Disable Those Annoying Browser Notifications Once and for All

Reefa

You hate it as much as I do: that little box that appears whenever you visit a news site or blog, asking for permission to bug you with notification boxes for stuff you don’t care about. Instead of throwing up your hands in defeat and learning to live with the annoyance, you can stop sites from bothering you altogether. Here’s how.

Chrome

Hit the Menu icon in Chrome (the three vertical dots) and select Settings. Scroll down to the bottom of your Settings page and open the Advanced section, where you can further modify how Chrome behaves. Scroll down and select the Content Settings tab in the Privacy and Security section.

Select Notifications to see which sites are allowed or barred from intruding into your life. Disabling the feature altogether will stop sites from poking their nose into your browser, asking to show you notifications about whatever it is they want. Unfortunately, that means notifications you do want will be a no-show unless you decide to individually toggle the notification settings for each site you find yourself visiting. To turn the feature off entirely, toggle the “Ask before sending” setting to “off,” and rejoice.

Firefox

If you’ve already given sites permission to send you notifications, you can revoke that permission in your security settings. Hit the menu icon and select Options, then select Privacy & Security. Scroll down to the Permissions section and select Notifications Settings icon. There you can revoke notification permissions from sites either individually or all at once.

Disabling notifications entirely requires a small modification to Firefox’s configuration page. In your address bar, enter “about:config” and search for “dom.webnotifications.enabled”. Right-click the entry and select Toggle to set its value to “false” and prevent notifications from showing up ever again.

Safari

Disabling notifications in Safari is pretty easy. Select Safari in your Mac’s menu bar, then select Preferences. Hit the Notifications tab and deselect the “Allow websites to ask for permission to send push notifications” box.

Microsoft Edge

You can’t disable notifications from the browser itself, but you can remove sites that already have access to your notification service in Microsoft Edge. Hit the menu icon in the top right and select Settings. Scroll down to Advanced Settings, then select Website permissions. There you can toggle on or off permissions for sites, including notifications.

Disabling notifications entirely in Microsoft Edge means you’ll need to edit your system settings, specifically what permissions Microsoft Edge has in terms of popping up unannounced. Hit the Start menu and select the Settings icon. Select System, then “Notifications & actions” where you can edit which apps will show up in your action center. Just scroll down to Microsoft Edge and toggle it off.

source

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe foolish for still using IE11 in Win10 , but :  " how to disable annoying browser notifications in IE11 ? "      :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Pete 12 said:

Maybe foolish for still using IE11 in Win10 , but :  " how to disable annoying browser notifications in IE11 ? "      :rolleyes:

Control Panel > Internet Options > Privacy Tab > Settings > Uncheck "Show notification...."

ckiei19.png

• Administrator

I just wish all the newly visited sites stopped annoying with the question whether you want a notification or not. I do like notifications but if I want I would enable it myself here.

• 2 months later...

Archived