Intel discontinues Skylake CPUs

DKT27

• Administrator

When one life ends, another begins as Intel announced the end of life dates for its 6th generation line of processors in the wake of the impending Coffee Lake arrival. The Core i7-6700K, i5-6600K, i5-620P, and i3-6098P CPUs are all being discontinued, with the last shipments taking place a year from now.

Intel announced that the Skylake lineup has now entered “product discontinuance programme support,” which marks the final year of the chip’s shelf life.

The CPUs will still be purchasable for a while yet, as retailers and OEMs will place final orders this December, while orders and deliveries after March 2018 will not be covered for cancellation or returns. The absolute last shipments of the chips are expected in September next year.

Xp9Gh1H.jpg

Continuing on from Skylake is the upcoming 8th generation Coffee Lake processors, which acts as a Kaby Lake refresh as well as something that seems like a legacy series, titled Skylake-X. These new Core X series of processors, including the Kaby Lake-X, are squarely aimed at enthusiasts. This includes content creators and even gamers who “can have fast image rendering, video encoding, audio production and real-time preview – all running in parallel seamlessly so they spend less time waiting and more time creating”.

Remembering Skylake, it was the first line of processors to offer support for DDR4 memory back in 2015. It launched for a high price but eventually found its footing in the consumer market namely due to the lack of competition at the time.

:view:View: Original Article

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Those not remembering the importance of this. Remember, this is the last generation of CPUs to support the previous versions of the OSes out there.

15 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

this is the last generation of CPUs to support the previous versions of the OSes out there.

Exactly what I was thinking. Microsoft must have been impatient to retire these CPUs to better push their shitty Win 10

On 9/8/2017 at 4:14 AM, pc71520 said:

No problem...:coolwink:

Oh, but there is a problem. If you have a Ryzen CPU and an older Os then you won't get any updates from Microsoft unless you have the unofficial patch.

While it lasts that is.

10 hours ago, lurch234 said:

Oh, but there is a problem.

If you have a Ryzen CPU and an older Os then you won't get any updates from Microsoft unless you have the unofficial patch.

I'm running Windows 10.

As I wrote, there is NO problem. :coolwink:

11 hours ago, lurch234 said:

Oh, but there is a problem. If you have a Ryzen CPU and an older Os then you won't get any updates from Microsoft unless you have the unofficial patch.

While it lasts that is.

One day in the future they will be a problem ruining newer  Windows on Skylake too when you cant get no more drivers for it. anymore. Pentium 4 they stop making these in 2008  and there still a lot of them still in use with Linux and XP . It dont matter that they stop making Skylake  if you use old  windows there is 100s of chips around that work on old windows its just like they said you cant buy Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs  still  it's not true they have them for sale online and shops still have these PCs  and hardware in stock you can still buy old new hardware  if you know were too look. you can still buy  a intel pentium 4 3.2 new from amazon ,or newegg new  lol.

Microsoft cant stop vendors from selling hardware they already have in stock because there is Linux and Mac OS  too . Only thing Microsoft can do is ban old hardware from working on newer windows when the vendor  no longer makes drivers  and  they can ban new hardware on old windows  because  you dont really dont own windows updates they do .  Lol  Windows PCs havent sold good since Windows 7  so they will  be skylake chips around for years too come. And it would make no sense  too buy  them all up if Windows PCs ever start selling again around 2019  or 2020 because they want make them anymore.

It's not all Microsoft  no how  when old hardware stops working on windows because of upgrades  it's the vendors fault for dropping support for it on Windows because they want too sell new PCs  too the masses  . I have a old AMD  Rig here that came with Windows 8  and it stop getting any new drivers for Windows  after TH2  was released but  were Linux has open source drivers AMD now it's supported for Linux and drivers are updated same with Intel open source Linux drivers. Windows 10 so far has worked  with TH2  drivers even in RS2 but i doubt they will work for much longer  but I just put in  Windows 8.1 and dual booting with Linux and i dont care if they blacklist old AMD cards  soon for newer Windows 10. Windows 10 is not something I have too have or really want or id be on it now . :lol:

Archived