ReFS available in Windows 10 (1703) - Testing on RamDisk

JohnMarston

Dear Nsaners,

Those of you that might be interested, I just realised today that my current build of Windows 10 (1703 15063.540) includes the option to format a RamDisk (created by ImDisk) to ReFS. I know that in the upcoming Workstation Pro edition ReFS will be available, but haven't noticed this functionality before, and especially did not expect it on the current latest stable build (I don't even run a Pro version of Windows 10...). I then searched the internet a bit and couldn't find any post or update on this feature, except for some older articles on how to test ReFS by using Disk mirroring and stuff I don't really know anything about.

Anyway, the process was simple: I just created a RamDisk, right-clicked on the drive to format it, and voila, the option to format to ReFS was there - you can check the attached screenshot.

I haven't tried it on any other physical HDDs or partition, as I am not really intending to spend the time and risk formatting them now.

Ok.. maybe a RamDisk is not the best way to test the file system, but still, it is cool that the option to use it is at least there.

Would be keen to hear your thoughts and experience with ReFS (especially for a normal PC user).

Ciao

ReFS.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot say for sure about the Home edition but I know the public version of windows 10 had the option to format secondary storage devices with ReFS For some time now. Just not the boot drive.

yes ReFS will be available in win10 worksation version, the version is not offficial yet but you can already test it by converting home version (windows 10 insider preview 16257) to worksation as home edition from that insider version can be upgraded to worksation.

So you have to get the win10 insider preview 16257 ISO then extract the install.wim then mount Home index () and set-edition to ProfessionalWorkStation, then you will have to unmount /commit, open the iso with UltraISO or PowerISO and replace the original install.wim with the modified one and save to create a new iso (workstation) then you can use the new iso to install it on VM to test it.

Archived