Jump to content

Welcome to nsane.forums

Welcome to nsane.forums, like most online communities you need to register to view parts of our community or to make contributions, but don't worry: this is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of nsane.forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Access special members only forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates

 

Please note: Unfortunetely due to some server side issues, registration via Hotmail / Outlook email addresses do not work, members are requested to use some other email addresses like Gmail to register here.


Sign in to follow this  
sscsr1

Media Server

Recommended Posts

sscsr1    11
sscsr1

I have been watching media on a wd live plus media player, external hdd, and my 42 flat screen tv ( not smart tv, no wifi). I am looking to try and get something better going. I cannot afford to get a new tv but I have been looking into plex. I have been watching videos on plex and I like the way it looks and I think I might be able to figure out how to operate it simple minded as I am. I have been seeing some stuff about building a server to run my media from and think that might be a good idea as others in the house like to stream my stuff when they can connect. The thing is, I have no idea how to build a server or even if it is a good idea. And even if I do build one ( to which I will need step by step instructions for sure) I will probably still have to use the wd player to get it on my old tv unless there is another way I am not aware of. That is why I am posting this. You guys know the best ways to do this stuff and all the do's and don'ts. I would like suggestions on how to build a good cheap server ( will be used just to play movies, music, pics as far as I know). I think I want to use plex unless there is a better option. I don't have much in the funding area maybe $200.00 right now. This might take me a while but I would like to get started or at least see what I am getting into as far as parts and money stuff. My main system is a Dell xps 8500 i7-3770 16 gigs ram. I think I could probably run plex from this but what's the difference between doing that and just doing a cast to device in windows. I would rather have something dedicated to doing just the media stuff and keep my system free for other things. Thanks for any suggestions. Sorry didn't mean to write a book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DKT27    6,698
DKT27
21 hours ago, sscsr1 said:

I have been watching media on a wd live plus media player, external hdd, and my 42 flat screen tv ( not smart tv, no wifi). I am looking to try and get something better going. I cannot afford to get a new tv but I have been looking into plex. I have been watching videos on plex and I like the way it looks and I think I might be able to figure out how to operate it simple minded as I am. I have been seeing some stuff about building a server to run my media from and think that might be a good idea as others in the house like to stream my stuff when they can connect. The thing is, I have no idea how to build a server or even if it is a good idea. And even if I do build one ( to which I will need step by step instructions for sure) I will probably still have to use the wd player to get it on my old tv unless there is another way I am not aware of. That is why I am posting this. You guys know the best ways to do this stuff and all the do's and don'ts. I would like suggestions on how to build a good cheap server ( will be used just to play movies, music, pics as far as I know). I think I want to use plex unless there is a better option. I don't have much in the funding area maybe $200.00 right now. This might take me a while but I would like to get started or at least see what I am getting into as far as parts and money stuff. My main system is a Dell xps 8500 i7-3770 16 gigs ram. I think I could probably run plex from this but what's the difference between doing that and just doing a cast to device in windows. I would rather have something dedicated to doing just the media stuff and keep my system free for other things. Thanks for any suggestions. Sorry didn't mean to write a book.

 

Hello.

 

The software you have mentioned itself is a media server. Download the media server from here.

 

Here is the guide for it. Here are more guides.

 

For your TV, as you do not have one with WiFi, you need to buy something like Google Chromecast - costs $35 or Amazon TV stick - costs $39. Both are excellent devices that you need to plug into your TV's HDMI port, they make your normal TV into a smart TV. You can also buy a Android TV box which give more storage options and rather than just streaming, they allow one to insert other devices in different ports, but they have their own issues like they are either outdated or of not great quality or cost more.

 

While I have personally never tried any sticks, this is what many people are doing out there with their normal TVs, using them to convert the TV into a smart TV.

 

Then comes the streaming part, here is an guide on how to do it. Basically, what you are doing is that you are using your wireless router, connected to your PC, as a method / media to connect to other devices you have. With your wireless router, you are able to stream files which are on your PC, without needing any internet and such.

 

This is what I can help you now with my limited knowledge in all this, if someone else can help you further then it will be nice from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sscsr1    11
sscsr1

Thanks for the reply @DKT27 I will be sure to look into these links. I was thinking I had to build something to store all my media on so it would be accessible to others on my home network and keep my pc free for my use. I had heard about the android box but haven't looked into that yet. Sounds like it may obsolete like the WD player I am using now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DKT27    6,698
DKT27
1 hour ago, sscsr1 said:

Thanks for the reply @DKT27 I will be sure to look into these links. I was thinking I had to build something to store all my media on so it would be accessible to others on my home network and keep my pc free for my use. I had heard about the android box but haven't looked into that yet. Sounds like it may obsolete like the WD player I am using now.

 

I see. I probably did not get that part that you actually want a media server hardware, I'm not an expert in those. For that you can look into NAS servers. I believe people use something like this - the cheapest and most famous one I can find.

 

But, I for one would rather prefer to stream things from my computer as I do not have to duplicate things and have more control over it. Some people even attach a HDD with their router's USB port, effectively making the router an NAS itself - but it has it's own flaws like lack of features.

 

Personally, I prefer to not have any media server. Instead, I steam by using SMB protocol in-built into the OS from my PC here.

 

About Android TV, yes, you got it right. But it's highly used here, but not for sending files but for viewing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sscsr1    11
sscsr1
13 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

try this  LINUX based media server setup:

http://www.havetheknowhow.com/

 

Software costs for PLEX can be a bitch.. so a freeOS option may be better 

 

Thanks for the link. I will look into this however I don't know LINUX at all really.  I have ubuntu running on a Virtualbox here on my pc because I wanted to see how it works but to tell the truth I really haven't messed with it much. I was planning on using win7 pro as the os because I already have that. I also have a optiplex gx620 I was thinking of using but I don't think it's powerful enough, 32 bit os and usb 2.0 ports and all. I was wanting better than that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teodz1984    523
teodz1984

It all depends on what media you are playing ...

If you want to play recent 4k and HEVC coded movies, you need something more powerful. Just google spec for recent HTPC specs..

Then beef up the storage capacity..

 

As the blgger posted in his website , he also has limited LINUX knowledge, so you'd do fine...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sscsr1    11
sscsr1
On 9/13/2017 at 9:20 PM, teodz1984 said:

It all depends on what media you are playing ...

If you want to play recent 4k and HEVC coded movies, you need something more powerful. Just google spec for recent HTPC specs..

Then beef up the storage capacity..

 

As the blgger posted in his website , he also has limited LINUX knowledge, so you'd do fine...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nothing as fancy as 4k stuff, just blu ray at 720p about 2 gigs or less mp4 mostly. I don't go for the real high quality stuff I am more interested in good quality while taking up least amount of space when it comes to the media. I just don't think that extra computer will do it very well and was looking for another way. Thought a server of some kind dedicated to just that might be a good idea. But like I said I don't know what I am doing so I do really appreciate the replies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×