How Chrome’s built-in ad blocker will work when it goes live tomorrow

Recruit

chrome-03.jpg

Chrome’s built-in ad blocker will go live tomorrow. It’s the first time Google will automatically block some ads in Chrome, but while quite a few online publishers are fretting about this move, as a regular user, you may not even notice it.

The most important thing to know is that this is not an alternative to AdBlock Plus or uBlock Origin. Instead, it’s Google’s effort to ban the most annoying ads from your browser. So it won’t block all ads — just those that don’t conform to the Coalition for Better Ads guidelines. When Google decides that a site hosts ads that go against these guidelines, it’ll block all ads on a given site — not just those annoying prestitials with a countdown or autoplaying video ads with sound.

Here are the kinds of ads that will trigger the new ad blocker in Chrome:

talk_to_chrome_about_chrome_filtering__-

If you end up on a site where Chrome is blocking ads, you’ll see a small pop-up in Chrome (yeah — Chrome will pop up a notification to alert you when it blocked a pop-up…) that gives you the option to sidestep the ad blocker and allow ads on that site.

Under the hood, Google is using the same patterns as the public and community-curated EasyList filter rules. It’s worth noting that while Google made some modifications to those rules, it doesn’t exempt its own ad networks  from this exercise. If a site is in violation, ads from AdSense and DoubleClick will also be blocked.

ad_block_chrome.jpg?w=977&h=652

Chances are that you’ll see a bit of a performance boost on sites where ads are being blocked. That’s not the focus here, though, and Google says it’s at best a secondary effect. Some early ad blockers also had some issues with excessive memory usage that sometimes slowed down the browser. Google admits that there is some memory overhead here to hold the blocking list in memory, but even on mobile, that’s a negligible amount.

It’s worth noting that the recommendations of the Coalition for Better Ads focus on North America and Western Europe. Because of this, those are also the regions where the ad filtering will go live first. Google, however, is not classifying sites by where the individual Chrome user is coming from. Instead, it’s looking at where the majority of a site’s visitors come from. So if a user from India visits a site in Germany where ads are being blocked, that user won’t see ads even if the filtering isn’t live for Indian sites.

copy-of-3_video-desktop.gif?w=500&h=500

As Google’s product manager for the Chrome Web Platform Ryan Schoen told me, 42 percent of publishers that were in violation have already moved to other ads. Of course, that means the majority of sites that Google warned about this issue did not take any action yet, but Schoen expects that many will do so once they see the impact of this. While ad blockers are often among the most popular extensions, they don’t come pre-installed, after all. This one does, and Google’s approach of blocking all ads on a site will surely sting.

Indeed, this decision to block all ads may seem rather harsh. Schoen, however, argues that it’s the only practical solution. In Google’s view, publishers have to take responsibility for the ads they show and take control of their ad inventory. “The publisher can decide which ad networks to do business with but ultimately for us, the users, by navigating to a specific site, they enter a relationship with that site,” he said. “We do think it’s the responsibility of the site owner to take ownership of that relationship.”

Still, so far, it looks like Chrome will only block just less than one percent of all ads — something that will make some publishers breathe a sigh of relief and scare others. For users, though, this can only be a good thing in the long run.

Source

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

asT6hOD.jpg

Google's planned ad filtering feature in the Chrome browser will be going live tomorrow, and the company has laid out a guide explaining how the feature works for the sake of transparency.

To begin with, Google's ad blocker feature isn't an "ad-block" per se as it is commonly characterized, but can be more accurately described as ad filtering. Once the feature is enabled, Chrome will automatically filter out advertisements that do not adhere to the Better Ads Standards which were previously established by the Coalition for Better Ads, which Google joined last year.

Chrome will evaluate websites that run ads against the Better Ads Standards and grade them as 'Passing', 'Warning' or 'Failing'. Should a site receive a failing grade, Chrome will filter out adverts on that site, preventing pages from displaying them on that site.

vFHRcnY.jpg

Chrome will give its users a notification in the browser, alerting them whenever it blocks advertisements on a website, and giving the opportunity to automatically enable all ads on that site should they choose to do so.

For a firm that relies heavily on advertising revenue, it might seem counter-intuitive to want to block ads; Google says that the purpose of the ad filter isn't to filter all ads or even to filter any ads at all despite what the name implies.

The firm hopes to "improve the experience for all web users", and force sites into compliance with the Better Ads Standards, claiming that 42% of all sites which were previously falling below the Better Ads Standards have now improved the quality of their adverts, and are now passing. With the Better Ads Standards initiative and Chrome's new auto ad filtering as the stick, Google isn't blocking all web ads, just enough bad ads so that users don't have to.

Source

The best adblocker would be one that's undetectable by sites, otherwise they insist that you disable it before you can access their content.

Lol   when that addblocker  kicks in will be the very sites that offer you somekind of free service  were you need  to  bypass  ads and they don't give a shit  because there giving you something for free  and block you from viewing there page. Glad i don't have to don't have fool with free  leechers and things very often any  more  and fight with ads . I pays for mine  and it don't has no ads .

Like  dl.go4up.com  were its a game of cat and mouse

https://github.com/jspenguin2017/uBlockProtector/issues/857

While there trying  to fight with  making rules  for adblock  i just stick the link in J Downloader  2 and download  premium  ;)

Same with streaming  i just fire kodi  up  and watch videos premium filehost  and  torrents  and i don't never  have ads  . I use browsers as less as possible. 

57 minutes ago, Katzenfreund said:

The best adblocker would be one that's undetectable by sites, <snip>

The bad news — every ad. blocker is detectable regardless of pedigree.

57 minutes ago, Katzenfreund said:

<snip>, otherwise they insist that you disable it before you can access their content.

The good news — every content can be accessed without disabling the ad. blocker, provided one knows how to create the mitigating rule/s.

• Administrator

@Recruit: Topic moved to Software News, I think this is more software related than security or privacy related.

@KRS: Topics merged.

While all this is good. Lets hope Google is not trying to create a monopoly by banning anything that is not Google Ads.

Funny though, for the few times I have ads allowed on my mobile, I have noticed animated ads by Google on it. So will they block their own with it.

1 hour ago, DKT27 said:

While all this is good. Lets hope Google is not trying to create a monopoly by banning anything that is not Google Ads.

Do not waste your faith on this ...
It would be the same as "buying" the cure of smoking addiction of the company that sells cigarettes!!!

1 hour ago, DKT27 said:

So will they block their own with it.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Skimjet have been doing this with adbloker and it is Chromium base.

Q: How is Slimjet related to Google Chrome?

Both Slimjet and Chrome are based on the same Chromium open-source project. Therefore, Slimjet and Chrome will have quite similar user interface. Compared with Chrome, Slimjet adds a lot more features and options on top of Chromium, to be more powerful and flexible.

Source: slimjet vs chrome

12 hours ago, WALLONN7 said:

Do not waste your faith on this ...
It would be the same as "buying" the cure of smoking addiction of the company that sells cigarettes!!!

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Give them a break.:)

5 minutes ago, vitorio said:

Give them a break.:)

And in what part of that break would I have fun?!... In none!!! :P

In that case, I prefer to stay where I am!!! B)

On 14/02/2018 at 4:50 PM, Undertaker said:

It all started with Firefox providing tracking protection.

exactly, that is how they begin

What makes me confused is why people are bothered to install ublock? 

Archived