Kaspersky Antivirus Banned by Best Buy Due to Spying Concerns

Matsuda

People on Linux worry about Hardware  being backdoored all the time because there running a open source OS on top of closed source hardware were people on windows are using closed sourced  OS  that is backdoored  at a OS level and a hardware level seem too focus on the close source OS and it's software but not the fact there most likely hacking you trough you're hardware as well. So you are most likely screwed  on Windows no matter what were on Linux you can run older hardware  before they added it to a hardware level  and be OK .

• Replies 50
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never used no Antivirus  on Linux  there is malware  on Linux  but most Antivirus  have mostly windows malware signatures and  not Linux malware ones and are for people who use Linux Server that share files with Windows users . Linux  dont have a lot of users on it were security firms are willing too pay  all the money it cost too add the Linux signatures.

Many people on Linux are  against  using closed source programs and say if you think you have problems with malware just add closed source programs to Linux  and you will have these problems they view closed source software  and Windows as a virus .

knowledge-Spammer
7 hours ago, steven36 said:

I never used no Antivirus  on Linux  there is malware  on Linux  but most Antivirus  have mostly windows malware signatures and  not Linux malware ones and are for people who use Linux Server that share files with Windows users . Linux  dont have a lot of users on it were security firms are willing too pay  all the money it cost too add the Linux signatures.

i think Linux Mint  was hacked ? maybe

Just now, knowledge said:

i think Linux Mint  was hacked ? maybe

Anything can be hacked and it dont matter if you run a antivirus or not if it's a 0day  and you click on it  .

Just now, 0bin said:

One of my friend in a review show me on Linux there is a tool looking for Rootkit.

All ransomware on Linux was easily cracked so far  . Most Malware coders  dont know how too write very effective Linux Malware.

knowledge-Spammer
7 hours ago, 0bin said:

One of my friend in a review show me on Linux there is a tool looking for Rootkit.

If I'm not wrong was a .iso with different signature, if you verified signature before installing should be ok.

this was one way sure is much more ways

1 minute ago, 0bin said:

Rootkit is something different than ransomware.

Prevention and Monitoring
The best way to keep ones system secure and free of rootkits is to prevent them from being installed on ones system. One way for doing this is not allowing the attacker to have access to the administrative account. Without root access the attacker can't hide their tracks with a rootkit. To monitor a system a technique called file integrity checking is used to detect rootkits fast by looking at the machine for changes. The idea is to make a fingerprint of the machine right after a fresh install and after a newly installed program. A fingerprint is a cryptographic hash function which makes a hash that depends on every bit of data in a file. After this hash is made, by calculating and comparing the stored hash value with the current hash value, changes in the data can be detected. Also, there is Linux software which checks the integrity of files on a machine. One example of this type of software is Tripwire which uses a hash function and stores the information about the files in a password protected database. It will alert the user if the files which are being monitored have changed and then the user can see if a rootkit changed that file. However, the best way to prevent rootkits is by practicing smart security, for example, firewalls, good passwords, checking permissions etc.

Conclusion
Rootkits are a way attackers hide their tracks and keep access to the machines they control. The good rootkits are very hard to detect and remove. They can be running on ones computer and no one can even know they have been running. The rootkits which are unknown and uses LKM are one of the worst ones a Linux user can get. Practicing good security, for example, using SELinux which is used by EnGarde Secure Linux, is the best way to combat rootkits. For more information about rootkits and software please look at these references.

References

1. RK detector
http://www.rootkitdetector.com

2. Linux RootKits For Beginners - From Prevention to Removal
http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whitepapers/linux/901.php

3. Tripwire
http://www.tripwire.org

4. AIDE (Advanced Intrusion Detection Environment)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/aide

5. osiris: (a better approach then tripwire & aide)
http://osiris.shmoo.com/

6. rkhunter:
http://rkhunter.sf.net/

7. chkrootkit:
http://www.chkrootkit.org/

8. some package tools have their verification
rpm --verify

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154709/171/

I run my programs  in firejail  and use a firewall  and only allow root when i have too most programs on Linux don't require root at all and if you run Linux as root  when it's not needed you're asking for  problems . That what makes antivirus dangerous  on Linux when i tested one before it wanted me too give it root all the time so I never used it again.

8 minutes ago, 0bin said:

@steven36

This is something you won't like at all, if I am right. :P

G8exPnA.png

i still have one PC with Windows 10 but am in no hurry too fool with it ..I rather do something else and let the fanboys deal with those upgrade bugs ..I may get bored and change my mind one day I'm watching  how many people have problems etc lol.

I still have Redstone 1  on my other PC  I never put Redstone 2 on it and watching too see how much problems people before I upgrade it or not. This computer I use all the time use to have Redstone 2 on it and I removed it after about 2 weeks and put Windows 8.1 on it I tested  Redsone 1 and  Redstone 2  the day  the sign off builds leaked  but not this time tired of fooling with it,  i have a lot of Linux upgrades too do soon anyway. .

When you're talking about NSA  backdoors they been in everything every since after 9-11  back when  me and millions of people were using Kazaa and eDonkey  the NSA  was spying on us in the early 2000s even though they didn't care  that we were downloading and sharing they were doing too see if they could find any useful info. ( Operation FAVA Pod)

NSA Broke the Encryption on File-Sharing Apps Kazaa and eDonkey

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/13/nsa-broke-the-encryption-on-file-sharing-apps-kazaa-and-edonkey/

wake up people we are all being watched for a longtime there everywhere they even watch BitTorrent if somebody in the government downloads off p2p at work and you're seeding the file the NSA  is spying on you too make sure government computers dont get infected  with spyware . ( Operation GRIMPLATE)

9 hours ago, steven36 said:

If you work for Kaspersky  in the USA  always Feds  are watching everything you do I would not want  a job there .

On 9/12/2017 at 6:23 PM, steven36 said:

Everybody know Bestbuy  work with the feds  and the fbi has spooked  them

On 9/12/2017 at 8:56 PM, steven36 said:

Walmart is everywhere its a 100 times bigger than bestbuy  there the most richest company in the USA they also have Kaspersky.  

On 9/12/2017 at 1:58 PM, 0bin said:

Everyone in security field know that Kaspersky is good.

On 9/12/2017 at 8:56 PM, steven36 said:

It's amazing how some still live in the 90s and buy software in stores 

Where do you get your information? Do you pull it out of your butt?  You make a lot of accusations without any proof.  And for your information Walmart will be pulling Kaspersky later this year.  I love Best Buy, I have been a Platinum Club Member for years because they give me a nice discount, have a large selection of products, and good service.  Whereas Walmart has very little on the shelves (try buying an SSD or internal hard drive, they don't carry them in stock), their clerks are not trained in tech (any idiot off the street can work in their electronics department), and their products are over priced and outdated long before they hit the shelves.  Russia is welcome to stop using U.S. software, such as Windows.  They could ban Windows and everyone could start using Linux, but that will never happen, will it?

Where is the proof that Best Buy works with the Feds?  Actually, by law, any tech person who works on computers is required to report any suspicious activity that is uncovered on a computer during any type of service.  Failure to do so could result in the tech being jailed.  So all tech support companies have reported incidents of piracy, pedophilia, fraud, etc to law enforcement, not just Best Buy.

Everyone in the security field knows there is no way that a valid security audit could be done on software that is constantly updated.  When a security audit of software is done there are no updates allowed until an audit of the updates can be accomplished.  Therefore, it is not practical to even try and do an audit on AV software that is updated several times a day.  That is what people in the security field know.

Best Buy sells very little software, actually less than Walmart, because nobody buys software in stores.  If they did their would still be Egghead stores in every town.  If you never stood in line for three hours at an Egghead store (like I did at the store on Lombard St in San Francisco in 1992 to buy Windows 3.1) you don't really have an appreciation for buying software online.  Even mail order was better than standing in line.

3 hours ago, straycat19 said:

Where do you get your information? Do you pull it out of your butt?  You make a lot of accusations without any proof.

Well you must read not the news very often ? The EFF is were i got it from

Why We're Suing the FBI for Records About Best Buy Geek Squad Informants

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/02/FBI-tries-to-bypass-Fourth-Amendment-Safeguards-by-using-Geek-Squad

FBI Used Best Buy's Geek Squad To Increase Secret Public Surveillance

http://www.ocweekly.com/news/fbi-used-best-buys-geek-squad-to-increase-secret-public-surveillance-7950030

Report: Court Documents Show FBI Used Best Buy ‘Geek Squad’ to Gather Evidence

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/03/10/report-court-documents-show-fbi-used-best-buy-geek-squad-to-gather-evidence/

If a Best Buy technician is a paid FBI informant, are his computer searches legal?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/if-a-best-buy-technician-is-a-paid-fbi-informant-are-his-computer-searches-legal/2017/01/09/f56028b4-d442-11e6-9cb0-54ab630851e8_story.html

I purchased a laptop from Best Buy in 2012, and Kaspersky was installed on it. Geek Squad auto-renews my Kaspersky anti-virus anually. I just read that Best Buy will no longer sell Kaspersky. Can I bring my laptop in and have Kaspersky removed from my laptop and replaced with a comparable software? If so, will you refund a pro-rated portion of the most recent auto-renewal?

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Other-Customer-Service-Support/What-will-Best-Buy-do-for-Geek-Squad-customers-who-autorenew/td-p/1075099

And they do sell software ,computers  , Phones etc. When I read about it on another site were Bestbuy stop selling kaspersky no one cared they did they was all talking about how they will match Amazons price  on anything Amazon sells at BestBuy and  how Walmart wont do it anymore . All they was worried about is getting stuff cheap. Thing is were  i live i can order it from Amazon prime  and have in a day or 2 i would have go  long ways off  too get too a BestBuy so i would be losing money in gas and time fooling with  them . People who live near it can go there and  get stuff cheaper than Walmart  if they live close too it.

Kaspersky makes some of the world’s leading security products, but this doesn’t seem to help the Russian vendor in the United States, where the government accused the company of hiding backdoors into its software to help Russia spy on high-profile users.

US retailer Best Buy is the latest big name that decided to ban the sale of Kaspersky products due to these concerns, pulling all software solutions developed by the Russian firm from its stores and the website.

A company spokesperson was quoted as saying that the whole Kaspersky saga currently includes what they describe as “too many unanswered questions,” with no other specifics offered.

The whole dispute started in July, when the US government decided to remove Kaspersky from the approved software list, explaining that it’s concerned the firm could collaborate with Russian on spying users.

“Beyond the evidence of direct links between [Eugene] Kaspersky and the Russian government, we cannot ignore the indirect links inherent in doing business in the Russia of President Vladimir Putin, where oligarchs and tycoons have no choice but to cooperate with the Kremlin,” she explained.

Personally not a Kaspersky User — however from past experience, do admit to having the highest of regards for their products.

Nowhere in the original article did I find any evidence to corroborate the accusations — can't speak for the citizens of the US of A, but had my own country called for a boycott on Kaspersky, I would've asked our politicians to just fuck-off and stop inserting their filthy penises into my preferred choice of security.

39 minutes ago, knowledge said:

seems Linux  have a little problem  and windows with bluetooth

author2163c1c877196605b3b262f93577e491?s=13&d=Ben Seri <[email protected]>2017-09-09 23:15:59 +0200 committerfb47627bc8c0bcdb36321edfbf02e916?s=13&d=Linus Torvalds <[email protected]>2017-09-09 17:56:05 -0700 commite860d2c904d1a9f38a24eb44c9f34b8f915a6ea3 (patch) treeec7c665df89fb1e72b735a7ac326d2ded6eeaaa2 parent4dfc2788033d30dfccfd4268e06dd73ce2c654ed (diff)downloadlinux-e860d2c904d1a9f38a24eb44c9f34b8f915a6ea3.tar.gz

Bluetooth: Properly check L2CAP config option output buffer length
Validate the output buffer length for L2CAP config requests and responses to avoid overflowing the stack buffer used for building the option blocks. Cc: [email protected] Signed-off-by: Ben Seri <[email protected]> Signed-off-by: Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <[email protected]>

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=e860d2c904d1a9f38a24eb44c9f34b8f915a6ea3

They already working  on patches for this in Linux its not just a Linux problem it effects all OS even Windows . Windows and Android  will have this vulnerability  long after its patched on Linux Desktop they always patch things as soon as they find out about it.

On a purely technical note, would also like to add a reminder about Kaspersky's capabilities:—

On 6/17/2014 at 2:09 PM, dcs18 said:

"Compilation Of Tutorials, Guides, Tips & Updates"

(The Playground where ordinary men & women dared to achieve the extraordinary)

"Preventing IDM From Dialing Home"

(monitor post 2 for all updates)

ATM, the Firewall Method works only, with the COMODO & Kaspersky

Solution for Users of other firewalls is coming soon  keep watching this space!

22 minutes ago, 0bin said:

Who said the Cold War was over? Kaspersky security software removed by US government

Are you shocked  by this ?  The Cold War Never Ended  November 2009

http://reason.com/archives/2009/10/21/the-cold-war-never-ended

The crazy thing  is  all BS aside most people are like straycat and side with the government over stuff like this in the USA  and I doubt  Kaspersky will sell good in USA  again if you read topics on sites were there is many people from the USA you will see proof of this.

18 minutes ago, 0bin said:

No. Is lie. :P

The Trump administration are the ones that  ban it 

http://www.businessinsider.com/kaspersky-is-being-banned-across-the-us-government-by-trump-2017-9

The CIA ,FBI ,NSA  and the Military stop using it a decade ago . Ive not used it since v8 and I told you my reasons  for not using it and it didn't have nothing do with the Government I dont have no info that the Russian Government would want so i could care less I been downloading from Russian warez sites  as long as i been a member here.   :D

Americans are funny when they are scared.

And DO NOT forget the Prism scandal.

Archived