MEGA introduces "Achievements"...No more 50 GB of storage for New Users

Good evening, everyone!:hi:
I couldn't find a post regarding this topic...so I guess it's up to me.;)

As you all know, MEGA.nz is one of the TOP sites for Cloud Storage on the Web.
It has a VERY fast speed for data transfer, as well as having extremely secure End-to-End Encryption.
Not to mention the amazing 50GB of storage for FREE Users...something you'll never see anywhere else.
Overall, it is one of the best services you could rely on without having to use a single penny.:showoff:

However, it looks like our beloved site has lost one of its features recently, due to a change in policy.
Unfortunately that feature happens to be the free 50GB storage - one of the main reasons why millions of people all across the world use MEGA.:unsure:
In its place, MEGA has replaced it with "MEGA Achievements" - certain actions you have to take in order to unlock extra (temporary) storage & transfer quota.

Now, if you register a new account on MEGA.nz, it provides you with 50 Gigabytes of storage...for the next 30 days.:(
After 30 days, you receive the following message(via email) :

MEGA Achievement Expired
One of your achievements has expired today. Don't worry though, you can always achieve more or upgrade to a PRO account.
Best regards,
— Team MEGA

MEGA, however, hasn't made any statements about the new change, and the ones you can see are rather hard to find.
So why don't we take a trip though MEGA.nz and find out about everything that's going on?
Here we go...:)

wAtSKga.png
Here we are at MEGA's home page.
As you can see, it clearly says 50 GB of free storage.

But hold on...what's this?:think:
Rucc6pT.png

qbraVZn.png

The small print...:P
Scrolling down a bit more, you will see MEGA actually referring to their achievements. They certainly sound inviting...at first glance.
4EgZB1o.png

Then, we notice...<_<
Hq5ItI8.png

Z4pUoqj.png

...And the small print strikes again!:D
So it looks like the "50 GB", strictly speaking, wasn't "free" after all.
But the BEST way to find out more about this is to actually make a new account...so that's exactly what I did.:yes:

8yJX08L.png

Logging in...^_^
And here we are! This is MEGA.nz's default page after logging in.
BHL6cLz.png

But it looks like there's been a few changes...For starters, what's that little rocket icon doing over there?
yXd5xaQ.png

Clicking on the icon, I was able to see the following message :
nq6UqBS.png

It looks like we just found all the needed information!B)
It also seems that MEGA has made a LOT of changes...and not all of them are good news, since none of the achievements above provide permanent storage.

Now, when you register at MEGA, you at first get 15 GB base quota + the "35 GB Account registration bonus" which expires in 30 days.:mellow:
Unfortunately,  the "achievements" don't always become unlocked instantly after you finish with one of them - many people on various websites have reported a LOT of time being required for the extra storage & quota to become activated. (Even up to a few days on certain cases.)
The base quota is permanent, however, so there's always 15 GB of stable storage for your account.
You can also find more information about other MEGA Achievements from the screenshot posted above, OR take a look at the table I made below...^_^

+----------------------------+---------------+----------------+------------+
|        Achievements        | Storage space | Transfer quota | Expiration |
|      Create an account     |      15GB     |        -       |    never   |
| Account registration bonus |      35GB     |        -       |   30 days  |
|      Install MEGAsync      |      20GB     |      40GB      |  180 days  |
|   Install our mobile app   |      15GB     |      30GB      |  180 days  |
|   Invite a friend to MEGA  |      10GB     |      20GB      |  365 days  |

The NEXT big question is : "What about the OLD accounts that MEGA users have created before this happened? Do they also become affected?"
The answer is NO, they don't.
:)
Here is an official statement from MEGA Support, in response to that question...

"Achievement are only for new accounts, your original account will keep its 50GB, they won't be reduced to 15GB."

If you have a MEGA account from before, you will see that they (thankfully) don't have any "rocket icons" like the one above.
nlvc53r.png
So take care of your account...it's probably the only 50 GB from MEGA you're ever getting for free!;)

- FileSharing News by @0691, Reporting for Nsane.Forums

PLEASE GIVE ME A "LIKE" IF YOU LIKED MY POST and/or THINK I DESERVE IT. ^^

• Replies 12
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
user@nsaneforums

4 true mega fans those are so simple to get working in a vm

|        Achievements        | Storage space | Transfer quota | Expiration |

|      Install MEGAsync      |      20GB     |      40GB      |  180 days  |
|   Invite a friend to MEGA  |      10GB     |      20GB      |  365 days  |

3 hours ago, ZaG said:

There is a black lining to every cloud! every cloud!

Did you just make this up?  :lol:  The real expression is: "every cloud has a silver lining" And it's the opposite meaning you are implying.

used to say that every bad situation holds the possibility of something good

According to the Merriam Webster dictionary

I have been MEGA user for a long time and its my main backup service :) 

2 hours ago, lurch234 said:

Did you just make this up?    The real expression is: "every cloud has a silver lining" And it's the opposite meaning you are implying

yes I changed the old expression from silver to black to convey my personal opinion about clouds. :lol:

wew, back in the days, when megaupload was still active, i used to have a 1 year premium account for it.

I think for the referral bonus, it should not have any expiry but lower the storage space and transfer quota that user will receive and limit it to a maximum number of referral for an account.

There is no other good place that hosts 50 plus the transfer is good, lucky to have an existing one !.

• Administrator

Good work. I am not sure where this topic was originally posted, but it was in Filesharing Chat and I have moved it to Filesharing News. It's quite rare that a member written article is allowed in Filesharing News, this excellent piece of investigative article deserves to be in that list. We are proud to see this.

On undefined at 2:26 PM, compgen1534 said:

Thankfully, the policy didn't change for existing users. 

The account I had is good then.. phew

I know some people who were using  Mega to upload all there files to share with others  and as soon they got full,  they would  make up a new account  and  when they found  out about  this new system,  they just switched to better hosting without all these limitations,  witch is good  for the free users ,  because Mega broke Mega Downloader  and now you cant download but about 4 or 5 gb   in so many hours for free . But it don't matter  to me,  because  I have unlimited speed  , downloads  and streams to  most filelockers  incl this one  for just pennies a day lol.  They are only a few sites that use Mega but the ones that  do have  it always have good  stuff.

Archived