nsane.forums
Sign in to follow this  
DKT27

Future Hard Drives Will be Made of Glass

JimmySvert

Don't know about u guys, but won't glass platters be more fragile? Won't read heads easily 'cause scratches or damage to it?

At first i thought the article was about HDDs that will be made the same way like in Minority Report movie (a tablet / plate of glass will be an HDD - i know it's still a piece of glass, but it's still enough hard, ain't it? :P).

pc71520
On 18/9/2017 at 0:36 PM, JimmySvert said:

won't glass platters be more fragile?

Must be something else...;)

Edited by pc71520

BEngEE

yeah, don't drop kick one :P

DKT27
23 hours ago, JimmySvert said:

Don't know about u guys, but won't glass platters be more fragile? Won't read heads easily 'cause scratches or damage to it?

At first i thought the article was about HDDs that will be made the same way like in Minority Report movie (a tablet / plate of glass will be an HDD - i know it's still a piece of glass, but it's still enough hard, ain't it? :P).

As jogs mentioned, the article says that one, it's already being used in laptop HDDs and two, the article says that it will be more tougher, smoother and better than aluminum - which the article suggests is being used currently.

Still, the scratches is very much an valid question, are they going to use a treated one which is found in phone's displays or just normal ones out there.

JimmySvert
40 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

As jogs mentioned, the article says that one, it's already being used in laptop HDDs and two, the article says that it will be more tougher, smoother and better than aluminum - which the article suggests is being used currently.

Still, the scratches is very much an valid question, are they going to use a treated one which is found in phone's displays or just normal ones out there.

hope glass will help with hdd durability & longevity too...

Jogs

If they use plexiglass then it will become virtually unbreakable although plexiglass may not work as its more of a plastic than real glass.

BEngEE

Jokes aside, anyone remember when CDs were marketed as indestructible - those con-artists need a good slap - of course, these days, it is easy to see how that cannot be the case, but back then, when only vinyl and tape existed, only a few knew how frail they and the players really were.