Burger King Russia Demands 'It' Ban, Saying Clown Looks Like Ronald McDonald

fr3d3r1ck

gsyid23r.qu4.jpg

Burger King's Russian division has filed a complaint with the country's Federal Anti-Monopoly Service (FAS), demanding that the movie It be banned in the country.

The company claimed that the movie's clown character Pennywise looks like Ronald McDonald and therefore works as an advertisement for the rival fast-food brand.

A spokeswoman for the FAS confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that Burger King's complaint has been received and is being evaluated.

"We can't be concerned with the content of the film because the writer and director have their own creative understanding of any character," she said, adding that the agency would have to determine though whether the movie contains advertising or product placement.

There is no time frame for consideration of complaints of that kind.

Burger King has been actively expanding its operations in Russia and has been aggressively pushing new ideas. It was recently forced to explain to Russian regulators the issuance of its crypto currency, WhopperCoin, as crypto currencies are not allowed in the country.

Earlier this year, a video called It – McDonald's Edition was made available on YouTube, containing some of the movie's plot points and featuring Ronald McDonald instead of Pennywise.

It opened in Russia on Sept. 7 and has grossed $14 million in the country so far. As of Tuesday, the movie was still available in more than 100 movie theaters throughout Russia.

Russian social media users reacted sarcastically to Burger King's complaint. "I think that the head of Burger King Russia should have played Pennywise," a user said on Facebook.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/burger-king-russia-demands-it-movie-ban-saying-clown-looks-like-ronald-mcdonald-1042979

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow clowns are "clones". Clowns all look the same, like chinese, at least for someone who is not a clown or a chinese.

For some reason, they want to ban "IT" in Russia. Has it to do with age old clown-loving-tradition in Russia? I feel that showing bad or perverse clowns is kind  of a "heresy" for Russians.

Personally, I don't find "clowns" funny, at all. It's not as adult; I never liked clowns. Maybe it's a reason I never liked Jerry Lewis "clowning" with Dean Martin. After having seen 2 o 3 movies with Jerry Lewis, I put him on my personal "blacklist". Remember when other kids said "There is a new movie with Jerry Lewis" it left me cold!

Maybe i's my innate "Black Humor"!

For sure, I won't spend my good money on IT but it shouldn't be banned. IT shows what clowns are in real life! ...:P

Now it's funny that Burger King feels that IT is kind of a MacDonald ad. I feel that it should be MacDonald asking to ban the movie because it might be an adverse publicity for BadDonald.

And of course, I neither spend my good money in MacDonald or Burger King, buying bad cholesterol and junk food.

This topic don't even make no sense  what so ever because Burger King don't have no Ronald McDonald  that is McDonald's that have a clown so why would Burger King care if they scare away people form McDonald's? it would give them more businesses from people not.going too McDonald's.  IT is a scary clown that kills kids .Ronald McDonald  is a nice clown that like kids. :wtf:

I read the book before  and the movie is just a Reboot of Stephen Kings IT 1990 movie. And i done seen the new one already.:lol:

Either they do it for indirect advertising or they know a judge who is a clown. But they need to know more than one judge. There was a case I know in Russia, somewhere in Northern region, "they" needed to collect more taxes from snowplowing, so instead of raising taxes, they decided to collect snow and GUARD it in some yard, so people had to pay for snow guarding. My memory tells me that it was big fiasco, but I really don't know how it ended. Is there anyone who really knows that story?

Archived