uth88

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about changing my laptop hard drive to SSD as this is the age of SSD now. Now, my concern is that, my laptop came pre-installed with Windows 10 Professional & I have an OS recovery DVD but it's older version. I'm stuck here with the activation process, as repository threads are removed now, which I'm not. And I don't wish to recover from the original DVD, because I've to update again my whole operating system, which will be a waste of both time & bandwidth. I have the latest ISO of Windows 10 & I'll be installing from it.

My question is, will the OEM product key automatically slipstream to the OS if I install the latest version & activate itself over internet or I have to insert a product key separately & activate it?

Please help.

• Replies 7
  • Views 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you change a new SSD, your  Windows activation will be lost!

:-

Solution:-

Save a copy of your current activation using MSActBackUp  by Ratiborus and restore it when you done reinstalling Same Windows Edition.

Tool can be found here:-

Ratiborus Download page

Site: https://www.solidfiles.com
Sharecode[?]: /folder/bd7165a0d4/

Regards.

I did not backup and now I need to install from zero again since lost previous key.

Each day is more difficult to activate.

Button line story. Backup!!!

1 hour ago, uth88 said:

My question is, will the OEM product key automatically slipstream to the OS if I install the latest version & activate itself over internet or I have to insert a product key separately & activate it?

If you had installed Windows 10 or if you made the upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 to 10 , you won't need any backup, the activation will be restored automatically.

OEM Chanel does not require backup starting with Windows 8.

I experienced this about two weeks ago when I had to send my laptop to a service unit : My notebook had installed Windows 10 Pro, but I like to deal with Enterprise or Enterprise LTSB.

I needed to reinstall Pro Edition becuase some service units might cancel your warranty if you do not have the original OS, at least thus it is in my country.

Straight away I got my Windows Pro activated after I have installed it.

Good luck !

;)

Another way would be for you to link your OS license to your Microsoft account instead!

If you ask how? :innocent:

see this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

So you have two choices Now:- 

- Don't backup your activation and find out your self if your activation remain the same. 

-Backup your activation or link your license and find out your self if your activation remain the same. (win/win) :sneaky:

Regards.

18 hours ago, Recruit said:

If you had installed Windows 10 or if you made the upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 to 10 , you won't need any backup, the activation will be restored automatically.

;)

The laptop came pre-installed with Windows 10 Professional. There is a Windows 10 Pro sticker attached backside of the laptop. So, it's not an upgrade from any previous edition.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your replies. I'll update on this once I install fresh Windows on my new SSD, which I'm yet to purchase. Till then. cheers.

5 hours ago, uth88 said:

I'll update on this once I install fresh Windows on my new SSD, which I'm yet to purchase. Till then. cheers.

Well, I am not too experienced in hardware changes related to the activation.

What I made until now :

• In the past, I have added more RAM to a computer which had installed Windows 7 Enterprise : I have not lost the activation
  • Also I have replaced a HDD with a SSD to a notebook on that I have had activations for Windows 7/8.1 ( Enterprise ) . I have lost none of them.

So, based on my little experience, changing only the ssd should not cause serious troubles related the activation.

Good luck !

;)

Archived