internet, which is quite idiotic. So yes, there are less buggy softwares out there, but that does not mean they are worth using. I'm however, quite impressed with XenForo atleast from the looks of it - I have not tried much of it. Yes I know who has made it, but still looks better. But due to many reasons, especially technical, it's not possible for us to use it.

If fixing code is hard, let me tell you that writing one is even harder and writing code in a different software you have not written yourself or you do not have any source code for is even harder - no matter what forum software you use. For example, log out from the forums, see that notification of you being guest and need to login. Below that, there is one notice we have kept to not use Hotmail / Outlook email address. Now, I wanted to put that notice on the signup page itself, after which, a days if not months of trying, turns out that, atleast from what I understood, IPB does not allow us to change any code on the signup page, atleast not from the tools made available to us. Now imagine how easy it would be to make such big changes to the forums which requires a lot of coding to be done without even IPB easily allowing it.

2 hours ago, vissha said:

@DKT27@shought@DKT27@shoughtI'm sure @dcs18@knowledge@steven36 and others would surely have good queries & suggestions for him.

You probably prefer the previous IPB version to the current one . . . . . . right? Everyone does . . . . . the truth is that the present one is inherently much better — however, the previous version was comprehensively pimped. Had personally shared more than 500 codes with shought . . . . . who in turn, had dutifully deployed most of the codes at server level.

At the moment, only a handful of us at nSane, use upgraded codes created specifically for the present form of the forum software — we find most of the bugs submitted to be downright amusing (and, the response to feedback to those reports — downright hilarious.) :lol:

When feedback coupled with sharing meets (mates) with pessimism — the step-child born from that wedlock . . . . . is selfishness (at the cost of other members — can't express how much it breaks my heart to type this last line.)

Archived