Insufficient Storage Error - SOLVED

eurotrash

Hi all, I have a problem with my smartphone. It keeps giving me the following error (Insufficient Storage) when I try to install a new app or update an app thru google play. I have plenty of free space. I searched google and was told to restart my phone, clear cache, and restart phone again. I tried that, worked the forst few times, now has stopped working. When I tried to update an app 5MB in size, it asked me to free up 120mb. Any ideas? - It works if I have a downloaded apk or if I am installing from XDA.

Extra Info: I have a Huwawei P8 2017 Lite

Android 7.0

EMUI 5.0

Thanks!

Edited by eurotrash

@eurotrash

Let me explain this to u:

When u install app from Google Play or other Online stores, some apps downloads more files, updates, databases, tracking files, .... which will expand the installation size. If your internal storage have less free space, you'll get this error.

Also, now google play store have the ability to provide smaller updates to big apps. For example LINE, which is nearly 50-70 MB install, once u installed, the updates will be 0-20 MB only. However, you can't install the update only without the main app. Hence, sites like xda/apkmirror/... provide downloads for complete app only.

Also, Play store downloads are stored in internal storage and then installed on the same storage. Hence, they need more internal storage space during installation. However, if you are sideloading, you could have the apk in other storage and install in internal storage.

If you use xda or any d/w apk, it'll expand only if u connect to internet/if auto-d/w codes are embedded into app which will be activated when u run the app wile online/use related features not on default apk.

Solutions:

1. You need to move some files to sdcard storage/external storage, move installed apps->move to sdcard. Or
  2. If the app works better with d/w apk /xda.... then install the app offline and block using firewall/adguard, the app  connecting to internet.
    Note: If the app have most online features, then switch to alternate apps which doesn't have this issue.
Edited by vissha

1 hour ago, vissha said:

@eurotrash

Let me explain this to u:

When u install app from Google Play or other Online stores, some apps downloads more files, updates, databases, tracking files, .... which will expand the installation size. If your internal storage have less free space, you'll get this error.

Also, now google play store have the ability to provide smaller updates to big apps. For example LINE, which is nearly 50-70 MB install, once u installed, the updates will be 0-20 MB only. However, you can't install the update only without the main app. Hence, sites like xda/apkmirror/... provide downloads for complete app only.

Also, Play store downloads are stored in internal storage and then installed on the same storage. Hence, they need more internal storage space during installation. However, if you are sideloading, you could have the apk in other storage and install in internal storage.

If you use xda or any d/w apk, it'll expand only if u connect to internet/if auto-d/w codes are embedded into app which will be activated when u run the app wile online/use related features not on default apk.

Solutions:

1. You need to move some files to sdcard storage/external storage, move installed apps->move to sdcard. Or
  2. If the app works better with d/w apk /xda.... then install the app offline and block using firewall/adguard, the app  connecting to internet.
    Note: If the app have most online features, then switch to alternate apps which doesn't have this issue.

But I have free space. I have 400MB free space, I have cleaned the cache, and to update Simple for Facebook (I think that it is a max of 5MB) it says I have no free space. I know that when it installs, it will unpack the compressed apk, but it cannot be more then 30MB unpacked, plus original 5MB apk, which makes 35MB total. I have 400MB, and it still says no space. And most of my apps are legally paid for or gotten as a free sale, but in the end, they almost all come from the playstore, but I am unable to dl from the playstore.  Any ideas? It cannot be an internal storage error, because if that were the case, the dl apks from XDA would also fail. 

17 minutes ago, eurotrash said:

I have 400MB free space

It is not enough.
Even if you can see it that it is free, actually it isn't. Most likely this " free space " and maybe more it is reserved by rom for cache and/or other junk.

You need to move some apps. on a memory card, and, maybe also to move some things to the cloud.

2 hours ago, Recruit said:

It is not enough.
Even if you can see it that it is free, actually it isn't. Most likely this " free space " and maybe more it is reserved by rom for cache and/or other junk.

You need to move some apps. on a memory card, and, maybe also to move some things to the cloud.

400MB not enough? How much free space do I need? 1GB? I will try your suggestion and report back...

11 minutes ago, eurotrash said:

How much free space do I need?

I don't have idea : it depends only by the producer or rom creator ( if you are using a custom one ).
I did not have these kinds of issues : My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB and also I have 256GB memory card : This storage is huge according with my needs for a phone.

I known that some users of Asus phones had some issues also related the storage space reserved for system....

Could be app has some OBB which contains the data files that it installs with the apk.. so the app installs more than the apk size..

Also Android usually hog space so 512 MB is fo its own use.. swap and cleanup.. Never install beyond that..

The solution is simple: You must uninstall some other big apps (eg. large games) to make up for this or move some aps to the sd card..

Lets just say, this is learned from the insatllation of thousands of apps on my devices..

Edited by teodz1984

11 hours ago, Recruit said:

It is not enough.

You were right, freed up 500MB and now everything updates without probs. Thank you!

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

I also prefer to store most files especially pictures and photos and videos in the cloud. do not take up space and are always at hand, have easy access to them. and you need to regularly clean the phone's memory of garbage (old and unused files and programs). It is possible to use a comprehensive manufacturer for this.

• 3 months later...