Windows 10 will overtake Windows 7 before 2017 is out

fr3d3r1ck

sdqympb0.v1u.jpg

According to numbers from one analyst firm, Windows 10 is set to overtake Windows 7 before the end of the year, in terms of the amount of PCs these operating systems are installed on across the world.

The latest figures from Statcounter (based on its own website analytics) show that, as of September 2017, Windows 10 is installed on 39.3% of desktop Windows PCs, and Windows 7 is now only just ahead at 43.99%.

Compared to the previous month, Windows 10 gained 1.43% market share (up from 37.87%), whereas Windows 7 dropped 1.11% (down from 45.1%).

If that trend continues and the same gain/loss are made throughout October and November, when the stats are revealed at the start of December, Windows 10 will reach 42.16% compared to Windows 7 on 41.77%.

In other words, before 2017 is over, we’ll likely have a new king of the Windows operating systems, (almost) two and a half years after its release.

Rise after fall

The release of the Fall Creators Update later this month will likely only ensure that Windows 10 has more of a climb, given that new features could tempt some more upgrades.

Meanwhile, rival analytics firm Netmarketshare still has a far greater gap between Windows 10 and Windows 7, with the operating systems at 28.65% and 46.22% market share, respectively.

Although this company’s figures for September appear to have somehow gone awry, considering that Linux has made a massive leap to 4.83%, and is supposedly now more popular than macOS Sierra (10.12), which is on 3.8%. As MS Power User – which spotted these numbers – notes, this certainly appears to be a mistake.

It’s also worth noting that Netmarketshare takes into account all desktop operating systems, whereas Statcounter’s figures are just Windows versions (no Linux or Mac included – although these don’t make a huge impact on the world of PCs, of course, compared to Microsoft’s OS).

The Fall Creators Update for Windows 10 will begin its big rollout two weeks from tomorrow, on October 17.

Source: http://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-will-overtake-windows-7-before-2017-is-out

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jimbojet2011

Keep on dreaming :D

A logical result. These rates are not the result of Windows 7 users changing to Windows 10 but NEW computers sold running Windows 10 and old Windows 7 computers falling out.

Has Windows 10 Overtaken Windows 7 Yet? Depends Who You Ask

How many people are actually using Windows 10? You might think this is a simple question to answer, but Microsoft’s numbers have thus far failed to match up with the values reported by various tracking services. In the latest update of market share, Windows 10 appears to be closing the gap with Windows 7. However, Microsoft says it caught up earlier this year. So, what’s going on?

There are three sets of numbers to go by when gauging the success of Windows 10, or lack thereof. The latest numbers from NetMarketShare indicate that Windows 10 has a global share of 27.99 percent compared with 46.22 percent for Windows 7. These figures also include all other operating systems like macOS and Linux. Still, at the rate Windows 10 is gaining, it will be the better part of a year before it passes Windows 7. Windows 8 is powering 7.06 percent of computers, and Windows XP still runs on 5.51 percent of PCs, according to NetMarketShare.

Meanwhile, StatCounter has a different set of numbers that are broken down to only include various Windows builds. Here, we see Windows 10 with 39.3 percent of Windows users, which is very close to Windows 7’s 43.99 percent share. If the trend continues, StatCounter could show Windows 10 as the most popular version of Windows by the end of the year. StatCounter lists Windows 8 at 11.65 percent and Windows XP at 4.19 percent.

https://s7d7.turboimg.net/sp/b9f50eb8f26c1284e28c3b4a68d3109c/4410512.png

Finally, we have Microsoft. The company has neglected to offer usage stats since early this year, but it first reported Windows 10 was more popular than Windows 7 in August of 2016. At that time, it had a 43 percent share of Windows users to Win7’s 42 percent. In the most recent data from Microsoft (February 2017), Windows 10 was at 47 percent and Windows 7 had dropped to 39 percent.

So, three different measurements of Windows 10 usage, and three different answers about how it’s doing. It’s either trailing Windows 7 by a substantial margin, within striking distance, or way in the lead. The actual answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

Even that isn’t the best news for Microsoft. Windows 10 was offered as a free upgrade, and the fact it hasn’t been the clear leader for ages points to a problem. Microsoft caught flack for the way it pushed users into upgrading, as well as the frequent mandatory updates to Windows 10. It doesn’t have the same negative reputation as Windows 8, but a lot of Windows 7 users are sticking with what they know.

Source

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/256856-windows-10-overtaken-windows-7-yet-depends-ask

I could care less if  Windows 10 or Windows 7 are in the lead i used Windows 8.1 every since 2013  and i used windows 10  for over a year once and  for the last 6 months have been using Windows 8.1 again but i still have a PC with Windows 10  that collects  dust because i can only use one PC at a time,  what happens in 2020 when end of  extended  service runs out for Windows 10 and Windows 7 no longer gets updates  then if you want too upgrade too newer versions of Windows 10 you will need  to buy it again? Or maybe piracy will still work for windows 10 in 2020 who knows  if you're into that sort of thing.

I have some good news for Windows users for the 1st  time in a longtime  w3counter reports Windows being ahead again Android has 31.77%   and Windows is in the lead again with 42.34% and they also show Windows 10 catching up With Windows 7

https://s7d8.turboimg.net/sp/9f48ec7ef776d9f61b8ca1c2b575e7fb/os.png

https://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php?year=2017&month=9

8 minutes ago, 0bin said:

@steven36 what OS I should use in your opinion?

I don't tell people what OS  they should  use I have PCs at my  house  with Windows 7 ,Windows 8.1 , Windows 10 and Linux  on them .  Some in my home are not going worry about using something else tell Windows 7 runs out of updates  and most normal users wont  care tell around 2019.

10 hours ago, 0bin said:

i heard that in us you can do in certain states dumpster diving,

find any good parts or old pcs there?

I never done this,  but it just depends if  they have someone watching a dump site or not , with many Linux Distros dropping x86 support  and Windows 10 killing off support too many windows 8.1 PCs i don't think you would find very much good stuff in a dump site any more. A lot of Linux users were  pulling old  XP Pentium 4 out of the trash and making them into Linux Boxes , But I have a real old AMD Athlon XP and nothing works right on it but XP  when I put Linux on it before Anti X witch is a light weight Distro based on Debian it was too slow,  so i put XP  back on it.  But with OS vendors killing off x86 and certain chips, i doubt you would find  much good stuff  in there, if you wanted too run the latest OSes.

I'm trying  too figure  out how you would  see it anyways? The ones  who really know how many users they have is Microsoft and they not going too tell you the truth no how because of marketing reasons it benefits them to say Windows 10 has the most users  because the masses all  want too have what  everyone has.  It been like this long before the internet  .  As far as marketshare stats from counters they not 100% accurate because each one gives different info and some people change there user agent strings  and not all websites have these counters on them .. Also many people use adblockers  and script blockers that block 3rd party trackers like these that collect user agent stats and i have 3 PCs  beside me i don't  even fire up in like 6 months I been too busy doing summer things too  fool with them. So there are many PCs out there  that don't get used very often.

Here is proof you cant pay no mind in what marketshare stats from counters say even big time Linux journalist and user  Joey Sneddon says there far from the truth.

Linux Marketshare on Desktops Apparently Hit 6.91% in September

Large pinch of a proverbial table condiment required, me thinks

Desktop Linux marketshare hit an all-time high of 6.91% in September 2017, according to preliminary data from web analytics firm NetMarketShare.

The figure is impressive but is also highly irregular and out of sync with the reported Linux marketshare from other companies like StatCounter and Wikimedia.

Interestingly, if this figure is in any way accurate, it would mean that Linux marketshare has not only pretty much doubled in the space of 30 days but has overtaken macOS in the process!

This stat is (sadly) unlikely to be accurate

These figures are from one company based on a small sample size and, as we’ve mentioned many times before, are out of sync with other analytics reporting companies.

The stats collected and presented by analytics companies are always open to interpretation, debate and potential errors.

NetMarketShare gleans its data based on visits to a tiny sample of just 40,000 websites globally.

While the company does exclude Android/Linux from its desktop rankings they do combine ChromeOS/Linux with GNU/Linux, leading some to attribute the rise in Linux marketshare to Google’s Chrome OS.

Netmarketshare also stress that the graph showing Linux’s big leap is based on “preview data that has NOT been reviewed by Quality Assurance”. That process looks for, among other things, “major inexplicable statistical variations”.

Which I’d wager this counts as!

That said the rise does follow a period of sustained growth for Linux desktops this year as monitored by this firm. Last month’s stats surpass the previous peak Linux marketshare reported by the company which put Linux usage at 3.37% for August 2017.

While Linux fans may be keen to put stock in these figures it’s super unlikely that Linux marketshare almost doubled in the space of 30 days when, for the best part of a decade, it has only made small incremental gains at best.

Thanks adasiko

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/10/linux-marketshare-6-91-percent-september-2017

So any fanboy of a certain OS could use these dream sheets and twist the truth month to month if you trust stats i don't trust them when any thing shifts too much  from one month too the next there not meant to be used like this, there meant to use to see were things are headed over the long term .

By the way NetMarketShare  has corrected there error by now  after everyone seen the mistake and question it too a more believable stats  . :lol:

https://s7d5.turboimg.net/sp/73ac8f26fff21a53938382d28220d211/Linux.png

https://netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=9&qpaf=&qpcustom=Linux&qpcustomb=0

All this USELESS information on here that Windows 10 will overtake Windows 7. !!

Windows 10 is here and now.

And it will upgrade soon to a newer version Win10.....................:D  !

4 hours ago, Pete 12 said:

And it will upgrade soon to a newer version Win10.....................:D  !

Its already available  :rockon:

22 hours ago, dezsez said:

All this USELESS information on here that Windows 10 will overtake Windows 7.

Yeap...

Too Much...for Nothing... :tooth:

9 hours ago, virge said:

Windows 12 due out in 2019.

What is you source? THIS was published as an April Fools note in April 1 2017 at windowsreport.com

[EXCLUSIVE] In just a few days’ time, Microsoft will release the Windows 10 Creators Update OS. We’re sure that the new OS version will revolutionize the personal computing industry, allowing users to immerse themselves in an impressive never-before-seen 3D environment.

Microsoft is determined to further innovate the tech world and the Creators Update is only the beginning. According to sources from inside the company, VR is the next step.

Windows 12 is all about VR

Yes, you’ve read that right! Our sources from the company confirmed that Microsoft is planning to release a new operating system called Windows 12 in early 2019. Indeed, there will be no Windows 11, as the company decided to jump straight to Windows 12.

The reason behind this name is rather a symbolic one. Windows 12 is the bridge between the classic Windows OS and the new innovative OS. It marks the beginning of a new era in personal computing: the VR era.

To be honest, the news that Microsoft’s upcoming Windows 12 will be focusing entirely on VR is not that surprising for us. As a quick reminder, at the beginning of January we sort of predicted that Microsoft could be looking to integrate VR directly into Windows 10. However, we never thought that this would happen so fast.

It is worth mentioning that Microsoft will provide a free VR headset to each and every user who upgrades to Windows 12. HP, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, Dell will build VR headsets for Microsoft. The Redmond giant wants to make VR available and affordable for the general public.

To conclude this surprising piece of news, we remind you that today is April Fools’ Day. Microsoft is indeed trying to make VR accessible and affordable to the general public, but we have no clue as to what features Windows 12 will bring — and if there will be a Windows 12 OS.

It is interesting to read that there is only one OS for Microsoft just now and it is 10. After Softpedia news Google states that "Microsoft is making Windows 7 easy to hack due to full focus on Windows 10". This leaves 7 unpatched and Windows 10 patches can be used to discover vulnerabilities in Windows 7. This fits to my understanding because hackers probably destroyed my 7 in Ccleaner episode. :wub:

Microsoft is making Windows 7 easy to hack due to full focus on Windows 10

and I'll still be using Windows XP in 2018... I actually preferred Windows 8.1 over 10. Oh well, to each their own..

• 4 months later...

Windows 7 was the best work of Microsoft. It is not easy to get accustomed to a new OS.

On 10/9/2017 at 2:09 AM, banned said:

and I'll still be using Windows XP in 2018... I actually preferred Windows 8.1 over 10. Oh well, to each their own..

Why did you stick to Xp? Some programs wont work I guess

On 10/2/2017 at 9:03 PM, fr3d3r1ck said:

According to numbers from one analyst firm, Windows 10 is set to overtake Windows 7 before the end of the year, in terms of the amount of PCs these operating systems are installed on across the world.

The latest figures from Statcounter (based on its own website analytics) show that, as of September 2017, Windows 10 is installed on 39.3% of desktop Windows PCs, and Windows 7 is now only just ahead at 43.99%.

Compared to the previous month, Windows 10 gained 1.43% market share (up from 37.87%), whereas Windows 7 dropped 1.11% (down from 45.1%).

If that trend continues and the same gain/loss are made throughout October and November, when the stats are revealed at the start of December, Windows 10 will reach 42.16% compared to Windows 7 on 41.77%.

Personally, I'm neither in sympathy of Windows 10 nor suspended back in time with Windows 7 (and, by no stretch of imagination — in mourning for the living undead . . . . . WinXP) — just a User of an OS entirely different from the ones being discussed.

Something that has gone-by unnoticed is the fact that whatever was predicted (refer to the quote) has seem to have come true — according to the latest trend chart, ended January 2018:—

Cjq3O1o.png

3 hours ago, dcs18 said:

Personally, I'm neither in sympathy of Windows 10 nor suspended back in time with Windows 7 (and, by no stretch of imagination — in mourning for the living undead . . . . . WinXP) — just a User of an OS entirely different from the ones being discussed.

So, what OS you use?? :)

Archived