Kaspersky Announces The Global Launch of Kaspersky Free Antivirus

Matsuda

1 hour ago, stylemessiah said:

Never one to merely give a review without also testing something...i just installed this

Removed the stupid backdoor that is secure conenction

Rebooted

Yeah right. As if I read a ‘review’ written by Pres. Trump.
A total psychopathic joke.

• Replies 33
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, stylemessiah said:

Never one to merely give a review without also testing something...i just installed this

[...]

Kaspersky Free takes an absolute eon to launch and settle...

[...]

Removed Kaspersky

[...]

Back to normal...all my pages open at their previous blinding speed

To offer a counter-example.

For me it didn't take "eons" to launch and settle.

I honestly don't notice any difference in system performance at all.

I did however also notice considerably worse network performance.

I then disabled a few options inside the "Web Anti-Virus" settings and now it's considerably faster again.

I'm pretty happy with Kaspersky Free so far.

Bitdefender Internet Security (which I used before) may have been a little better performance-wise, but out of all the free ones I tried, Kaspersky is the one I liked best so far.

AlienForce1
5 hours ago, stylemessiah said:
Spoiler

Removed the stupid backdoor that is secure conenction

Rebooted

Kaspersky Free takes an absolute eon to launch and settle, and im on a quad core i7 4790 with hyperthreading...not a slouch...total joke

Opened my morning coffee pages in waterfox...and waited, and waited and waited...only half of them loaded...never seen this before

Rebooted

Tried again...Kaspersky Free takes an absolute eon to launch and settle...total joke

Opened my morning coffee pages in waterfox...and waited, and waited and waited...only half of them loaded...

Tested non-cached pages (which should have loaded quick as normal,m but not with Kaspersky)...and they were slow as buggery too

Network traffic performance is up to shit compared to Avast

Removed Kaspersky

Avast reinstalled

Back to normal...all my pages open at their previous blinding speed

Just so you know....

Edit: found it also left a lot of crap behind after it was removed...so then you have to download kavremvr.exe, another 13Mb file, to clean most of the remaining crap out....prolly the worst AV ive seen in a while for leaving orphaned files/services behind...messy as shit

I don`t know what problems do you have in your system , but for me KFA Free is even faster than KIS 2018 ( I had this installed until today , when my KIS key was black-listed )

For those interested , here is some more info :

Switching to permanent use of Kaspersky Internet Security

If you want to switch to permanent use of Kaspersky Internet Security, you must purchase a license for Kaspersky Internet Security and then activate the application.

To purchase a license for Kaspersky Internet Security:

1. Open the main application window.
  2. Click the More Tools button in the lower part of the main window to open the Tools window.
  3. In the left part of the Tools window, click the Upgrade link to open the Upgrade window.
  4. Click the Purchase license link to go to the website of the Kaspersky Lab eStore or a partner company on which you can purchase a license for Kaspersky Internet Security.

To switch to Kaspersky Internet Security:

1. Open the main application window.
  2. Click the More Tools button in the lower part of the main window to open the Tools window.
  3. In the left part of the Tools window, click the Upgrade link to open the Upgrade window.
  4. Click the Upgrade protection link to open the Activation window.
  5. In the Activation window, enter the activation code in the entry field and click the Activate button.

The Migration Wizard will start and you will be switched to Kaspersky Internet Security.

If you enter an activation code for Kaspersky Anti-Virus, you will be switched to Kaspersky Anti-Virus. If an activation code for Kaspersky Total Security is entered, you will be switched to Kaspersky Total Security.

After the license for the activated application expires, you can return to using Kaspersky Free.

Does it still require .NET framework to run?

AlienForce1

https://help.kaspersky.com/KFA/2018/en-US/43520.htm

Hardware and software requirements

General requirements:

• 920 MB free disk space on the hard drive
  • Processor that supports the SSE2 instruction set
  • CD-/DVD-ROM (for installing from the installation CD)
  • Internet access (for the application installation and activation, for the use of Kaspersky Security Network, and for updating databases and application modules)
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 or later

To access My Kaspersky portal, we recommend using Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.0 or later.

• Microsoft Windows Installer 3.0 or later
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 4 or later

Requirements for Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 3 or later), Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 3 or later), and Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (Service Pack 2 or later):

• Processor with a clock speed of 1 GHz or higher
  • 512 MB free RAM

Requirements for Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (Service Pack 2 or later), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (Service Pack 2 or later), Microsoft Windows Vista Business (Service Pack 2 or later), Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (Service Pack 2 or later), Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (Service Pack 2 or later), Microsoft Windows 7 Starter (Service Pack 0 or later), Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (Service Pack 0 or later), Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 0 or later), Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (Service Pack 0 or later), Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (Service Pack 0 or later), Microsoft Windows 8, Microsoft Windows 8 Pro, Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise, Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Windows 8.1 Update), Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (Windows 8.1 Update), Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise (Windows 8.1 Update), Microsoft Windows 10 Home (TH1, TH2, RS1, RS2 Preview), Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise (TH1, TH2, RS1, RS2 Preview), and Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (TH1, TH2, RS1, RS2 Preview):

• Processor with a clock speed of 1 GHz or higher
  • 1 GB free RAM (for 32-bit operating systems); 2 GB free RAM (for 64-bit operating systems)

Supported browsers:

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, and 11.0

The Internet Explorer 8.0 – 11.0 browser with the new Windows user interface is not supported.

• Microsoft Edge versions 38.x or later
  • Mozilla Firefox versions 40.x – 50.x
  • Mozilla Firefox ESR versions 38.x – 45.x
  • Google Chrome versions 44.x – 55.x

Kaspersky Free supports Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox in 32-bit and in 64-bit operating systems.

Requirements for tablet computers:

• Microsoft Windows 8, Microsoft Windows 8.1, Microsoft Windows 10
  • Intel Celeron processor with a clock speed of 1.66 GHz or faster
  • 1000 MB free RAM

Requirements for netbooks:

• Intel Atom CPU 1.60 GHz or faster
  • 1024 MB free RAM
  • 10.1-inch display with 1024x600 screen resolution
  • Intel GMA 950 graphics core

stylemessiah
On 07/08/2017 at 3:36 AM, megadorus said:

To offer a counter-example.

For me it didn't take "eons" to launch and settle.

I honestly don't notice any difference in system performance at all.

I did however also notice considerably worse network performance.

I then disabled a few options inside the "Web Anti-Virus" settings and now it's considerably faster again.

I'm pretty happy with Kaspersky Free so far.

Bitdefender Internet Security (which I used before) may have been a little better performance-wise, but out of all the free ones I tried, Kaspersky is the one I liked best so far.

When you have to start turning things off, then by logic youre also droppign the protection level

How is that sane?

Overall I can only report truthfully what i experienced, nothing more, nothing less

Ive been doing this a long time...id still recommend Avast/Avira/AVG in that order for free AV. Kaspersky dead last because of the secure connect bs, and the slowness with default settings, and the fact that havent clearly stated yet whats in it for them.

On 11.8.2017 at 11:02 AM, stylemessiah said:

When you have to start turning things off, then by logic youre also droppign the protection level

How is that sane?

Overall I can only report truthfully what i experienced, nothing more, nothing less

Ive been doing this a long time...id still recommend Avast/Avira/AVG in that order for free AV. Kaspersky dead last because of the secure connect bs, and the slowness with default settings, and the fact that havent clearly stated yet whats in it for them.

Well, in my case I'm not really missing anything because I'm using Malwarebytes for web protection.

But if Malwarebytes' web protection were as slow as Kaspersky's I'd disable that as well.

But you're definitely right about the "Secure Connection". It's a joke that they're installing this without any way for the user to opt-out.

What would be great is if Bitdefender followed suit and released a great free antivirus without any VPN as adware. I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Archived