How to generate autounattend.xml file easily

mehdibleu

Hello everyone,

i have a great news for those who want to use autounattend.xml file for automatic installation but cannot use it because of lack of knowledge in programming.

To the ones who don't know what autounattend file is, it's very simple, in simple words, it's an answer file that allows to install automatically any windows version without the need for the user to intervene during the wole process.

I discovered by chance a website called windows Answer File Generator that allows to generate the file very easily by choosing all different setup options that you want to skip or keep during the automatic installation.

here's the concerned website => here

Again, it'svery easy to use, you go to "Desktop" tab and you choose the windows version that you want to install, let's say that you want to install win10 so choose "windows 10".

From there as i said, you can specify which setup options you want to skip, you can choose to skip all setup options that are proposed in the concerned website so that you don't need to intervene duriong the win10 installation, it will be done automatically including how to partition disks.

As regards this latter information (partition disks), you let the options as they are in the windows 10 Answer File Generator

i recommand to watch this video to see how all this goes, the guy explains in the video in the best possible way all you have to do to make this answer file work with the windows version that you wish to install.

After you choose all your desired setup options, you click at the bottom on "Highlight All" then you download the file by clicking on "Download File".

Next time, all you have to do is to put the answer file "autounattend.xml" file in the root of your flash usb drive or your DVD.

Note 1: if your source folder iso does not contain "ei.cfg", you may encontour error message at the beginning "windows cannot read the product key setting from the unattend answer file", so make sure the source folder iso always contains ei.cfg before using the answer file.

your ei.cfg has to contain these lines :

[Channel]
Retail

[VL]

Important : if your iso is AIO, you have to remove the product key line from your answer file for both architecture (x86 and amd64) otherwise you will face error message later and the installation will stop.

Note 2 : I've tested the aswer file with windows 7 and windows 8.1 and it worked like a charm, all went successfully, the installation was done automatically without the need of intervening during the installation which is great as it saves time and effort.

I haven't tested with win10 but the procedure is exactly the same as you can see in the video

Special thanks to Britec09 who is the author of the video and the website as well.

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VIKTOR PAVEL
6 hours ago, mehdibleu said:

Note 2 : I've tested the aswer file with windows 7 and windows 8.1 and it worked like a charm, all went successfully, the installation was done automatically without the need of intervening during the installation which is great as it saves time and effort.

I haven't tested with win10 but the procedure is exactly the same as you can see in the video

Special thanks to Britec09 who is the author of the video and the website as well.

is working too with Windows 10 - only thing you must know is when you add it to Windows 10 ISO, this iso is no more good for upgrade from other windows versions

11 hours ago, VIKTOR PAVEL said:

is working too with Windows 10 - only thing you must know is when you add it to Windows 10 ISO, this iso is no more good for upgrade from other windows versions

are you saying that if you integrade the answer file (autounattend.xml) into win10 iso, you won't be able to use the win10 iso to upgrade from older versions anymore or you are just trying to say that silent installation will not work with that autounattend file anymore when it comes to use the iso to upgrade from older windows versions ?

i've tested with win10 and it worked as well.

i added the answer file to the iso and i was able to use the iso to do the upgrade from older version without problem.

Archived