Looking for Useful Userscripts

Knightmare

I'm trying to find more userscripts to install for ViolentMonkey. I'm running Firefox and I used to use Greasemonkey, but with the upgrade to Firefox 57+, Greasemonkey has not been the same. I'm using FB Purity, Antiadware, Show Password, and Skip Redirect right now. I feel weird only using 4 scripts because I feel like I'm not using the program to its full potential. I used to use Youtube+, but it doesn't work as well with the upgrade that Youtube did, so I switched to Youtube Center but those features didn't seem to work well either. I'm looking for scripts to enhance my protection online, like with the Antiadware. I already use uBlock Origin but I didn't know if that makes the Antiadware worthless. Maybe there is a good script that I could use to block ads instead of uBlock Origin.

• Replies 33
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

I'm using FB Purity, Antiadware, Show Password, and Skip Redirect right now. I feel weird only using 4 scripts because I feel like I'm not using the program to its full potential.

I feel weird only using 4 scripts because I feel like I'm not using the program to its full potential.

:eek: I find that incredibly overkill. :eek:

I'm looking for scripts to enhance my protection online, like with the Antiadware. I already use uBlock Origin but I didn't know if that makes the Antiadware worthless.

Yes, uBlock Origin certainly makes AntiAdware worthless for folks who know their way around the requisite rules — for those who don't . . . . . no.

Maybe there is a good script that I could use to block ads instead of uBlock Origin.

Those who couldn't get along with an easy-peasy ad. blocker like uBlock Origin won't find find purchase.

In my personal experience the wise direction to take would be to start with the easiest ad. blocker and then progress forward:—

Adblock Plus (easiest) >>----> uBlock Origin (easy-peasy)>>----> uMatrix >>----> uBlock Origin + uMatrix (combo) >>----> AdGuard (most difficult.)

i'm using Firefox + Tempermonkey with adsbypasser and anti ad-block killer reek and using adguard for add ons

adsBypasser

Google Hit Hider by Domain

AAK-Cont or NanoDefender.(If you're using Firefox, you can install it through Chrome Store Foxified)

Iridium (at least until maia is in some kind of usable state) (LPT: DO make use of the blocklist!) edit: yes, it has an optional cryptominer, but it is disabled by default, and the addon version simply doesn't have it.

Wikipedia2Wikiwand

8 minutes ago, sebangzat said:

ad-block killer reek

that one is long dead. see my previous post  above for alternatives

18 minutes ago, VileTouch said:

adsBypasser

AAK-Cont or NanoDefender.(If you're using Firefox, you can install it through Chrome Store Foxified)

Iridium (at least until maia is in some kind of usable state) (LPT: DO make use of the blocklist!) edit: yes, it has an optional cryptominer, but it is disabled by default, and the addon version simply doesn't have it.

Wikipedia2Wikiwand

Lol yeah i know, but still work because if i turn off reek the pop up Anti adblocker will show. and another reason because i dont know the other alternatives for reek script :wub::D 

maybe i will try AAK-Cont

btw reek github issues still active

sorry for my bad english bro :D

10 hours ago, VileTouch said:

adsBypasser

Wikipedia2Wikiwand

Nano Adblocker seems to be just like uBlock Origin, but with more subscription lists by default. As for Nano Defender, it's a little confusing as to why the developer can't just make it for Firefox.

24 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

Nano Adblocker seems to be just like uBlock Origin, but with more subscription lists by default. As for Nano Defender, it's a little confusing as to why the developer can't just make it for Firefox.

according to Jspenguin, the dev, Nano Adblocker is just UBO with syntax highlighting for the filters because Gorhill didn't want to implement that. :s. Nano Defender works with UBO no problem. as to why, here's the reasons. Jspenguin has stated that a webex version is in the works, but is the only maintainer.

I ended up switching back to uBlock Origin because Nano was a little too much, plus I'm skeptical of copycat programs. I just beefed up protection on uBlock and I use Hostman to download MVPS as a hosts file for Windows.

I don't think it's overkill because I think adding the lists in uBlock just creates a private list for uBlock and tells it what to block while using Firefox, while the hosts file blocks sites from all programs from accessing my computer, for example, when I use IE or Chrome to search something simple that is broken on FF.

5 hours ago, Knightmare said:

I just beefed up protection on uBlock and I use Hostman to download MVPS as a hosts file for Windows.

I don't think it's overkill because I think adding the lists in uBlock just creates a private list for uBlock and tells it what to block while using Firefox, while the hosts file blocks sites from all programs from accessing my computer, for example, when I use IE or Chrome to search something simple that is broken on FF.

The latest hosts file loads over 14,614 entries which is growing at a rapid pace because it's built on the flawed principles of blacklisting — that's certainly overkill (ask yourself how many of those sites you ever browse.) ;)

18 hours ago, Knightmare said:

I ended up switching back to uBlock Origin

yes, i too use UBO+Nano defender. so far, seems faster than AAK-cont

hosts are great for blocking or redirecting specific things, not so much for general purpose ad blocking as it can get VERY slow VERY fast.

Pie Hole is a much better solution if you're going that route anyway.

14 hours ago, dcs18 said:

The latest hosts file loads over 14,614 entries which is growing at a rapid pace because it's built on the flawed principles of blacklisting — that's certainly overkill (ask yourself how many of those sites you ever browse.) ;)

My file only loads 12,800. I have mine set to create a new hosts file each time, rather than merge the entries. It did have 13,500 but the update last month only loaded 12,800. I just assumed they got rid of a lot of entries that were dead.

Am I on the right tracking in saying that when I add a list or subscription in uBlock, it's looking for specific sites to block? I really don't know how to say it. My mindset is that it's good to have MVPS in uBlock and as a hosts file because uBlock just goes through the list so that it knows what to block and in theory, the site and it's contents won't go any further than the browser. When I use a different browser--like IE--then all of the data from the sites goes through the browser but is blocked by the hosts file.

The problem with Subscription Lists is that (regardless of the browser used) uBlock Origin (or, for that matter — any ad.blocker) loads all the entries (sites) on lists that have been enabled — regardless of whether one browses those sites or not.

Consequently, EasyList (as an example that's enabled by default) would itself load over 60,000 entries and most folks are known to enable much more than 1 Subscription List — some people even enable more than 5 Subscription Lists (those who use a sophisticated ad. blocker like AdGuard would know that it starts grumbling about a potential slowdown when excessive Subscription Lists are enabled.)

On the one hand, folks who are well-conversant with crafting custom rules would never enable even a single Subscription List — they would prefer instead to create custom filters and rules just for the select few sites that they visit on a regular basis (while maintaining a strict filtering policy over other sites.) On the other hand, folks who are not well-conversant would be left with no other alternative/s than to be dependent on Subscription Lists.

On 3/2/2018 at 1:09 AM, dcs18 said:

The problem with Subscription Lists is that (regardless of the browser used) uBlock Origin (or, for that matter — any ad.blocker) loads all the entries (sites) on lists that have been enabled — regardless of whether one browses those sites or not.

Consequently, EasyList (as an example that's enabled by default) would itself load over 60,000 entries and most folks are known to enable much more than 1 Subscription List — some people even enable more than 5 Subscription Lists (those who use a sophisticated ad. blocker like AdGuard would know that it starts grumbling about a potential slowdown when excessive Subscription Lists are enabled.)

On the one hand, folks who are well-conversant with crafting custom rules would never enable even a single Subscription List — they would prefer instead to create custom filters and rules just for the select few sites that they visit on a regular basis (while maintaining a strict filtering policy over other sites.) On the other hand, folks who are not well-conversant would be left with no other alternative/s than to be dependent on Subscription Lists.

Got it. So if I were to disable/uncheck all of the lists in uBlock and just block 3rd party scripts and frames globally, would that be ideal? I honestly just need uBlock to block the frames, since the hosts file entries don't do that. Should I just switch to uMatrix or NoScript? I know that they're annoying to configure, but if I'm just doing it for the frames, I guess that might be the way to go. Or just tolerate the frames and have faith in the hosts file.

If you're interested in blocking by hosts entries, you might instead want to (add) combine uMatrix with your existing uBlock and then switch to a couple of the (domain blocking) Subscription Lists on uMatrix — the most effective and quickest ad. blocking (second only to AdGuard.)

If you decide to give it a shot, just backup your existing Mozilla profile (after ensuring that Firefox is not running) — this will let you experiment and return to your original setup (in case uMatrix failed to impress.)

The above combination would also displace some of your add-ons — I like where you're going with this. F3h9xqz.gif

4 hours ago, dcs18 said:

If you're interested in blocking by hosts entries, you might instead want to (add) combine uMatrix with your existing uBlock and then switch to a couple of the (domain blocking) Subscription Lists on uMatrix — the most effective and quickest ad. blocking (second only to AdGuard.)

If you decide to give it a shot, just backup your existing Mozilla profile (after ensuring that Firefox is not running) — this will let you experiment and return to your original setup (in case uMatrix failed to impress.)

The above combination would also displace some of your add-ons — I like where you're going with this. F3h9xqz.gif

I'm playing around with uMatrix at work. It seems to have a lot to configure! I'm interested in a universal solution that will apply to all of my browsers and programs. uBlock and uMatrix would only work in the browser they are install on. Now if uBlock and uMatrix were to be made into programs, I'd be on board that ship.

Oh yes, have taken that exact route myself as also shared on the last 2 lines of my first response of this discussion — AdGuard is that ship that accommodates all browsers, on board.

Since AdGuard is the wicked but difficult cousin of uMatrix, you might want to play with uMatrix for just a little bit more — would facilitate a smooth sailing when you switch-over to AdGuard.

53 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Oh yes, have taken that exact route myself as also shared on the last 2 lines of my first response of this discussion — AdGuard is that ship that accommodates all browsers, on board.

Since AdGuard is the wicked but difficult cousin of uMatrix, you might want to play with uMatrix for just a little bit more — would facilitate a smooth sailing when you switch-over to AdGuard.

I'm going to say that Ad Muncher is no good then?

Ad Muncher is no longer in active development (also was a PITA to reverse engineer) — IMO, AdGuard is Ad Muncher on steroids

I did like adguard for the pc. The Android version didn't do so well on my phone.

In 2017, the Android version didn't want to work with the Wi-Fi on my Android, either (LineageOS 14.1) — in 2018, it started working inexplicably (not sure why.)

Is Adguard for pc free? I know that it goes for a 14 day trial but I didn't know if you could continue using it after that with limited features?

I ended up going with the EasyList only and blocking 3rd party frames and 3rd party scripts globally. I use Hostsman to get the MVPS hosts and the Malware Domains hosts. Browsing is fast, but I still feel vulnerable. I think I'm going to break my browsing experience if I use uMatrix, but I don't think I do anything too dangerous to be as concerned as I am. I know that the hosts entries do a good job on their own. I might see if I can add some IP addresses to cFosSpeed to make it so that I won't need uBlock.

Archived