[solved] need help regarding Windows Image backup

rach

Hi guys, please help me

Is it save to create Windows Image from SSD to external HDD? My first time facing SSD and Windows 10. I want to keep the activated Windows there, so I don't to reactivate it again later.
If yes, is it okay to just use Windows built-in function for this? Or should software like Macrium Reflect?

Regards :)

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Acronis & Macrium are the best, I think !

But you shouldn't waste your time installing bloatware into computer, just use the bootable medias of each.

To this moment I use Macrium. Maybe Acronis is the best, but I think that Macrium is better regarding the networking part : I need to save snapshots to my personal home cloud based on NAS devices....

12 minutes ago, rach said:

I want to keep the activated Windows there, so I don't to reactivate it again later.

Concerning this part, take a look to this app. : it helps a lot !

Good luck & Regards,

;)

22 minutes ago, rach said:

I want to keep the activated Windows there, so I don't to reactivate it again later.

Have only limited experience with Windows 8.1 — restoring from a backed-up image using Acronis, does retain activation (have used Macrium, too — have never had the opportunity of testing activation status, though.) ;)

8 hours ago, rach said:

Hi guys, please help me

Is it save to create Windows Image from SSD to external HDD? My first time facing SSD and Windows 10. I want to keep the activated Windows there, so I don't to reactivate it again later.
If yes, is it okay to just use Windows built-in function for this? Or should software like Macrium Reflect?

Acronis, you can make a bootable cd / usb and also store the image to HDD & keep your lic, I do this, as part of my Mcgyver USB Stick {wip}.

@Pete 12 @Recruit @dcs18 @walker1010 @Dodel Thank you for sharing your valuable experience here.

So far, I have done it with Windows built-in Image backup and Macrium Reflect free, with Windows 8.1 from HDD to HDD, both keep the activation well as far as I know.

I haven't tried Acronis (True Image) and CloneZilla.
So it seems nobody experience it with Windows System Image backup? anyway it seems that its safe to create Image backup from SSD to external HDD, right?. okay, I will do with Windows first then probably Acronis or Macrium (also takes time to download here, hehehe).

Regards. :)

19 hours ago, rach said:

6 hours ago, rach said:

So it seems nobody experience it with Windows System Image backup?

The last time I had to restore from a backup created by Windows, it failed miserably and forced me to explore 3rd party alternatives despite the presence of a native functionality. Acronis was just one of the many other discoveries from that outreach — there's nothing else that comes anywhere close to Acronis.

In all fairness to Microsoft, though — this was many years ago (don't have any idea whether the present day Windows image makes the cut or not.)

1 hour ago, dcs18 said:

The last time

Last time ? It means there were more times ?  yXZVmpE.gif

You are a hero dcs, but this is known already !  RlW5CMh.gif

Never used that " feature " from Windows : I supposed that is a crap, like many, many other things from M$..... RL8WwPy.gif

I like the comfortable way, so I passed on directly to the next level : Acronis & Macrium  tx38TOr.gif

The operative principle in my household is that everyone has to essentially create at least 1 system mirror each day (on their respective computers) . . . . . every day — we've adopted this ritual of running an offline backup whenever going for a bath (takes around the same time — 15 to 20 minutes). On some clammy days we end-up creating 2 back-ups. zDLbIxl.gif

Finally, one day when my HDD committed suicide and forced me to restore the image to a newly purchased disk, it just wouldn't — that was the reference to the "last" time that I used the native Windows image. ^_^

22 hours ago, rach said:

Something important that I just remembered . . . . . re-activation is not necessary only if a backup from the same hardware is used for restore — but, even on the same hardware if major changes were made after the backup, re-activation would be necessary.

'elo rachman

If it's just the activation you're concerned about, I would say you use other tools too to back it up just in case.

I personally use MTK v2.6.2 and MSActBackup for saving my activation status. Takes less than a minute to restore activation.

7 hours ago, dcs18 said:

Something important that I just remembered . . . . . re-activation is not necessary only if a backup from the same hardware is used for restore — but, even on the same hardware if major changes were made after the backup, re-activation would be necessary.

Everyone would already be aware — Microsoft Office uses the same goddamned hardware-mapping that Windows uses (just a heads-up — it's as cumbersome re-activating Office just as it is having to re-activate Windows.) ;)

Archived