Yahoo provides notice to additional users affected by previously disclosed 2013 data theft

fr3d3r1ck

r55rhpr1.kco.jpg

NEW YORK -- Yahoo, now part of Oath, today announced that it is providing notice to additional user accounts affected by an August 2013 data theft previously disclosed by the company on December 14, 2016. At that time, Yahoo disclosed that more than one billion of the approximately three billion accounts existing in 2013 had likely been affected. In 2016, Yahoo took action to protect all accounts, including directly notifying impacted users identified at the time, requiring password changes and invalidating unencrypted security questions and answers so that they could not be used to access an account. Yahoo also notified users via a notice on its website.

Subsequent to Yahoo's acquisition by Verizon, and during integration, the company recently obtained new intelligence and now believes, following an investigation with the assistance of outside forensic experts, that all Yahoo user accounts were affected by the August 2013 theft. While this is not a new security issue, Yahoo is sending email notifications to the additional affected user accounts. The investigation indicates that the user account information that was stolen did not include passwords in clear text, payment card data, or bank account information. The company is continuing to work closely with law enforcement.

"Verizon is committed to the highest standards of accountability and transparency, and we proactively work to ensure the safety and security of our users and networks in an evolving landscape of online threats," said Chandra McMahon, Chief Information Security Officer, Verizon. "Our investment in Yahoo is allowing that team to continue to take significant steps to enhance their security, as well as benefit from Verizon's experience and resources."

Additional information regarding this issue is available on the Yahoo 2013 Account Security Update FAQs page, https://yahoo.com/security-update

Source: https://www.oath.com/press/yahoo-provides-notice-to-additional-users-affected-by-previously/

• Replies 8
  • Views 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite shocking but not surprising. Seems these data thefts and system breaches are becoming quite common place these days.

4-years later, Yahoo! tells us all @yahoo.com emails accounts were hacked. Thanks for the quick response Yahoo!

There is no way I would know, i don't use Yahoo , Gmail  or M$ email since 2011 I don't care about what happen years ago I know no spooks came knocking at my door is all that matters . I use my non US emails for most things and have 2 US emails if they want except my privacy based emails .

I'm surprised Yahoo has 3 billion users.

It's always the same, "Whoops, we were hacked. You'd better find some way to protect yourself"

No punishment ever happens to Yahoo or Equifax or the rest of them, we're the ones that get screwed.

R

13 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

It's always the same, "Whoops, we were hacked. You'd better find some way to protect yourself"

No punishment ever happens to Yahoo or Equifax or the rest of them, we're the ones that get screwed.

R

The thing is also Gmail was hacked  as well  but were Yahoo has been around longer a lot of people still use it.

In 2013, Elie Burzstein published a report that revealed 1 in 4 online accounts gets hacked, and that number is climbing all the time. More recently, close to 300 million online accounts were compromised. 24+ million of those accounts were Gmail, spreading a mass epidemic of fear among internet users everywhere.

https://getlogdog.com/blogdog/gmail-account-hacked/

The thing is they all  are prism  actors  meaning the NSA  still had and still has access  to you're mail because prism is still a active program.

13 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Once upon a time, the Yahoo! eMail service was very popular; their Search Engine, too. ;)

Archived