64-bit Firefox is the new default on 64-bit Windows

Batu69

Users on 64-bit Windows who download Firefox will now get our 64-bit version by default. That means they’ll install a more secure version of Firefox, one that also crashes a whole lot less. How much less? In our tests so far, 64-bit Firefox reduced crashes by 39% on machines with 4GB of RAM or more.

Blog_64_Bit_Revised.jpg

64-bit Firefox has more security and fewer crashes

What’s the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit?

Here’s the key thing to know: 64-bit applications can access more memory and are less likely to crash than 32-bit applications. Also, with the jump from 32 to 64 bits, a security feature called Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) works better to protect you from attackers.

macOS and Linux users, fret not. You already enjoy a Firefox that’s optimized for 64-bit.

How do you get 64-bit Firefox?

If you’re running 64-bit Windows (here’s how to check), you have two options to get your computer hooked up with this improved Firefox experience:

1. You can download Firefox now and reinstall, which will automatically install Firefox 64-bit; or
  2. You can wait. We intend to migrate the remaining 64-bit Windows users to a 64-bit version of Firefox with a future release. If you prefer to stay with 32-bit Firefox after the 64-bit migration, you can simply download and re-run the Firefox 32-bit installer from the Firefox platforms and languages download page.

Article source

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, my personal experience does not confirm this. So far, the 32-bit version is running much more stable. (I have compared both versions since the 64-bit version is legally available and published publicly).

Probably 64-bit Firefox do not tolerate me.

Now, I wonder who is right !

Is 64-bits solid good browser or should you get the 32-bits ...............?  B)

so far IMO ; 64 bit is poorly done with regards to extensions (I'm talking before all this v53 sh*tstorm started) cos I'm running same version x32 bit on Win7 with same extensions and settings as on Win10 x64 ....but the huge difference is this x64 on some heavy JS'ted sites starts to eat lots of CPU and stops rendering pages from there on...and hence I've to restart it...I tried removing heavy extensions to keep this happening but to no avail.. !!

2 hours ago, Pete 12 said:

Is 64-bits solid good browser or should you get the 32-bits ...............?  B)

As I always say: " Always see the world with your own eyes!!!"

Give x64 a try and discover by yourself!!!! ;)

19 hours ago, ThisPC666 said:

im gettin green bars in any online videos specially on youtube when using 64bit. :s

update your video driver.

So it crashes less because it can use more than 4GB of ram?

Is that a good thing to be promoting, if your web browser is using more than 4GB of ram then it has problems. If that really is the case and this is the only offical fix for the problem then it's time to switch browsers.

On 8/15/2017 at 4:49 PM, WALLONN7 said:
On 8/15/2017 at 2:13 PM, Pete 12 said:

As I always say: " Always see the world with your own eyes!!!"

Give x64 a try and discover by yourself!!!! ;)

There was this time . . . . . . . a long time ago, when I used to take a lot of personal efforts to explain, illustrate and demonstrate to folks — nowadays, have decided to just enjoy the chaos around. B)

It doesnt use four gig plus it is capable of using four gig plus has access to four gig plus ( im not explaining this very well sorry) sixty four bit is better overall increased performance and better security.

21 hours ago, dcs18 said:

There was this time . . . a long time ago,

when I used to take a lot of personal efforts to explain, illustrate and demonstrate to folks

— nowadays, have decided to just enjoy the chaos around.

No problem. :tooth:

On 8/15/2017 at 6:28 AM, WALLONN7 said:

So its basically maintained(updated) slightly older versions?

I stayed away from the 64-bit Firefox because i heard its less stable and doesnt like plugins or extensions.My cyberfox 64-bit works good. Is Firefox 64-bit as good now as cyberfox 64-bit?

49 minutes ago, Kerry4444 said:

So its basically maintained(updated) slightly older versions?

I stayed away from the 64-bit Firefox because i heard its less stable and doesnt like plugins or extensions.My cyberfox 64-bit works good. Is Firefox 64-bit as good now as cyberfox 64-bit?

I've been using x64 since its firstest beta and never had trouble with addons I use... So the answer to your question is "yes". 

Give it a try!!!

25 minutes ago, WALLONN7 said:

I've been using x64 since its firstest beta and never had trouble with addons I use... So the answer to your question is "yes". 

Give it a try!!!

Will Do. I'm guessing I can't install over it? Fresh Install?

3 minutes ago, Kerry4444 said:

Will Do. I'm guessing I can't install over it? Fresh Install?

Copy your profile and paste anywhere you want to ( it's located: "Users > name > appdata > roaming > Mozilla > Profile" )

Then install Firefox normally... Do not liked it?! Uninstall Firefox, copy saved profile back...

Archived