New blood test can check for 13 types of cancers

tao

A research team led by the Tokyo-based National Cancer Center Japan has developed a new test to diagnose 13 kinds of cancers from a single drop of blood, with a clinical study set to start from next month.

d8433c3eae877b7553a6956ee22639d1.jpg?AWS

The center’s research and ethics screening committee gave the green light to the study in mid-July. The research team will apply to the central government to put the new test into practical use within three years, at the earliest.

Thus far, there has been no test to diagnose multiple kinds of cancers at one time. If the new test is introduced in comprehensive medical examinations and other checkups, deaths from cancer could be reduced.

The new test utilizes microRNA (miRNA), a substance that is secreted from cells into the blood and regulates the movements of genes. Types of miRNA differ between cancer cells and normal cells, and they do not decompose for a certain period of time.

The team is composed of researchers from the center, Toray Industries Inc. — which has the testing technology — and other institutions. They succeeded in identifying miRNA specific to 13 kinds of cancers, such as breast, lung, stomach, colorectal, esophagus, liver and pancreatic cancers, from the preserved blood of about 40,000 patients, most of whom were cancer sufferers.

From a single drop of blood, the researchers could diagnose all the cancers, including relatively early stage 1 cancers, with more than 95 percent accuracy. Breast cancer was diagnosed with 97 percent accuracy.

However, the properties of miRNA could have changed in preserved blood. Therefore, in the planned clinical study, the research team will use fresh blood provided by about 3,000 people, including patients and healthy people.

For early detection of cancers such as breast, stomach, lung and colorectal, examinations using X-rays and endoscopy are said to be effective. However, people need to take separate examinations for each part of the body.

Even with the new test method, detailed examinations will be required to confirm a diagnosis.

Yet Takahiro Ochiya, head of the Molecular and Cellular Medicine Division at the National Cancer Center Research Institute, said: “Patients will not need to take multiple tests. In the future, it will become possible to identify cancer stages and characteristics.”

Prof. Masahiko Kuroda, chief of the Molecular Pathology Department of the Tokyo Medical University, said: “In Europe, research aimed at early detection of diseases using miRNA is being actively pursued, but there haven’t been any studies where analysis was conducted on so many patients like this one. So this should prove very useful.”

< Here >

• Replies 7
  • Views 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 0bin said:

False.

False.

References, please.  Thanks.

[Yes, Huygens said about Newton's corpuscular theory:  false false false (like triple talak) and all the scientists believed him.]

I take it back:  No reference, please.   :lol:

Where does it say, "The new test utilizes microRNA (miRNA), a substance that is secreted from cells into the blood" is false.  That's miRNA is not secreted from cells into the blood?

Clinical relevance of circulating cell-free microRNAs in cancer

Abstract: Efficient patient management relies on early diagnosis of disease and monitoring of treatment. In this regard, much effort has been made to find informative, blood-based biomarkers for patients with cancer. Owing to their attributes—which are specifically modulated by the tumour—circulating cell-free microRNAs found in the peripheral blood of patients with cancer may provide insights into the biology of the tumour and the effects of therapeutic interventions. Moreover, the role of microRNAs in the regulation of different cellular processes points to their clinical utility as blood-based biomarkers and future therapeutic targets. MicroRNAs are optimal biomarkers owing to high stability under storage and handling conditions and their presence in blood, urine and other body fluids. In particular, detection of levels of microRNAs in blood plasma and serum has the potential for an earlier cancer diagnosis and to predict prognosis and response to therapy. This Review article considers the latest developments in the use of circulating microRNAs as prognostic and predictive biomarkers and discusses their utility in personalized medicine.

4 minutes ago, 0bin said:

Here. And is false. If you see the picture, you will understand that is not always the case, and who wrote the article should first explain to general audience what they are.

Also saying that there are not way to diagnose multiple type of cancer is false.

Yes, yes, what do scientists at National Cancer Center Japan know?   :lol: 

[Sorry for wasting your time.  :sorry:

さよなら  ( サヨナラ!

1 hour ago, adi said:

[Yes, Huygens said about Newton's corpuscular theory:  false false false (like triple talak) and all the scientists believed him.]

I take it back:  No reference, please.   :lol:

so is he divorcing him/her? lol

10 minutes ago, 0bin said:

You shouldn't sorry for something you aren't real sorry.

After AI, biology, cancer research, you are an expert in psychology or mind reading also, eh?

You know my feelings better than me, eh?  What a hubris!

Yes, I am sorry that I posted this article and you made several replies -- wasting your time.  As I consider all of them merit-less and tangential at best. The straw that broke the camel's back is when I realized that you have recommendations for the scientists toiling in their field with so much sweat and tears in their past. Yes I am sorrier now than my last post. 

Enjoy yourself any which you fancy.  I have no desire to control others -- not even myself.  Regards. 

5 minutes ago, 0bin said:

You only copy past articles from other sites without even read them. When I make a comment about one thing I know, you went crazy talking about Newtonian fluid.

Ok. Do you like arguing?

Dammit, you accuse me of things you know nothing about.  So be it; I can't ask a scorpion not to bite.

What  Newtonian fluid?  What are you smoking? 

And to one wearing red-tinted glasses all appears red.  So is with a "crazy" tint.  To me you appear rather like any one I know (including myself): capable of great insights, hubris, error-prone, argumentative, irritating, irritated, offended, offensive  ....

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

Archived