What do you think about Electric Cars?

Katzenfreund

Will your next car be electric?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Will your next car be electric?

• My next car will be electric
    • I’m not convinced by them, I’ll buy conventional
    • I am undecided. More time and development is needed

Electric cars are the latest major development in automobile technology. They are quiet and clean, contributing to drastic reduction in air pollution in the cities, much needed in some places. And they are claimed to be environmentally friendlier than conventional internal combustion vehicles. Finally, some even claim they work out cheaper in the long run, despite their high acquisition cost.

But at the same time, they have serious disadvantages. They’re expensive to buy, have a limited range per battery charge, charging takes a long time, and their long term viability hasn't been proven.

There’s also the concern, in declaring them cleaner overall, whether all factors have been correctly taken into account, or the industry is just cooking the calculations in order to boost sales, akin to bringing out a new model, only far more so. After all, these calculations are very complex and rely on many volatile and unpredictable parameters.

So what is your position?

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Electric cars are not clean at all. Though they don't pollute the place where they run, they need electricity to run which emits a lot of pollution at the time of generation.

• 1 year later...
On 2/14/2018 at 3:13 AM, Jogs said:

Electric cars are not clean at all. Though they don't pollute the place where they run, they need electricity to run which emits a lot of pollution at the time of generation.

It depends on how the electricity is generated.  If the electric is generated from solar it is clean.  You forgot to consider the manufacturing process of the cars.  The mining of the metals for the batteries can be dirty.  There are a lot of factors to consider, but the electric cars are the wave of the future, and we can only hope that the means of production, and power generation becomes greener than it is now.

1 hour ago, pc71520 said:

I've never liked these toy-"cars'"...:nono:

I suppose you don't realize that with internal combustion engines maximum power is at a certain rpm where as with electric maximum power is always there.  A proper electric car can easily blow away a conventional internal combustion powered car in a race any day of the week.  It is hardly a toy.

I believe the batteries will start to degrade after 5 years.  To replace all the batteries could be expensive.

nowadays? they're a meme. But I think the future is moving towards them (if all oil industry CEOs got suicided)

• 1 month later...

Archived