FBI Pressures US Companies to Abandon Kaspersky Antivirus

tao

The agency claims Kaspersky be a “national security threat”

The dispute between the United States government and Russian security vendor Kaspersky continues, and after US authorities banned the company’s antivirus, the FBI is now briefing the private sector with a request to remove the security product from their systems.

The FBI wants US-based companies to abandon Kaspersky software, as it considers the company to represent a “threat to national security,” according to a report from CyberScoop.

The agency first started pressuring US firms to uninstall Kaspersky security products from their systems earlier this year on a priority basis, with the source revealing via current and former senior US officials familiar with the matter (who asked not to be named because of obvious reasons) that firms in the energy sector and those using industrial control (ICS) and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems being at the top of the list.

Companies in the energy sector are receiving particular attention from the FBI, as US authorities are concerned following the recent attacks that took down the electric grid in Ukraine and linked with Russian hacking groups.

Additionally, the FBI has already contacted US tech companies having ongoing deals with Kaspersky, especially if their products are aimed at American businesses and consumers.

The reason for the FBI’s push to get rid of Kaspersky’s software is the alleged tie with Russia. The agency claims many of the current employees of the security company are former Russian intelligence agents, and Russian laws could allow the government to control a local firm and use it to spy on other nations.

Kaspersky: We’re not working with any government

Kaspersky has already replied to all these claims, explaining that there are no ties not only with Russia, but with any other governments, and the company has even offered to testify before the US Congress and have its source code inspected for any possible malware or surveillance code.

“If these briefings are actually occurring, it’s extremely disappointing that a government agency would take such actions against a law-abiding and ethical company like Kaspersky Lab,” the company told the aforementioned source.

“The company doesn’t have inappropriate ties with any government, which is why no credible evidence has been presented publicly by anyone or any organization to back up the false allegations made against Kaspersky Lab. The only conclusion seems to be that Kaspersky Lab, a private company, is caught in the middle of a geopolitical fight, and it’s being treated unfairly, even though the company has never helped, nor will help, any government in the world with its cyber-espionage or offensive cyber efforts.”

At this point, however, tech giants are the companies that seem to be the least receptive to FBI’s demands, but the priority currently appears to be firms in the energy and nuclear industries.

< Here >

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Sylence said:

Lol a simple antivirus product can pose a national threat to U.S. LuL rip

Maybe FBI shall launch its own security solution for home users & industries. So they can easily SWAT the sh1t out of anybody they suspect to be a threat to national security...

VIKTOR PAVEL
38 minutes ago, Sylence said:

~Respect existence or expect resistance~

Expect us.

+1

Amen brother :)

knowledge-Spammer

mad  how people think about Kaspersky but then again its the best or one of them

44 minutes ago, knowledge said:

mad  how people think about Kaspersky but then again its the best or one of them

Cyberscoop are the ones who broke  this story but they have  no actual proof too show if the the FBI have been doing this are not . Story is 3 days old  and still  there is no actual document  or even any social media post  by any company  of them doing this  ..

nov4chip 38 points 2 days ago  

The ratio of upvotes between your post and the one above you makes me think about how many Reddit users actually investigate sources..

knowledge-Spammer
8 hours ago, steven36 said:

Cyberscoop are the ones who broke  this story but they have  no actual proof too show if the the FBI have been doing this are not . Story is 3 days old  and still  there is no actual document  or even any social media post  by any company  of them doing this  ..

no actual proof too show  this we see all the times never no proof

who is Cyberscoop ?

2 hours ago, knowledge said:

no actual proof too show  this we see all the times never no proof

who is Cyberscoop ?

They are the  website  that 1st posted  it  .. If  they had any real proof CBS , NBC and CNN  would be allover  it , but they dont even have a source so it's not a  credible news story. Why would the FBI be telling the private sector not too use Kaspesky  ? Sounds like something wrote from a spy novel back in the 1960s when J. Edgar Hoover was running the FBI .

If the Government thought Kaspersky was that big of a problem that it would effect the private sector they would pass a law too ban it all together like they ban Russian Vodka  and Russian Caviar along time ago .. They really dont need a reason too ban things from other countries,  they never have before just like Cuban Cigars are also illegal in the USA    :)

The problem  with this story  if it is not true  it scares most normal people in the USA and they could stop using MR. Kaspersky's products because they read this. He dont need no more bad publicity . They said the FBI  is telling them Kaspersky is making up fake malware  false positives based on this report from 2015

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-kaspersky-rivals-idUSKCN0QJ1CR20150814

They should not post stuff like this that is damaging too Kaspersky  with out any real sources .   Normal people would not know  no better .. If the FBI  told me this I'd tell them to get out of my  face because i don't  take advice from a Government agency who gave a  back-door demand too Apple. That is the pot calling the kettle black. They have laws in the USA  were you can take law enforcement  too court if they keep harassing  you without proper cause.  The police can stop you anytime,ask you anything and it's your right to say no. :P

“For the FBI, ‘quitting time’ means quitting. After 5 o’clock, you’re good; you can do whatever you want, party in the streets naked on LSD, and they won’t notice a thing.”

Isis Agora

I mean i could post stories about stuff Russia has banned  from the USA and the EU that have actual proof but i rather not  start no crap  and this hurts businesses too.. And really Kaspersky have not been ban in the USA  ..  Like they ban each other from buying goods for real  .

The one thing I gleam from all these posts is no one really understands how the federal agencies, intelligence and law enforcement, work.  Probably because no one has any actual experience with any of them.  The FBI can approach companies, using national security, in a way that makes the companies unable to publicly announce the contact or information derived from it without being severely punished for the disclosure based on national security violations, not criminal.  There is a difference and the words 'national security' have a meaning all their own.  You haven't heard of any state, county, or city governments speaking out but many of them have terminated their use of Kaspersky products.  I just bought Kaspersky licenses for my new phone, my new tablet, and my new laptop PC, but only because we ban the use of any device on our network that has Kaspersky software on it and these devices were purchased to test our security to make sure it works. Personally, I think this situation is just a result of the current Cold War between the US and Russia, but then one can never be sure since if Kaspersky feels threatened might they not just do exactly what they are being accused of doing.  This is called a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Where you accuse someone of something for so long that eventually it becomes true because people feel if they are being accused of it they might as well do it.  So there is no good ending for Kaspersky.

knowledge-Spammer
8 hours ago, straycat19 said:

The one thing I gleam from all these posts is no one really understands how the federal agencies, intelligence and law enforcement, work.  Probably because no one has any actual experience with any of them.  The FBI can approach companies, using national security, in a way that makes the companies unable to publicly announce the contact or information derived from it without being severely punished for the disclosure based on national security violations, not criminal.  There is a difference and the words 'national security' have a meaning all their own.  You haven't heard of any state, county, or city governments speaking out but many of them have terminated their use of Kaspersky products.  I just bought Kaspersky licenses for my new phone, my new tablet, and my new laptop PC, but only because we ban the use of any device on our network that has Kaspersky software on it and these devices were purchased to test our security to make sure it works. Personally, I think this situation is just a result of the current Cold War between the US and Russia, but then one can never be sure since if Kaspersky feels threatened might they not just do exactly what they are being accused of doing.  This is called a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Where you accuse someone of something for so long that eventually it becomes true because people feel if they are being accused of it they might as well do it.  So there is no good ending for Kaspersky.

maybe

So there is no good ending for Kaspersky.

Kaspersky will not go nowere its for lifetime

if u see the video with Eugene Kaspersky : Putin & Trump are not my friends!

usa not want to work with Eugene  and he is open to show his code to stop the bs usa saying  but its not good  for usa ?

19 hours ago, steven36 said:

They are the  website  that 1st posted  it  .. If  they had any real proof CBS , NBC and CNN  would be allover  it , but they dont even have a source so it's not a  credible news story. Why would the FBI be telling the private sector not too use Kaspesky  ? Sounds like something wrote from a spy novel back in the 1960s when J. Edgar Hoover was running the FBI .

If the Government thought Kaspersky was that big of a problem that it would effect the private sector they would pass a law too ban it all together like they ban Russian Vodka  and Russian Caviar along time ago .. They really dont need a reason too ban things from other countries,  they never have before just like Cuban Cigars are also illegal in the USA    :)

The problem  with this story  if it is not true  it scares most normal people in the USA and they could stop using MR. Kaspersky's products because they read this. He dont need no more bad publicity . They said the FBI  is telling them Kaspersky is making up fake malware  false positives based on this report from 2015

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-kaspersky-rivals-idUSKCN0QJ1CR20150814

They should not post stuff like this that is damaging too Kaspersky  with out any real sources .   Normal people would not know  no better .. If the FBI  told me this I'd tell them to get out of my  face because i don't  take advice from a Government agency who gave a  back-door demand too Apple. That is the pot calling the kettle black. They have laws in the USA  were you can take law enforcement  too court if they keep harassing  you without proper cause.  The police can stop you anytime,ask you anything and it's your right to say no. :P

I mean i could post stories about stuff Russia has banned  from the USA and the EU that have actual proof but i rather not  start no crap  and this hurts businesses too.. And really Kaspersky have not been ban in the USA  ..  Like they ban each other from buying goods for real  .

They were/are allegations, but no proofs. What's happening i would like to call it the "Frozen War" (like Cold War). But now the world & its people are gonna freeze due to their govts' mega-stupidity & craziness of actions.

American US companies (with the help of the US gov, FBI, NSA, CIA & maybe ICA - LoL) did launch their own line of products after the bans (American Vodka, American Caviar & American Cigars).

16 hours ago, knowledge said:

usa not want to work with Eugene  and he is open to show his code to stop the bs usa saying  but its not good  for usa ?

That is true but as has been stated previously in threads on this subject, there are constant updates to the software (to any good AV software, I might add) and that would require a security audit each and every update to ensure nothing malicious is injected in it.  That is impossible to do so the offer doesn't really make good security sense, doesn't even pass the common sense test.  The only way that would work would be if the software was installed, didn't require updates, and had no further contact with any outside server/source.  Then it could be audited and certified.  I understand he is fighting to save his company but I would just mark off the USA and concentrate on selling my software to other countries.  Except China, of course, since they steal everything and buy nothing.

knowledge-Spammer
8 hours ago, straycat19 said:

That is true but as has been stated previously in threads on this subject, there are constant updates to the software (to any good AV software, I might add) and that would require a security audit each and every update to ensure nothing malicious is injected in it.  That is impossible to do so the offer doesn't really make good security sense, doesn't even pass the common sense test.  The only way that would work would be if the software was installed, didn't require updates, and had no further contact with any outside server/source.  Then it could be audited and certified.  I understand he is fighting to save his company but I would just mark off the USA and concentrate on selling my software to other countries.  Except China, of course, since they steal everything and buy nothing.

maybe usa want to work on its own problems 1st

4 hours ago, straycat19 said:

Except China, of course, since they steal everything and buy nothing.

There is a lot of piracy in China but this topic is not about China  and the most successful antivirus vendors  are the ones that have free versions for years like Microsoft and Avast  have held a monopoly  on the  marketshare and before they had these antivirus on the market AVG Free held the most marketshare people don't install what is best they install  what  is free or nothing at all.  Just the other day they posted a article about  how like Half of Windows 7 users don't even run a Antivirus . And the USA is right behind China and Russia as far as piracy is concerned .The USA has the 3rd highest  piracy rate in the world .

Piracy is not always about buying  noways  a lot of times it's about  not having the money too buy the stuff you want but you would be fine without buying it and using some alternative that is free . Software Code and entertainment is just wants it' not needs and there are free alternatives .  Needs are stuff like Food and paying you're bills. You seem not to be able to grasp the difference ? If there was no Piracy on Windows  sites like Nsanedown would not exist and I doubt Microsoft would have 1.5 billion users when you can install Linux for Free and all you're software is free. China also is very keen on Linux because they don't really trust Microsoft.

Archived