Mystery solved: KB 3150513 is another Windows 10 update-enabling patch

Israeli_Eagle

Israeli_Eagle

:excl:WARNING :excl:

Released by Microsoft without documentation, it's safe to hide this patch if you don't want Windows 10 or its related updates

There are reports this morning about a new patch, KB 3150513, appearing on Windows 8.1 systems -- and probably lurking on Windows 10 systems, too.

Microsoft has not posted a KB article, and there's no notification about the patch in the official Windows Update list. Sound familiar?

Fortunately, poster PeterBisco on the Microsoft Answers forum, has an explanation (originally posted on the Polish forum):

I have made a look into Windows8.1 version of this update and found this:

This update doesn't contain binary code. It just contains new data for AppRaiser (Windows 10 Compatibility tool). It contains files as:

•  hwcompat_th1.txt
  •  hwcompat_th2.txt
  •  hwexclude_rs1.txt
  •  hwexclude_th1.txt
  •  hwexclude_th2.txt
  •  wucompat.txt
  •  appraiser.sdb
  •  hwcompat_rs1.txt
  •  appraiser_data.ini
  •  appraiser_telemetryrunlist.xml

So if you want to upgrade to Windows 10, and you have all the Windows 10 related updates installed (e.g. KB3035583, KB2952664, etc.) then you are safe to install this patch. If you don't want Windows 10 or its related updates and you have hide them, you can hide this one as well, if you wish.

AppRaiser is the Windows 10 compatibility appraiser, which you can download and run manually. It's the program that's supposed to tell you if you're running any software or have any hardware that will mess with the Windows 10 upgrade.

Hiding this patch sounds like good advice to me.

Source: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3065380/microsoft-windows/mystery-solved-kb-3150513-is-another-windows-10-update-enabling-patch.html

• Replies 1
  • Views 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 updates are kind of simple  the security updates are now cumulative updates like windows 10 and theres a flash one  like on Windows 10  on Windows 8.1 anything else can be hidden and you should not install no way   . It's not Linux were  you get most of you're software updates via live updates ..:tooth:

It's bad enough installing security updates because there there called security and quality updates . You take one update you take them all now and no one knows what they put in there updates really  other than  what info they give you .who knows?  And they sometimes cause regression . Again it's not  Linux  were you can look at the update code it's closed source ..  So why would anyone that was concerned about updates be installing any others ? Its not like it use to be were it had a 100 updates and you need  to read every update. There is only like 2 updates you need if concerned about  security .

I never install updates on Patch Tuesday  anymore. I  wait awhile and then install them,  most exploits found on windows have  been around anywhere from 3 months to years by the time you get the updates what does it hurt waiting a while longer to see what kind of regressions they bring? Let alone install a non security update (I never do this).

What's in the security-only update? Just as the name implies, this update includes only security-related fixes, the kind that Microsoft has issued for 14 years on the second Tuesday of each month (aka "Patch Tuesday").

Just as important, though, is that the security-only update contains this month's fixes, and nothing more. (Again, that characteristic is what has defined Windows patches for years.)

What's in the monthly rollup? The Windows 7 and 8.1 monthly rollups include not only this month's security patches, but also all past security and non-security fixes, going back to at least October 2016, and possibly further. In other words, a monthly rollup is a superset of the month's security-only.

Side note: "Rollup" is a term Microsoft has used for ages to label catch-up updates, those that bring a program or operating system up to current status by bundling all past fixes. (Usually from a specific point in time, say, the last major release, which in the past were called "service packs" and abbreviated to "SP" as in "SP1" to designate the first such collection.)

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3243261/microsoft-windows/windows-7-update-guide-how-security-only-and-monthly-rollups-differ.html

Security update deployment information: March 13, 2018

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20180313/security-update-deployment-information-march-13-2018

So  if you clean installed windows  you need  to take a rollup and install all updates anyway,  or you would  not have them, unless you have collected every update over the years.  Even the site i get my iso  for windows 8.1 that slipstreams updates didn't release and iso  for it this month .  they have last months i guess i can download  it install it then dl this months  security only update  .  I been plaining on doing this just not got around to it yet.  Thats  what i don't like about these  bloggers they write stories like  updates are pushed out by Microsoft like we were still in 2015 ..They never take in account some people reinstall windows a few times a year  and updates are not  administered the same way anymore,  once you get up to date anything that's not security is out of bounds anyway and not needed . Before  they started doing rollups, you was lucky to get updates  to install at all  on windows 7,  it would take hours .:lol:

They  been issuing these  updates just encase you want to upgrade to windows 10 every since 2015,  they turn the switch off that installs windows 10 for free years back when they removed GWX update from live updates,

https://www.askvg.com/microsoft-removes-get-windows-10-app-from-windows-7-and-8-1-computers/

It's not like they going install windows 10 for free for you anymore .. You have to figure  that out yourself . Its still possible but they don't advertise it . They rather you pay 1 or 2 hundred  bucks and then upgrade. Why would they advertise it  when Windows 7 will run out of updates in a few years and they can sell the masses a key ? :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/7ykjoh/psa_you_can_still_upgrade_to_windows_10_for_free/

These bloggers that write these stories already drunk the koolaid  and took the Windows 10 plunge years ago, everything they know about Windows 7 and 8.1 someone else told them , and  before Windows 10 came out,  they bastardized Windows 8/ 8.1 like they do the OS they use now Windows 10 .  Its all to get hits for ad revenue from Windows 7 and 8.1 fanboys. :tease:

From my man  Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols (Computerworld (US))

I've yet to meet anyone who actually uses Metro apps. InfoWorld's Windows expert, Woody Leonhard, confesses that he "hates" Windows 8.1. His guide to supercharging Windows 8.1, he freely admits, is mostly about "Metro back-off." Talk about damning with faint praise!

:)

Archived