Microsoft persuades customers to upgrade to Windows 10, citing increasing security threats

Matsuda

1486402025962.jpg

For the past few months, Microsoft has been touting the security features available to customers using Windows 10, especially with the increase in ransomware attacks. It even vowed to raise the bar for security with the upcoming Fall Creators Update.

Now, the company has published yet another blog post persuading customers to upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10, citing increasing security threats.

Microsoft explains that it previously used to release major Windows updates once every few years because only a few exploits existed at the time, mainly Stack overrun, Return Address Corruption, and Shell Code.

However, the scenario is very different nowadays, with new security threats and exploitation techniques popping up frequently.

Some of these include Sandbox bypass, Heapspray, ASLR bypass, and ROP Shellcode. As a result, Microsoft has transitioned to the Windows as a Service (WaaS) model where updates are released every six months to offer new features and combat security threats.

Microsoft has also detailed the various threat mitigation techniques utilized in Windows 10 that are enabled by default, regardless of the Windows 10 edition being utilized. These include Heap and Kernel pool protections, Win32k Syscall filtering, Less Privileged App Container (LPAC), and Control Flow Guard.

Pic1.png

The company notes that Universal Windows apps, and even Classic (Win32) applications downloaded from the Windows Store, boast their own protection systems.

Microsoft explains that it is "highly unlikely" that customers encounter malware when utilizing these apps, because software submitted to the Windows Store goes through a meticulous screening process befoe being made publicly available.

Microsoft states that the main reasons for implementing threat mitigation techniques in Windows 10 are as follows:

• Reducing the attack surface of Windows Platform
  • Takes soft target out of the picture
  • Eliminates existing exploitation techniques so that new techniques need to be found.
  • Reducing impact of vulnerability by isolation.
  • Make overall exploitation harder and expensive

The company explains that all these reasons make it essential to upgrade to Windows 10, which will keep you safer from modern security threats as compared to older operating systems.

Source

• Replies 6
  • Views 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, banned said:

Microsoft "Your security are belong to us." Lulz

More like  they feed on peoples fears  when every one knows  windows  has the most malware and viruses .. They use too use the excuse Windows has more viruses  and malware than any other OS because they had more people but that excuse is dead with android having more users than windows now and still windows has more malware .  And with all the privacy issues in Windows I'm starting too wonder  is it much better than android  privacy wise as well . All  they care about is selling  you on Windows 10 it's all marketing  and i went out of my way too get the key out  of my bios so i could put the windows that came on my PC  back in  it.  Microsoft are not going  too try too keep old hardware compatible  with windows 10 it upgrades too much for it too even be possible  .

And for those who were surprised by how many Windows 7 machines were "victims" of the recent ransomware attack ( Coincidences do not exist!!! ), there are more surprises to come!!! :yes:

At least while this OS is a stone in the eye of the "best operating system ever created"!!!

are the sales really that bad that they've resorted to employing scare tactics? :tehe:

I think everyone knows I am a security nerd.  I don't run Windows Defender, I don't run AV or anti-malware software, nothing, and I have not had any virus, malware, ransomware, or anything else infect my systems.  And above all, I don't run Windows 10 (and I get it free if I want it). The fact that people do stupid things with Windows is nothing new because Microsoft has made it so easy to use that any idiot in the world can use a computer now.  So how is it surprising that it is the most vulnerable software in the world.  Windows 10 isn't any better, Microsoft's track record speaks for itself, since they can't even fix the vulnerabilities in the system sometimes and often create more vulnerabilities with their fixes.  If a company can't secure a single operating system in 36 years what makes people think that Windows 10 is going to be the 'Perfect Operating System'.  There is a reason that Microsoft use to (maybe they still do and just aren't saying) name their beta software after bars in the Redmond area.  Drunks creating software.  Maybe they have moved up to drugs so the betas are now referred to as meth, oxycodone, ruffies, etc.  Sure seams likely after seeing some of the coding problems in Windows 10.  Either that or they are hiring 6th graders to do their coding now.

Archived