USB 3.2 to be 2x faster, even on existing USB 3.1 cables

DKT27

• Administrator

USB 3.1 has only just started catching on over the last couple of years, but it looks like USB 3.2 is already on the horizon. This week, the USB 3.0 Promoter Group, which consists of industry giants like Microsoft, Intel and Apple, announced some new details for USB 3.2, which will support up to 10Gbps transfer speeds and introduce two-lane operation, even using existing USB 3.1 cables.

The USB 3.0 Promoter Group has listed out the key benefits that USB 3.2 shall bring:

• Two-lane operation using existing USB Type-C cables.
  • Continued use of existing SuperSpeed USB physical layer data rates and encoding techniques.
  • Minor update to hub specification to address increased performance and assure seamless transitions between single and two-lane operation.

XklZWDk.jpg

USB 3.2 allows for up to two lanes of 5Gbps operation or two lanes of 10Gbps, effectively doubling bandwidth over USB 3.1 while retaining existing cables. This means a USB 3.2 host connected to a USB 3.2 storage device will be capable of speeds around 2GB/s.

Right now, the USB 3.0 Promoter Group has the USB 3.2 specification in a final draft and is pending approval. We should see a formal launch in September this year.

:view:View: Original Article

• Replies 3
  • Views 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spoiler

Problem with moving files that fast is the vibrations from all the little sonic booms mess up your wifi radio's.

• Administrator
20 hours ago, mikie said:
  Hide contents

Problem with moving files that fast is the vibrations from all the little sonic booms mess up your wifi radio's.

Does light cause that or does only sound cause it.

Eitherway, I did not know it was a problem until I read it here. It seems Intel has whole research paper dedicated to it. Anyway, this says that USB 3.1 operates at a different / higher frequency, I wonder if 3.2 requires even higher frequency. Meaning, it might not interfere with WiFi. But then again, I know very little about these things. :P

Archived