Foldable screens for Iphone

Ajay1982

Smartphone giant is said to be working on a foldable iPhone. According to Bank of America Merrill Lynch, the Cupertino-based company is working with its Asian partners to develop a foldable iPhone.

In a research note to clients, Wamsi Mohan, wrote, “We expect the iPhones this fall to be largely unchanged for the OLED versions although size changes have proved to be a catalyst in the past. Our checks also suggest that Apple is working with suppliers on a foldable phone (that potentially could double up as a tablet) for launch in 2020."

Citing unnamed sources, reports Korean media in October 2017 had claimed that Apple and LG Electronics have something up their sleeves. The report quoted anonymous industry sources and stated that Apple wanted to order foldable OLED panels and is expected to begin production of foldable iPhones in 2020.

Apple is not the only technology company that is said to be working on foldable smartphones. Samsung and Lenovo too are reported to have experimenting with foldable screens. The duo have also showcased some concept devices.

Recently, a report in Bloomberg claimed that Apple is working on its own displays. This is the first time that the iPhone maker is reported to be getting into producing its own screens. The same report said that the company is working on these at a secret manufacturing facility near California. Apple is also said to have made major investment in the next-generation MicroLED screens.

The report further said that MicroLED screens come with different light-emitting compounds. It is because of this that the gadgets with these screens are slimmer, brighter and less power-hungry as compared to those which have OLED displays.

Bloomberg report further claimed said that Apple’s project is code named T159. It is being headed by Lynn Youngs, who oversees iPhone and Apple Watch technology.

• Replies 3
  • Views 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never just sat around and thought "oh I wish my phone folded". I mean what's the real point? Sure i get the appeal once you go to iPad size devices but these are small enough that you wouldn't want to double their thickness

On 3/26/2018 at 5:12 AM, banrek said:

I've never just sat around and thought "oh I wish my phone folded". I mean what's the real point? Sure i get the appeal once you go to iPad size devices but these are small enough that you wouldn't want to double their thickness

I think the innovation is on foldable screen and not just for phones since foldable aka flip phones were available many years ago. Unfortunately, all the media tend to cover foldable screen with focus on phones.

Archived