Equifax Link for Check and Free Security

straycat19

ADMINS/MODS --  PLEASE DON'T COMBINE THIS WITH PREVIOUS POSTS OR SOMEONE MIGHT MISS IT.

Equifax has provided a webpage to check your information on and see if you are part of the 143 million.  It requires you to enter your last name and the last 6 digits of your ssan.  If you are they will give you a date to go to another link and enroll in free credit security for one year.  To start scroll down to the red ENROLL button, input your data, and if you are part of it continue to get your enrollment date.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ballistic Gelatin

A lawsuit has just been filed against the company:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/class_action_is_filed_over_equifax_data_breach_information_website_has_arbi

Thread moved from security and privacy news...Fits better here...Also taken into account this Thread..

7 hours ago, 0bin said:

I prefer Telegram Bot to know if I have been pwned.

I have several sites I check frequently, but in this case they are offering free protection for a year if you go through their site.  Besides that I checked several of the have you been pwned sites and they all say no, but Equifax said yes; my  data, my wife's data, my daughter's and my son-in-law's were all in the 143 million.  They give you a date you can't apply before, I got early ones for next monday, but my daughter whom I notified about 30 minutes later received hers for the middle of October.  The longer you wait the longer before you can apply and get the protection.  

Ballistic Gelatin

You know, I would really think twice before enrolling for credit monitoring, et al, with a company that couldn't keep consumer information safe in the first place. I've decided to cancel my enrollment and just initiate a freeze.

And then there is the issue of several of their managerial employees unloading stock just before the breach was announced.

Smell something here? I sure as hell do.  :shit:

6 hours ago, slackhead said:

WARNING EVERONE:

Equifax are using this to shaft people - you will lose your right to partake in the class action suit if you enter your details in their search page:

News! You have already been shafted by the hackers!  And what do you think people are going to get by not enrolling in their credit monitoring?  Historically these lawsuits end up by providing the people....yep, free credit monitoring!  Freezing you account is an option, however there are a hundred reasons why you shouldn't freeze an account, the biggest one is the freeze only applies to anyone who hasn't had previous access to your account, not including current credit holders or their collection agencies, law enforcement, or anyone who obtains a subpoena for your credit records.  It costs to freeze an account and if you need to unfreeze it to apply for a loan, a job, etc, then you have to pay to have that done plus pay to refreeze it.  Each of those actions take 5-7 days to apply.  And there isn't just one credit reporting agency, there are 3 so you have to do it for all three.  As cheap as people are here who won't pay for software, I don't see them shelling out money to pay to freeze/unfreeze their accounts.

Of course you could always enroll in Lifelock and for a monthly fee they will monitor all 3 agencies for you.

But if you have ever known anyone who has had their identity stolen and used to buy houses, cars, yachts, etc  (I personally know 2 people that have) and who were sued for non payment, had their credit destroyed, had liens put against their homes, and one even lost her job because of it,  then the free credit monitoring is well worth not having to go through that hassle for years.  The options are yours, just weigh the possible outcomes.

17 hours ago, Ballistic Gelatin said:

You know, I would really think twice before enrolling for credit monitoring, et al

A while back I wasn't sure if I had made a monthly payment on my credit card. So I called my bank to make sure while mentioning that I wouldn't want my credit score to suffer.

The person I was talking to told me I had nothing to worry about. My credit was very good. ;)

Ballistic Gelatin

If you are already pre-registered with Credit Karma, they are also offering free credit monitoring in wake of the Equifax debacle.

Archived