Facebook can track your browsing even after you've logged out, judge says

steven36

Judge dismisses lawsuit accusing Facebook of tracking users’ activity, saying responsibility was on plaintiffs to keep browsing history private

https://s7d2.turboimg.net/sp/096867818548b7ca7333b16ae388fd6d/facebook-thumb-like.jpg

A judge has dismissed a lawsuit accusing Facebook of tracking users’ web browsing activity even after they logged out of the social networking site.

The plaintiffs alleged that Facebook used the “like” buttons found on other websites to track which sites they visited, meaning that the Menlo Park, California-headquartered company could build up detailed records of their browsing history. The plaintiffs argued that this violated federal and state privacy and wiretapping laws.

US district judge Edward Davila in San Jose, California, dismissed the case because he said that the plaintiffs failed to show that they had a reasonable expectation of privacy or suffered any realistic economic harm or loss.

Davila said that plaintiffs could have taken steps to keep their browsing histories private, for example by using the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out tool or using “incognito mode”, and failed to show that Facebook illegally “intercepted” or eavesdropped on their communications.

“Facebook’s intrusion could have easily been blocked, but plaintiffs chose not to do so,” said Davila, who dismissed an earlier version of the five-year-old case in October 2015.

Clicking on the Facebook “like” button on a third party website – for example, theguardian.com – allows people to share pieces of content to Facebook without having to copy and paste the link into a status update on the social network.

When a user visits a page with an embedded “like” button, the web browser sends information to both Facebook and the server where the page is located.

“The fact that a user’s web browser automatically sends the same information to both parties does not establish that one party intercepted the user’s communication with the other,” said Davila.

The plaintiffs cannot bring privacy and wiretapping claims again, Davila said, but can pursue a breach of contract claim again.

Australian internet security blogger Nik Cubrilovic first discovered that Facebook was apparently tracking users’ web browsing after they logged off in 2011. Responding to Cubrilovic, Facebook engineer Gregg Stefancik confirmed that Facebook has cookies that persist after log-out as a safety measure (to prevent others from trying to access the account) but that the company does not use the cookies to track users or sell personal information to third parties.

However, in 2014 Facebook started using web browsing data for delivering targeted “interest-based” advertising – which explains why you see ads for products you have already been looking at online appear in your Facebook feed.

To address privacy concerns, Facebook introduced a way for users to opt out of this type of advertising targeting from within user settings.

“We are pleased with the court’s ruling,” said a Facebook spokeswoman.

Source

• Replies 8
  • Views 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, knowledge said:

is time to remove facebook from this site  on bottom of page no?

who is admin or mod on the facebook page ?  who makes the posts ?

https://www.facebook.com/nsanedowncom/

I don't have facebook at the bottom of the page i use  filters in my adblocker  that removes all that crap from all sites B)

knowledge-Spammer
8 hours ago, steven36 said:

I don't have facebook at the bottom of the page i use  filters in my adblocker  that removes all that crap from all sites B)

ok i mean lets say a users login from  this site to facebook  as they use both  if he click like and facebook can see both or all things   i not use facebook   but it seem  a users of mod or admin from this site use facebook and post  but not have time to comment with us its users   on both sites  who is the poster for facebook u no this info  the name of him  maybe ?

Just now, knowledge said:

ok i mean lets say a users login from  this site to facebook  as they use both  if he click like and facebook can see both or all things   i not use facebook   but it seem  a users of mod or admin from this site use facebook and post  but not have time to comment with us its users   on both sites  who is the poster for facebook u no this info  the name of him  maybe ?

almost every site i go too have this facebook ,  google +  and twitter crap logging you're data so i block it on all sites .. Some people at this site may use Facebook to sign in here . Some people don't care so i think privacy is ones own responsibility  . It's a dog eat dog world out there .

20 minutes ago, knowledge said:

but who from this site is the poster on facebook someone must no this info no ?

https://www.facebook.com/nsanedowncom/

Its fine with me if they remove  and its fine with me if they don't,  i think its one of  the admins who decides  to remove it . If you are not a member  at facebook they cant tie you to there data no ways and if you're using a vpn they don't know what you're real ip is to track you . All these  sites  have been tracking  our post for years, you just can't see  it no more they removed our ability to see it after one of the board upgrades here. (being able to see visitors and bots)  , they be bots on site recording everything you say and post, so removing that want really help much. Its not a closed  site  its a open board were  everything you say is being recorded . You cant get very much privacy in public  because you're speaking or posting in public and all these sites are  keeping records  of everything you say. Yahoo. Google , Microsoft Bing and Facebook  all have bots visiting here. Thats how people can find topics and stuff when search is broke and how new users find the site.     :tooth:

starsfighter

To help personalise content, tailor and measure ads and provide a safer experience, we use cookies. By clicking on or navigating the site, you agree to allow us to collect information on and off Facebook through cookies. Learn more, including about available controls: Cookies Policy.  

they think by putting that above homepage they have the right to collect all information about you ,,,

sell them your privacy to use their service for free !

Archived