Installing Win 10 From DVD

uffbros

I haven't used DVD's to install Windows for over 5 years. I am a big fan of USB installs. My son will be installing Win 10 from a DVD I just made for him on a brand new MB/Processor that will be UEFI Bios. I tried the DVD I made in my UEFI Bios rig to see if it worked. When I go to boot to the DVD I get no options for the burner. After researching the subject it said you have to turn off secure boot in order for the bios to see the DVD. So my question is: If I am now installing in Legacy mode won't it do an MBR install instead of a UEFI/GPT install like my flash drive does? Isn't it better to do a UEFI/GPT install? If so how do I get the drive GPT if I'm doing a DVD install? Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before install new OS. Change your bios UEFI > Auto or Legacy then you can boot with USB DRIVE.
you can convert HardDisk UEFI > GPT as needed convenient without losing data.

after install new OS done. you can back to change them all.

2 hours ago, uffbros said:

So my question is: If I am now installing in Legacy mode won't it do an MBR install instead of a UEFI/GPT install like my flash drive does? Isn't it better to do a UEFI/GPT install? If so how do I get the drive GPT if I'm doing a DVD install? Thanks.

Secure boot is one thing; UEFI/GPT is another. 
Just keep secure boot off 'till Windows is completely installed; then, turn it on if you want to...
Useful information here

Regards

1 hour ago, MISSYOU said:

Before install new OS. Change your bios UEFI > Auto or Legacy then you can boot with USB DRIVE.
you can convert HardDisk UEFI > GPT as needed convenient without losing data.

after install new OS done. you can back to change them all.

I don't want to boot with USB drive..DVD drive...Thus my posting

1 hour ago, WALLONN7 said:

Secure boot is one thing; UEFI/GPT is another. 
Just keep secure boot off 'till Windows is completely installed; then, turn it on if you want to...
Useful information here

Regards

But what will the installed Windows be after installing from Legacy? MBR? I want GPT..You see what I mean? After I shut off secure boot I get the following 2 choices in boot menu...Legacy lists my DVD Drive.....UEFI only lists Windows Boot Manager...No DVD Drive. That article was of no help to my situation???

1 hour ago, uffbros said:

I don't want to boot with USB drive..DVD drive...Thus my posting

But what will the installed Windows be after installing from Legacy? MBR? I want GPT..You see what I mean? After I shut off secure boot I get the following 2 choices in boot menu...Legacy lists my DVD Drive.....UEFI only lists Windows Boot Manager...No DVD Drive. That article was of no help to my situation???

As @WALLONN7 said, don't switch to legacy. Keep UEFI boot, just turn off secure boot before installing. Then turn it back on after installation done.

What OS do you plan to install? If it's Win 7 it has to be 64-bit version if you want to boot via UEFI.

Scratch that, I didn't aware that you already mentioned win 10.

5 hours ago, uffbros said:

When I go to boot to the DVD I get no options for the burner. After researching the subject it said you have to turn off secure boot in order for the bios to see the DVD.

You only need to disable secure boot if windows 10 is already installed on the system and you want to boot the DVD. On a system with no OS installed then it will boot from the DVD even with secure boot enabled.

5 hours ago, uffbros said:

So my question is: If I am now installing in Legacy mode won't it do an MBR install instead of a UEFI/GPT install like my flash drive does? Isn't it better to do a UEFI/GPT install? If so how do I get the drive GPT if I'm doing a DVD install? Thanks.

Yes, Legacy mode = MBR. Yes UEFI/GPT is better. What is the source of the install ISO you used to burn the DVD? If you use a Frankenstein ISO from some non official sources anything could happen. If you burn the official ISO from the Microsoft media creation tool it will boot into any mode without an issue.

3 hours ago, uffbros said:

UEFI only lists Windows Boot Manager...

The mention of this in the BIOS tells us that there is already an OS installed on the hard drive... Make a backup of personal files, if any, and delete existing content and partitioning on the HDD...

3 hours ago, uffbros said:

That article was of no help to my situation???

Did you read the content of the link I posted?! I do not think so...

Because in the second half of Andre da Costa's answer there, he explains in detail what you need to know and what you should do in this or that situation...

Let anxiety aside and take some time to read and reread what he described there... Learning is like this: it takes time!!!

Regards

Yes I was testing the DVD on my computer for use in my son's brand new home built computer. It will have blank hard drive obviously. So when testing on my computer that is UEFI Bios,as his will be as well, after disabling secure boot it shows legacy and my DVD drive that has Win 10 in it but under UEFI mode there is no choice of my DVD Drive. So if I boot under the legacy I assume i'm gonna have MBR setup and I want GPT. I read that web page 20X..I don't see that covering my situation. I don't want MBR. The DVD was created with a copy from Microsoft servers and is bootable. It boots on my computer in Legacy mode. I then exit.I don't use DVD media..I use flash drives for my installs. Thats why this GPT thing I want is different using DVD VS Flash. For whatever reason he wants the DVD way. Too cheap to buy a $8 flash drive I guess.

7 minutes ago, uffbros said:

So when testing on my computer that is UEFI Bios,as his will be as well, after disabling secure boot it shows legacy and my DVD drive that has Win 10 in it but under UEFI mode there is no choice of my DVD Drive.

The reason your DVD drive is not showing up under UEFI is because it's not UEFI compatible... Just that!!! 

Once you're not confident:

Just use DISKPART instructions - link I posted - and everything will be fine... 

Regards

I'll just have to try it out when he gets computer together...I don't see how my DVD Drive is not compatible. I bought this $1000 HP decent system just a month ago...surely it is the latest drive??? SURELY...Thanks for your help.

27 minutes ago, uffbros said:

I'll just have to try it out when he gets computer together...I don't see how my DVD Drive is not compatible. I bought this $1000 HP decent system just a month ago...surely it is the latest drive??? SURELY...Thanks for your help.

That's why I do not recommend anyone to buy pre-fabricated... Fatally, one or another hardware item will be "hampered" in favor of price...

Archived