Kaspersky Announces The Global Launch of Kaspersky Free Antivirus

Matsuda

sshot-1.png

It’s a version with all the bare essentials: file, email and web antivirus; automatic updates, self-defense; quarantine; and so on. This arsenal ensures convenient and safe web surfing (is it still surfing? Sounds a bit 90s to me), working with USB sticks and other portable storage media, and protection against both phishing and infected files being run. In short, the indispensable basics that no one on the planet should do without.

Kaspersky Free is also lighter on system resources and quicker than its big brothers. It’s based on the same technologies as those older brothers, which you all know always come out on top in independent testing. This means that, though it features just the bare basics, it still packs a punch – a punch we’re no less proud of. The same protection without compromise: we detect any cyberthreat regardless of its origin or intention – even if certain folks don’t like it. At the same time Kaspersky Free doesn’t come cut with all the usual nonsense like advertising-oriented user-habit tracking and confidentiality infringements – which free AV normally suffers badly from in order to make it financially worthwhile to its manufacturers.

The roll-out won’t be fully global instantaneously; it’s going to be done over four months in waves as per different regions. The first wave will be the U.S.A., Canada, and many of the Asia Pacific countries. September: India, Hong Kong, Middle East, Africa, Turkey and Latin America. October: Europe, Japan and South Korea. November: Vietnam and Thailand. And that, I do believe, will be it – the whole planet covered.

38009401_original-min.jpg

Source: https://eugene.kaspersky.com/2017/07/25/kl-av-for-free-secure-the-whole-world-will-be/

Download Kaspersky Free Antivirus 2018 English Version: https://products.s.kaspersky-labs.com/english/homeuser/kfa2018/kfa18.0.0.405aben_12579.exe

• Replies 33
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
knowledge-Spammer

:P go Kaspersky

The roll-out won’t be fully global instantaneously; it’s going to be done over four months in waves as per different regions. The first wave will be the U.S.A., Canada, and many of the Asia Pacific countries. September: India, Hong Kong, Middle East, Africa, Turkey and Latin America. October: Europe, Japan and South Korea. November: Vietnam and Thailand. And that, I do believe, will be it – the whole planet covered.

i bet the usa love that

edit from russia with love

stylemessiah

At the same time Kaspersky Free doesn’t come cut with all the usual nonsense like advertising-oriented user-habit tracking and confidentiality infringements – which free AV normally suffers badly from in order to make it financially worthwhile to its manufacturers.

Soooo, whats in it for them? Because they have to have some angle here folks, if its not overt advertising, it has to be sneaky metrics via telemetry...

And here on the 2nd screen in to setup:

pLQ3tY5.png

Why do you need to install a "secure network connection component"?

Just no

Even if i can quote "deactivate" components via control panel, i have zero faith you wont still use those in the background anyways

Ill stick with Avast Free thanks, doesnt install extra layers on top of core system components....

There must be some strings attached. The product itself may be free, the data it collects will be a lot more valuable than a few dozen bucks.

Looks good too me  Kapersky without all the bloat

Kaspersky Free doesn’t come cut with all the usual nonsense like advertising-oriented user-habit tracking and confidentiality infringements – which free AV normally suffers badly from in order to make it financially worthwhile to its manufacturers.

I'm sure one of you guys is going to post screenshots or give us more info.

Isit faster/lighter then avast? or eset AV.

An increase in the number of installations of Kaspersky Free will positively affect the quality of protection of all users, since the big-data-bases will have more numbers to work with to better hone the machine learning.

So I guess this will be the catch?  They will be using data gathered from all users installing this?

I hope ESET releases one too.  I miss the days when ESET wasn't this bloated.

I’ve tested this free av since its version 2017, and having felt quite happy with it, decided to stay with it permanently.
**There is one thing I’d like to share with you: How to fix the only annoyance I’ve had with Kaspersky Free Antivirus. As I noticed earlier today, it’s still present in v2018.
What I have in mind:
In KFA you have the more or less daily prompts/notifications offering you to register at the Kaspersky Lab’s portal – called “My Kaspersky”. It could be useful, but if you don’t want it…
There is no option in the UI to stop these reminders.
However, with a very simple change in the Registry you can disable the prompts, for good.
The hack is the following (first, surely, switch-off the product’s self-defense; no need to exit from sys-tray):

Via a RegEditor navigate to:
*64bit Windows:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KasperskyLab\AVP18.0.0\Data\UCPRegistrationAlert
*32bit Win:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\AVP18.0.0\Data\UCPRegistrationAlert

You'll notice there a value named “state”, with value data=0.
Well, simply change it to “2”.
->Exit the RegEditor.
Enable “self-defense”.
I recommend rebooting the computer.
Silence...:)
Greetings.:)

I wonder if there's not a marketing entrenchment going on rather than a gratuitous freebee.  Kaspersky's rep is suffering here in the US b/cuz of mis-information and distrust spewing from the government's top levels.  The Feds have to be off Kaspersky by next spring.   Real or conspiracy, stories of the ilk of are increasingly circulating.  http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-kaspersky-cyber-russia-spy-agency-20170703-story.htmlhttp://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-kaspersky-cyber-russia-spy-agency-20170703-story.html

The world's in pretty f@#ed up shape and with ignornamouses like Trump in charge I don't see much progress or trust happening anytime soon unfortunately.

stylemessiah
On 26/07/2017 at 10:00 AM, Matsuda said:

Looks like Kaspersky Secure Connection is installed automatically with Kaspersky products but this component can be uninstalled easily.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-uninstall-and-remove-kaspersky-secure-connection/

Doesnt matter, who is to say that it doesnt leave some hook in your system even if you remove it?

Anything that can be removed via control panel separately should be untickable as an option during install...simple as that

Even though you can remove it afterwards, it still gets a fuck no from me

Also i wont use any AV that doesnt have a FULL offline installer available....

And then theres the fact they are going to datamine the hell out of anyone using it

Ill stick with Avast, ive been with them forever, better the devil you know....and Avast has never misused my info yet

Rico69Suave
12 minutes ago, rushdie said:

Will this never annoy the users with the regular "Buy Now" messages?

Go to

On 26/7/2017 at 3:02 AM, capt_blake said:
I’ve tested this free av since its version 2017, and having felt quite happy with it, decided to stay with it permanently.
**There is one thing I’d like to share with you: How to fix the only annoyance I’ve had with Kaspersky Free Antivirus. As I noticed earlier today, it’s still present in v2018.
What I have in mind:
In KFA you have the more or less daily prompts/notifications offering you to register at the Kaspersky Lab’s portal – called “My Kaspersky”. It could be useful, but if you don’t want it…
There is no option in the UI to stop these reminders.
However, with a very simple change in the Registry you can disable the prompts, for good.
The hack is the following (first, surely, switch-off the product’s self-defense; no need to exit from sys-tray):

Via a RegEditor navigate to:
*64bit Windows:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KasperskyLab\AVP18.0.0\Data\UCPRegistrationAlert
*32bit Win:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\AVP18.0.0\Data\UCPRegistrationAlert

You'll notice there a value named “state”, with value data=0.
Well, simply change it to “2”.
->Exit the RegEditor.
Enable “self-defense”.
I recommend rebooting the computer.
Silence...:)
Greetings.:)

@Rico69Suave, what I have asked and what you have referred to me are totally different. @capt_blake talks about how to disable the "Registration alert" whereas what I am asking is whether it generates the "Buy Now" messages. Anybody, please correct me if I am wrong.

5 minutes ago, rushdie said:

@Rico69Suave, what I have asked and what you have referred to me are totally different. @capt_blake talks about how to disable the "Registration alert" whereas what I am asking is whether it generates the "Buy Now" messages. Anybody, please correct me if I am wrong.

On 7/26/2017 at 6:32 AM, capt_blake said:
**There is one thing I’d like to share with you: How to fix the only annoyance I’ve had with Kaspersky Free Antivirus.

According to capt_blake . . . . . . it does not — just a pointer (I'm not a User.) ;)

5 hours ago, stylemessiah said:

Ill stick with Avast, ive been with them forever, better the devil you know....and Avast has never misused my info yet

After I read the Avast and Avira TOS, I uninstalled both.

I say wait a few months before installing and we'll see what Kaspersky's angle is.

I'm sure if there is any datamining, the "official" news agencies will report it.

Wondering if Kaspersky will run on an offline machine, or if it needs "the cloud" for the defs.

LoL, this will make my KFA repack's job destroy :D 

20 hours ago, coua said:

LoL, this will make my KFA repack's job destroy :D 

LoL...Don't think so... i / we 'll still wanna need repacks for Pro features :D

stylemessiah

Never one to merely give a review without also testing something...i just installed this

Removed the stupid backdoor that is secure conenction

Rebooted

Kaspersky Free takes an absolute eon to launch and settle, and im on a quad core i7 4790 with hyperthreading...not a slouch...total joke

Opened my morning coffee pages in waterfox...and waited, and waited and waited...only half of them loaded...never seen this before

Rebooted

Tried again...Kaspersky Free takes an absolute eon to launch and settle...total joke

Opened my morning coffee pages in waterfox...and waited, and waited and waited...only half of them loaded...

Tested non-cached pages (which should have loaded quick as normal,m but not with Kaspersky)...and they were slow as buggery too

Network traffic performance is up to shit compared to Avast

Removed Kaspersky

Avast reinstalled

Back to normal...all my pages open at their previous blinding speed

Just so you know....

Edit: found it also left a lot of crap behind after it was removed...so then you have to download kavremvr.exe, another 13Mb file, to clean most of the remaining crap out....prolly the worst AV ive seen in a while for leaving orphaned files/services behind...messy as shit

Archived