Microsoft forces Win10 1709 upgrades on PCs set to restrict telemetry

Karlston

2 hours ago, gingerbread80 said:

I dont have any issues that I know of, but I am always playing catchup with the updates. It is my kids' laptop. My laptop is still on Windows 7.

In that case, use it a bit and see if there's anything broken. If not, consider staying on 1709.

Some of the potential problems here... https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-fall-creators-update-user-problems-and-complaints

• Replies 36
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Microsoft have 'fessed up, read the yellow-backgrounded section here...

Some versions of Windows 10 display a notification to install the latest version

Their roll-back instruction there too. You have only 10 days to do the rollback.

31 minutes ago, gingerbread80 said:

So much for testing these before release.

The Windows Insiders testing is supposed to replace the sacked in-house testing team.

Nice in theory, but in practice has been a dismal failure because the Insiders don't seem to do real-life stuff with their installs.

The result is that users, especially the Windows 10 Home ones, are the cannon-fodder beta-testers for Microsoft's latest and greatest updates that must be installed within milliseconds of release or the universe will implode.

Back to 1703 or living with 1709?

gingerbread80
1 minute ago, Karlston said:

The Windows Insiders testing is supposed to replace the sacked in-house testing team.

Nice in theory, but in practice has been a dismal failure because the Insiders don't seem to do real-life stuff with their installs.

The result is that users, especially the Windows 10 Home ones, are the cannon-fodder beta-testers for Microsoft's latest and greatest updates that must be installed within milliseconds of release or the universe will implode.

Back to 1703 or living with 1709?

Living with 1709. Going to test it out. Will give it a couple of days.

46 minutes ago, Karlston said:

The Windows Insiders testing ( ... )

Since Microsoft decided that it would kill everything it created, starting with Windows 9, some frankensteins were born:

1. Windows Insider Program
  2. Windows 10
  3. Cumulative Updates for Windows 7 and 8
  4. Windows Creators Update

What do all these monsters have in common?! They are crap!!!
Never before in Windows history have you seen catastrophic Tuesdays as we have seen in the last hundred consecutive weeks...But the alienating marketing created around it all has had the effect expected by Microsoft and its shareholders...

So it turns out that the term "insiders" is a cute way of saying "we enter your skull because there was room to be busy ".

knowledge-Spammer

what is best way to block all windows updates so it cant update to newer versions

i have tryed to firewalls and it seem still the Windows 10 Update Assistant get passed and try and update it kill my data ?

we need like ip or host block on this or no

4 minutes ago, knowledge said:

what is best way to block all windows updates so it cant update to newer versions

Disabling the Windows Update service works well, except for this piece of Microsoft skullduggery. Just remember to put it back to Manual when (and if) you want updates.

There's some discussion in this AskWoody thread on how to stop the forced updates to 1709... So how DO you block the upgrade to Win10 1709

In that thread, Woody has posted a link to an article and script to change (and restore) some registry settings... [Fix] How to Stop Automatic Forced Upgrade to Feature Updates in Windows 10

knowledge-Spammer

think i have did now :) but this i am going to look at more as it seem to bypass firewalls without problems i no like when do

knowledge-Spammer

it seems reg fix no work for me i have to block

0.0.0.0 23.214.145.204 e11290.dspg.akamaiedge.net
0.0.0.0 204.79.197.200 a-0001.a-msedge.net

and removed

http://image.ibb.co/fNKuiS/CpWz_051.png

this was bs as it take 4gb of my data  trying to update  no good Microsoft

but now i have fixed so it cant update again

Microsoft's forced update scheme is most annoying but may I say, I bought a new laptop in January with Windows 10. Previously I'd installed Windows 10 free update from Windows 7 SP1, guess it was the "anniversary update", but it was not a good idea; it was a computer originally built for Vista. I reinstalled Windows 7 after about 3 - 4 days. 

I don't know what build it had on this new laptop but the first thing it did when I turned the laptop on was to start an update. Finally, when finished, I found Build 1709. Since then it has been working apparently100% faultless and up to the moment I feel is the best Windows system I've used. Certainly, I wouldn't like an unwanted Microsoft "update" to it, without being certain this future update might work flawlessly

I just would like to know if the registry script by Woody works for 1709, to block an unwanted future update.

A follow up from Woody...

Microsoft again forced upgrades on Win10 machines specifically set to block updates

For the third time in the past four months, Microsoft 'accidentally' upgraded Win10 1703 machines to version 1709 in spite of explicit, correctly applied, deferral settings. Gawrsh.

Microsoft forced upgrades on Windows 10 machines set to block updates
Microsoft

When Microsoft released Win10 Pro Creators Update, version 1703, it included the ability to control updates. Some would argue (and I still do) that the ability to readily block updates is the most important feature of 1703 — and the single reason why individual Window 10 customers should spring for Win10 Pro, instead of Win10 Home.

Now, for the third time since its release in April 2017, Microsoft has simply ignored those blocks and moved machines on to the Fall Creators Update, version 1709, without warning or explanation.

Confirmation of the latest fiasco arrived last Friday evening, as part of a note appended to the end of a Knowledge Base article, KB 4023814. There is no patch associated with KB 4023814. It’s an “explainer” KB article titled, Some versions of Windows 10 display a notification to install the latest version. It says:

If you're currently running Windows 10 Version 1507, Version 1511, Version 1607 or Version 1703, you can expect to receive a notification that states that your device has to have the latest security updates installed. Windows Update will then try to update your device…

Windows 10 version 1607 and version 1703 are not yet at "end of service." However, they must be updated to the latest versions of Windows 10 to ensure protection from the latest security threats.

That article was modified during the Friday night news dump period to add:

Important

Microsoft is aware that this notification was incorrectly delivered to some Windows 10 Version 1703 devices that had a user-defined feature update deferral period configured. Microsoft mitigated this issue on March 8, 2018.

That fits in with the KB update history logs, which show the patch KB 4023057, Update to Windows 10 Versions 1507, 1511, 1607, and 1703 for update reliability was released on March 8.

Microsoft's getting better at the bad news game. Bad bug hits on Tuesday. Fixed on Thursday. But the notice didn't go out until Friday evening. Makes you wonder if the patching group now has its own PR department.

To understand why Windows 10 customers are so upset, it helps to look at the Windows Update advanced options in Win10 Creators Update, version 1703 (screenshot below).

windows update 1703 advanced optionsWoody Leonhard

Folks who want to take control of version changes in Windows 10 set those advanced options to (1) force Microsoft to wait until a new version is declared “Current Branch for Business,” then (2) after the version has hit CBB, to wait an additional 365 days before upgrading to the new version, (3) hold off on cumulative updates until 30 days after they’re sent out the Windows Update chute, and (4) overriding all of that, hold off on all updates — cumulative updates and version changes — for 35 days.

Except, golly, Microsoft hasn’t followed any of those settings.

3 accidental Windows updates in 4 months

In mid-November 2017, without warning, Windows Update started upgrading 1703 machines set to wait for CBB. That came as something of a shock to those who figured Microsoft should have warned them in advance. Microsoft finally fessed up to the mistake, modifying KB 4048954 — for the November 14 cumulative update — to say, “Windows Pro devices on the Current Branch for Business (CBB) will upgrade unexpectedly.” Microsoft didn’t bother to fix the problem until the December 12 cumulative update. Gawrsh.

In mid-January 2018, Microsoft pushed many Win10 1703 customers onto 1709, even though they had “feature update” deferrals set to 365 days. Microsoft decided that it would no longer use the “Current Branch for Business” nomenclature, replacing it with the nearly-identical “Semi-Annual Channel” terminology (Gregg Keizer has details).

Somehow, in the course of charging ahead to CBB, er, SAC, Windows Update forgot to pay heed to the feature update deferral setting. Gawrsh two.

This month, Microsoft started rolling out an entirely new feature, called “Update Assistant,” that bypasses the Windows Update routines. One little problem: This month, Update Assistant forgot to look at the feature update deferral setting and starting rolling 1709 out to machines set to block 1709 — even machines that have Windows Update disabled. Gawrsh three.

As the saying goes, “I’m altering the deal. Pray I don’t alter it any further.”

Microsoft’s penance for the three transgressions? A little bit of oft-repeated advice:

Users who were affected by this issue and who upgraded to Windows 10 Version 1709 can revert to an earlier version within 10 days of the upgrade. To do this, open Settings > Update & Security > Recovery, and then select Get started under Go back to the previous version of windows 10.

That is, if the rollback works properly.

When you read about Win10 Fall Creators Update’s rapid acceptance rate — how it’s been installed on more machines, faster, than any prior version of Win10 — keep the Gawrsh factor in mind. Three “accidental” upgrades in the past four month. Sure looks good on the version adoption graphs, eh?

Fed up with MS impunity? Join us on the AskWoody Lounge.

Source: Microsoft again forced upgrades on Win10 machines specifically set to block updates (Computerworld - Woody Leonhard)

Archived