Standby Memory Causes Crashes

Avitar

Dear Microsoft,

You know what's annoying? When you have 8GB of RAM, an i7 processor and 2x NVIDIA GPU's with an SSD... and your game or photoshop crashes BECAUSE YOU RAN OUT OF MEMORY. Opening task manager, only 3 GB used but 5 F***ng GB of memory is in standby. I know you're going to hit me bullshit about how it theoretically speeds up app opening for apps you're LIKELY to use, but what's the sense when THE APP YOU'RE 100% USING RIGHT NOW crashes because ohh, that program you have a 10% chance of using needs the memory more. I don't care how's it's SUPPOSED to work, IT DOESN'T FREE THE STANDBY MEMORY WHEN YOUR APP NEEDS RAM!!!  It doesn't work like you intended it to! It causes crashes!! Programs see FREE MEMORY ONLY and crash with out of memory errors because AN APP I USED A WEEK AGO IS in standby.

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BEFORE I GO INSANE, please, I want to DISABLE STANDBY MEMORY. I have an SSD. I will load the program when I launch it from disk. Give me the option to disable standby memory. Just put the feature in and see how many of us users will disable it. We are the free thinkers of the world. We don't use facebook/chrome and youtube exclusively all our life. 

Sincerely,

A frustrated gamer/programmer

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have got a similar hardware configuration — except for HDD instead of SSD and no GPU, at all.

I don't play games but have never had the issue with Photoshop as reported — have 2 different variants (portable and installed — both run fine.)

Have also deployed my mirror image to hundreds of client machines (mostly core i3 and a few core i5) with no such problem (even on games.)

I have an i7 with 12 GB Ram plus two SSD's and had a similar problem - what happened here was from sleep it would wake up and immediately reboot - I tracked it down to a problem with the Graphics Card (Nvidia) that had bad contacts in the socket on the Mobo - removed card, cleaned the card and socket contacts and no problems since .

VIKTOR PAVEL
On 11/08/2017 at 0:09 PM, Avitar said:

, please, I want to DISABLE STANDBY MEMORY. ...

use this tool from : https://wj32.org/wp/software/empty-standby-list/

Empty Standby List

EmptyStandbyList.exe is a command line tool for Windows (Vista and above) that can empty:

• process working sets,
  • the modified page list,
  • the standby lists (priorities 0 to 7), or
  • the priority 0 standby list only.

The executable file below is signed.
Download: EmptyStandbyList.exe

Usage:

EmptyStandbyList.exe workingsets|modifiedpagelist|standbylist|priority0standbylist

you can use command in bat file and run by Task Scheduler

• 2 weeks later...

I have less powerful system and it works fine for me, no swap or buffer RAM at all, i specify exactly how much RAM should Adobe products use and they use up to 100% of the RAM specified for them, sometimes I render and at the same time work in Photoshop. there must be a problem with your configurations, don't just come here and blame someone else for your lack of knowledge.

You also haven't mentioned your OS and its version.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2017 at 8:05 PM, VIKTOR PAVEL said:
Spoiler

use this tool from : https://wj32.org/wp/software/empty-standby-list/

Empty Standby List

EmptyStandbyList.exe is a command line tool for Windows (Vista and above) that can empty:

• process working sets,
  • the modified page list,
  • the standby lists (priorities 0 to 7), or
  • the priority 0 standby list only.

The executable file below is signed.
Download: EmptyStandbyList.exe

Usage:

EmptyStandbyList.exe workingsets|modifiedpagelist|standbylist|priority0standbylist

you can use command in bat file and run by Task Scheduler

THIS. I think I've written some code using this that clears the standby memory every second, and after running for a minute, the standby memory doesn't go above 16MB. I have to investigate further but I think I may be able to code something that will remove this cancer of standby memory from windows for good. Anyone who can decompile the windows kernel (people that may be working at microsoft) PLEASE put and option to turn standby memory off.

Archived