Forum Upgrade Bugs

Lite

3 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

Agreed. That too is part of it, especially in this case. But number of pages too add load to the server. Big topics need to be closed sooner or later and replaced by another here.

Are you using APC, Memcached, Redis, Wincache, or XCache? What are the DB size and average daily page view?

• Replies 658
  • Views 60.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DKT27 said:
18 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

It's not the "number of pages" per se in a topic, that breaks a IPB forum — but rather, the "weight of media" (such as images, videos and other attachments.)

Agreed. That too is part of it, especially in this case. But number of pages too add load to the server. Big topics need to be closed sooner or later and replaced by another here.

Yep, quite true — which is why I included the . . . . per se.

I also wholeheartedly agree that big topics do need to be split — an important (but generally overlooked) aspect of that exercise is, to have a brief discussion with the OP of such topics before the deed. This is not about permission or ego — it's merely about ensuring that the contents of the first 2 posts on the respective split topics would continue to deliver value-addition to the community.

• Administrator
58 minutes ago, sixoclock said:

Are you using APC, Memcached, Redis, Wincache, or XCache? What are the DB size and average daily page view?

While I know only some of it. I am afraid you will need to ask Lite or shought about all this. I for one am just an forum administrator who is looking after the forums. Server is Lite and shought's lookout. Only thing I can say is that big topics do slow the forums and it is quite visible.

49 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Yep, quite true — which is why I included the . . . . per se.

I also wholeheartedly agree that big topics do need to be split — an important (but generally overlooked) aspect of that exercise is, to have a brief discussion with the OP of such topics before the deed. This is not about permission or ego — it's merely about ensuring that the contents of the first 2 posts on the respective split topics would continue to deliver value-addition to the community.

Agreed. But in some specific cases when urgency is required its not possible to do so. Especially in cases where the topic starter has not come on forums from months if not more. But, as for non-urgent ones, I agree, the topic authors are best alerter or contacted first.

Also, splitting is not possible, a new topic is always required here.

8 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

While I know only some of it. I am afraid you will need to ask Lite or shought about all this. I for one am just an forum administrator who is looking after the forums. Server is Lite and shought's lookout. Only thing I can say is that big topics do slow the forums and it is quite visible.

Thanks and :hug: and a cupcake for you! The reason I asked is because you can tweak the cache based on the DB size and media size per thread to prevent slow down. Also, instead of setting max page/post per thread, I would recommend setting it based on total media size per thread because if a thread contains a lot of media, it will most likely hit the wall before it reaches the max number of pages/posts.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, sixoclock said:

Thanks and :hug: and a cupcake for you! The reason I asked is because you can tweak the cache based on the DB size and media size per thread to prevent slow down. Also, instead of setting max page/post per thread, I would recommend setting it based on total media size per thread because if a thread contains a lot of media, it will most likely hit the wall before it reaches the max number of pages/posts.

Again, server is Lite / shoughts lookout. I cannot comment much on that. I would still like to know how you know all this though.

Media is actually fetched when a person opens the topic. So I do not know if it can harm the server. Even if there are any chances, I think limit of 50 pages would be required here.

24 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

Again, server is Lite / shoughts lookout. I cannot comment much on that.

Are both of them on vacation? I have not seen them since I joined the forum.

27 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

I would still like to know how you know all this though

I read while playing Final Countdown with my new friends at the countdown thread :P

29 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

Media is actually fetched when a person opens the topic. So I do not know if it can harm the server. Even if there are any chances, I think limit of 50 pages would be required here.

50 is a good starting point. I am surprised IPB does not allow topic splitting. The user also can't set the number of posts shown per page because the developers don't want to use the st variable for pagination :(

compgen1534
18 minutes ago, sixoclock said:

Are both of them on vacation? I have not seen them since I joined the forum.

I read while playing Final Countdown with my new friends at the countdown thread :P

50 is a good starting point. I am surprised IPB does not allow topic splitting. The user also can't set the number of posts shown per page because the developers don't want to use the st variable for pagination :(

surprised you know all this shit and you've only been here a month :wtf:

1 hour ago, compgen1534 said:

surprised you know all this shit and you've only been here a month :wtf:

LOL  that don't mean jack  for all you know sixoclock could of been a mod or admin are even a owner of another forum that uses IPB. I join here  in 2007 and i found out  about this forum from one of the members at another forum  that used IPB aswell . theres all kinds of forums that use it .

compgen1534
Just now, steven36 said:

LOL  that don't mean jack  for all you know sixoclock could of been a mod or admin are even a owner of another forum that uses IPB. I join here  in 2007 and i found out  about this forum from one of the members at another forum  that used IPB aswell . theres all kinds of forums that use it .

ok and then why did he say he hasn't gotten spanked by DKT for a month and then liking Mona's baby pics the day after he registered. 

Regards

6 minutes ago, compgen1534 said:

ok and then why did he say he hasn't gotten spanked by DKT for a month and then liking Mona's baby pics the day after he registered. 

Regards

Stop trying to  mini mod ,  even if this guy is a banned one who came back,  its none of our business as members , thats the staffs job and if they really enforced this in all cases there is a slew of vets  and vips that  needs  to go too. Let them make that judgment call.

compgen1534
Just now, steven36 said:

Stop trying to  mini mod ,  even if this guy is a banned one he came back its none of our business as members , thats the staffs job and if they really enforced this in all cases there is a slew of vets  and vips needs  to go too. Let them make that judgment call.

disagree, I'm the target of harassment, along with mona, for your information, and that's not mini-modding.

It's called being tired of hearing the same shit for months on end. If I want to call out someone for being 100% suspicious I have the right to do it. 

Regards

9 minutes ago, compgen1534 said:

disagree, I'm the target of harassment, along with mona, for your information, and that's not mini-modding.

It's called being tired of hearing the same shit for months on end. If I want to call out someone for being 100% suspicious I have the right to do it. 

Regards

I was harassed for years by people on this forum and im still here , my problems started before you was even a member even  , because i listen to the admins and mods when they told me not to let them get me down. They have no control over you only the staff  have this kind of power just ignore them.

12 minutes ago, 0bin said:

I was threat of being killed on this forum 2 times, no one of the staff said anything, except the author changing his name to something else...

:rofl:

I pardon him, I know he was upset for other reasons, and not really upset with me. 

you dont know what the staff said to this member , You  cant see what goes on in PM none of us can  unless it's happening  to you . Because  it's none of  our business as a member of how they handle other members behavior problems, and its not a open board issue . I don't like seeing no one getting banned regardless if i had problems with them or not  , because  it  dont really solve the problem  . But sometimes the staff have no choice.

15 minutes ago, 0bin said:

From that day, my semi-automatic Glock, is always with me, in case I will receive a visit...

:naughty:

450px-Glock17.jpg

I was in that post when this happen and I know what you're talking about but that guy has been member here for years and i never seen him act that way before and i never seen him act like that again . Are you that paranoid, that you think people are going go 1000s of miles to harm you ? You would had a heart attack  if you would been around before the Internet when we used CB Radio and everyone you talked too mostly  was local and they really pulled up in you're driveway . You people today think you have problems on the Internet you don't know nothing about problems .:tooth:

All i want to say  this topic is forum upgrade bugs , Its not good to talk about board problems in the open board . I suggest  you pm a mod or admin or use report  if have you  issues  and stop making you're problems other peoples problems ,because this only make you're problems worse  when the person who you have problems with sees it and  from my own  experience at another board you could make a staff member upset and they  may want to ban you for not coming to them about you're problems. And i also suggest to stop pointing fingers at every new member that join  and wants to contribute  to the community with out new members this forum will surely die. 

Well  when i see bad things going on in these topics it really depresses me , all the members complaining about other members behavior problems  and it just makes me want go to some other site tell it all blows over . And if i fell this way , how do you think the new guy must fell  that just joined? Hes most likely to leave and never come back after he sees  all these problems . lets try to be happy and get along and if someone refuses to play nice  report them to a mod .

https://s7d8.turboimg.net/sp/8201f35ce45a6419a7128ebaac664b7a/ban-em-all-let-god-sort-em-out-25122433.png

My reputation system is messed up.

If you see the 3rd page of my reactions to posts, it shows that I reacted 23hrs ago at 7:05 a.m. on 6th April 2018. As per the time of posting this message, that is more than 36hrs past -7:05 p.m on 7th April 2018.

I cannot react to any posts as a result.

knowledge-Spammer
1 hour ago, Undertaker said:

If you see the 3rd page of my reactions to posts, it shows that I reacted 23hrs ago at 7:05 a.m. on 6th April 2018. As per the time of posting this message, that is more than 36hrs past -7:05 p.m on 7th April 2018.

all times i have problems with your posts and things   and its more with posts from u then more people  ?

15 hours ago, Undertaker said:

It seems the timing of forum is somewhat off, the reactions are back :think:

Would be worth taking a look though.

On 1/28/2018 at 12:28 PM, Undertaker said:

@WALLONN7 @mona

You guys might want to take the help of Image code:-

[img=your_image_link_here]

or

[ img ]your_image_link_here[ /img ] 
^^Delete space while applying code.

Is this a joke or do you explain how this (bbCode) is related to posting pictures in this forum, I mean in IPS 4.2.x?

• 1 month later...
Undertaker

Can't find the provision/option to delete one's all the post on the site like the one CrazyCanuk used some days ago? Where is it? Can you link me up where it exists in the profile settings?

4 minutes ago, Undertaker said:

Can't find the provision/option to delete one's all the post on the site like the one CrazyCanuk used some days ago? Where is it? Can you link me up where it exists in the profile settings?

I don't think normal users have access to that. 

knowledge-Spammer

maybe u can help me if and when have free time

it seems someone have removed  my cover photo   have been removed ?
i try and add one back but i cant  but if right click and view image u can see  one i try and added but it seems i cant make it work right  i mean seems a bug i think

yIOA3l3.png

but  help fix that for me thanks

how this can have happened i am unsure  y it was removed and who removed it  but now i cant add cover?

• Administrator
1 hour ago, knowledge said:

maybe u can help me if and when have free time

it seems someone have removed  my cover photo   have been removed ?
i try and add one back but i cant  but if right click and view image u can see  one i try and added but it seems i cant make it work right  i mean seems a bug i think

yIOA3l3.png

but  help fix that for me thanks

how this can have happened i am unsure  y it was removed and who removed it  but now i cant add cover?

Try cropping that image and re-uploading it.

knowledge-Spammer

is it right all users no have cover pics or just me cant see peoples cover pics ?

i looked at all

see

YiFKaII.png

but if right click and view image  i see all pics  y this have happened for  ?

cropping that image  will not fix that problem i have ?

Archived