Dishonest Behaviour leads to Lower Rankings of Job Performance

samuelthegreat

samuelthegreat

A new study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology has found that people who engage in dishonest behaviour are often seen as less capable at doing their jobs.

“Although arguments can be made that an individual’s moral behaviour is, or should be, irrelevant to their overall competence, we found consistent support that immoral behaviour reduced judgements of people’s competence,” said lead author Jennifer Stellar, PhD, of the University of Toronto.

Together with colleague Robb Willer, PhD, of Stanford University, Stellar had conducted a total of six experiments involving more than 1,500 participants.

In the experiments, volunteers were presented with depictions of individuals engaging in a variety of activities — some moral (e.g., donating money to charity), some immoral (e.g., shoplifting) — and then asked to rate their overall competence or competence at a specific task.

dishonesty.jpg

People who act in a dishonest manner are perceived as less socially intelligent and less capable at their jobs. Image credit: tswedensky via pixabay.com, CC0 Public Domain.

Consistently, the participants rated individuals who had committed moral transgressions as less capable in every way.

This was surprising because previous research by the group had shown that people were not generally willing to conflate moral character and skill.

“We found that most people rated immoral behaviour in one’s private life as irrelevant to determining how good that person was at their job. Essentially, people said they didn’t think they would use moral information in that way, but when they were provided with it, they did,” said Stellar.

A possible explanation of the results has to do with social intelligence, i.e., one’s ability to navigate complex social situations, which involves adaptability, perspective-taking, perception-management, etc.

In one of the studies, Stellar and Willer managed to counteract the concerns about social intelligence by telling participants that immoral individuals in the study were rated high in social intelligence by their colleagues.

Surely enough, armed with this information, participants no longer saw dishonest behaviour as indicative of lower professional capacity, but rather perceived the morally transgressive, yet socially capable individuals as Machiavellian, cunning, and strategic – not simply incompetent.

SOURCE

• Replies 4
  • Views 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, samuelthegreat said:

A new study published

Damn it... I wonder who pays these "studious" people...

But more important is why would @samuelthegreat think nsane members deserve this kind of reading? :huh:

samuelthegreat

I'm sorry I did not realise that you spoke for the hole of the nsane community ?

10 minutes ago, jbleck said:

Damn it... I wonder who pays these "studious" people...

But more important is why would @samuelthegreat think nsane members deserve this kind of reading? :huh:

And further more if you do not like the content I post please use the ignore user button ?

6 minutes ago, samuelthegreat said:

I'm sorry I did not realise that you spoke for the hole of the nsane community ?

And further more if you do not like the content I post please use the ignore user button ?

Seems u know the path... U do that to whom u see fit.

I for one like to push some buttons instead of ignoring once in a while...

samuelthegreat

I live by the saying live and let live mate so you do what you need to do and I'll do what I need to do and maybe one day are paths will cross again ?

35 minutes ago, jbleck said:

Seems u know the path... U do that to whom u see fit.

I for one like to push some buttons instead of ignoring once in a while...

Archived