Mozilla has cleaned up Firefox privacy provisions

fr3d3r1ck

firefoxlogocrop-580x358.jpg

PRIVACY ADVOCATE, but occasional bad CEO hirer, Mozilla has taken the Firefox privacy information and made it somewhat clearer.

Most of the information that technology firms put out for punters is murky. For example, anyone who downloaded iTunes in 2007 is probably still reading through the terms and conditions and the same epic content can be expected with almost anything. Because of this people don't read them, choosing instead to read through a phone book or a foreign language copy of War and Peace.

This is the second time that Mozilla has tinkered with the information. It did it in 2014 in an attempt to make things clearer. Times have changed since then, and so has the information.

"Back in 2014, we reorganized our privacy policies to make them simple, clear, and usable. That effort was based on simplifying the then 14-page privacy policy around a framework that retained some detail but helped users find information more quickly," writes Firefox's chief legal and business officer Denelle Dixon.

"Today I'm happy to announce another revision of our Firefox Privacy Notice, which follows our initial announcement on the topic.  We continue to build our products focusing on user control and fulfilling our "no surprises" rule when it comes to privacy.  We believe that in context notices with the user experience in mind make notices more understandable and actionable for users".

The new method is to supply information through a layered approach that shows what is collected about the user, why it is collected, and what choices and control you have over all that. Also up for a change is the language that the firm uses. This is supposed to be more transparent, or as we like to imagine "clearer".

New users should be instantly greeted with this new privacy order because Dixon said that it would appear as guidance on a second tab when a new install is launched.

Source: https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3018340/mozilla-has-cleaned-up-firefox-privacy-provisions

• Replies 31
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
knowledge-Spammer

stay with 5.5.0.3 i think is best  newer version is slow as hell for me  its say its faster but i not think so its have big delay on newer versions or it not like Process Lasso

Well  them pinging  the crap  out of me  witch my firewall auto blocks it is not  a good sign  once i harden up the browser with a few tweaks it goes away without  blocking it . There is a lot of things I dont like about the new Firefox even though i'm  testing but there  is a lot more i don't like about the chrome alternatives

knowledge-Spammer
7 hours ago, steven36 said:

Well  them pinging  the crap  out of me  witch my firewall auto blocks it is not  a good sign  once i harden up the browser with a few tweaks it goes away without  blocking it . There is a lot of things I dont like about the new Firefox even though i'm  testing but there  is a lot more i don't like about the chrome alternatives

i like firefox but with newer versions ill be blockin all newer version  as it have big delay for me  firefox is doing good job  on makeing people not want to use or update shame they did this  i hope firefox team see my comment  firefox team fix firefox like it was 

Just now, knowledge said:

i like firefox but with newer versions ill be blockin all newer version  as it have big delay for me  firefox is doing good job  on makeing people not want to use or update shame they did this  i hope firefox team see my comment  firefox team fix firefox like it was 

Use ESR version tell  2018 while they sorting out the bugs that way you can get security  updates i be testing Firefox 57 beta  but it's not my default I use 52.4 ESR as my default browser.

for me the new version 0.57 of Firefox is working really fast, and if I compare it with version 55.0 or either with 56.0 the difference is really noticeable.

the only bad thing I noticed is that some plugins does not work, but that is not a big trouble, is just a matter of time, due now they are going to user the new standard called WebExtensions.

4 hours ago, knowledge said:

Good luck with that. UFbmK6T.gif

12 minutes ago, SPECTRUM said:

for me the new version 0.57 of Firefox is working really fast, and if I compare it with version 55.0 or either with 56.0 the difference is really noticeable.

the only bad thing I noticed is that some plugins does not work, but that is not a big trouble, is just a matter of time, due now they are going to user the new standard called WebExtensions.

Be careful what Add-ons you install a lot of  Add-ons with  Bitcoin miners showing up the way they they done legacy addons was much better now with the web addons there auto approving them  some of them could have bad malware in them . Stay safe out there. ;)

Mining codes been discovered in  reviewed add-ons from "Add-ons for Firefox" site

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/737kze/mining_codes_been_discovered_in_two_reviewed/

4 minutes ago, SPECTRUM said:

I only use two... Adblock Plus! (with personal filters, including the new one called NoCoin) and Free Download Manager.

You must be using the APB Beta addon  the old one not working for v57? I think these 2 add-ons are safe

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Be careful what Add-ons you install a lot of  Add-ons with  Bitcoin miners showing up the way they they done legacy addons was much better now with the web addons there auto approving them  some of them could have bad malware in them . Stay safe out there. ;)

Mining codes been discovered in  reviewed add-ons from "Add-ons for Firefox" site

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/737kze/mining_codes_been_discovered_in_two_reviewed/

Interesting. I thought that Steam based addon was long discovered for doing that.

Hardened firewall rules and a stringent ad. blocking policy ensures that I don't give a shit for their privacy provisions — past, present and future. <_<

5 hours ago, steven36 said:

I have been running the new version for a few hours on a system not behind a firewall and have not seen anything that indicates Mozilla is pinging my system or getting any type of data.  Checked initially when surfing websites and then have let it just sit here and am seeing no connections or activity related to Firefox.  The new version does initially appear to be faster, but I have not added any add-ons to it yet.

16 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

I have been running the new version for a few hours on a system not behind a firewall and have not seen anything that indicates Mozilla is pinging my system or getting any type of data.  Checked initially when surfing websites and then have let it just sit here and am seeing no connections or activity related to Firefox.  The new version does initially appear to be faster, but I have not added any add-ons to it yet.

It's called pingsender.exe in the Firefox folder.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3032530

You can turn these off by un-checking the settings in /Tools/Options/Advanced/Data Choices.

https://s7d4.turboimg.net/sp/3dcb4a7e38ee1fe8ab9431c6fc1335e8/firefox.png

It don't call home here  no more after i uncheck those boxes  it sets browser send pings to false in the  about:config Firefox 57 beta 4

there's also another one in there you can turn off too make sure.

https://s7d8.turboimg.net/sp/e73565df45dd91b99705e38a9ed87f91/firefox.png

Only  time it called home on me was  when i was testing a doggy portable version of Firefox 56  and it deleted my installed version profile and  my firewall will block it if calls out i already had it happen once and blocked it. :tooth:

7 hours ago, knowledge said:

stay with 5.5.0.3 i think is best  newer version is slow as hell for me  its say its faster but i not think so its have big delay on newer versions or it not like Process Lasso

Do you mean 55.0.3 or 5.5.0.3 could you provide a link of this version ?

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

It don't call home here  no more after i uncheck those boxes  it sets browser send pings to false in the  about:config Firefox 57 beta 4

there's also another one in there you can turn off too make sure.

https://s7d8.turboimg.net/sp/e73565df45dd91b99705e38a9ed87f91/firefox.png

Only  time it called home on me was  when i was testing a doggy portable version of Firefox 56  and it deleted my installed version profile and  my firewall will block it if calls out i already had it happen once and blocked it. :tooth:

Could you recommend me the fastest and most secure version of Firefox or what kind of Addons or tricks should i use to make it better ?

10 hours ago, knowledge said:

Neither was v55 nor v56 is, of any problem here, you may want to check it up with a clean profile and if the problem remains then disabling(momentarily) the programs that affect your firefox (Adguard, PLP, etc.)

Undertaker recommends anything from stable build onwards, though his preference is the Nightly.

@0bin There are other ways to have different profiles even with the same browser build. ^_^

13 hours ago, knowledge said:

It's also ugly tab wise, I gave up on the beta's and I am using v56.0.0.

It also hangs as you mentioned.

I was playing on-line-games with the latest beta and it cost me some games.

9 hours ago, TROJA said:

Could you recommend me the fastest and most secure version of Firefox or what kind of Addons or tricks should i use to make it better ?

I recommend  to stay up too date . Use FireFox ESR if you like legacy addons . If you don't mind using newer web addons  use the beta. As far as addons  we all have different tastes what i like you may not like.

9 hours ago, knowledge said:

i use 55.0.3

Why  not just use Firefox 52.4 ESR?

You do know  by using a outdated  browser that  52.4 ESR ,56 Final  and 57 beta  have security  fixes  you don't have?

Security vulnerabilities fixed in Firefox  56

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2017-21/

Security vulnerabilities fixed in Firefox ESR 52.4

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2017-22/

The  addon i miss  the most in testing 57 beta is CTR but 57 beta is very fast for me using nothing but pure web addons  but it's taking some getting use too so i'm still using ESR 52.4 with legacy addons  as my default browser.

16 hours ago, SPECTRUM said:

For me, the new version 0.57 of Firefox is working really fast,

and if I compare it with version 55.0 or either with 56.0,

the difference is really noticeable.

The only bad thing I noticed is that some plugins does not work,

but that is not a big trouble, is just a matter of time,

due now they are going to user the new standard called WebExtensions.

That's the bottom line. ;)

knowledge-Spammer

for me i stay on 55.0.3  i not care about Security vulnerabilities :o

u guys can do as u feel best for u but i not want to  take time  to edit of change things  when 55.0.3 is fine for me no problems on that version

maybe on newer version something i have make it slow ? like adguard or something i donot no  but i said some time ago i  may stop useing firefox if it not changed in good ways  shame

Archived