Request: Vivaldi on FrontPage

HandyPAF

I was never a fan of Opera. It just didn't appeal to me. Back in the day, I used Firefox and then the last few years I had switched to Google Chrome because it was faster. Then I came across FlashPeak Slimjet which is a variant of Chromium just like Google Chrome is. Slimjet was better than Chrome, it has way more config/customization options and doesn't come pre-loaded with Google's crap.

But then Vivaldi happened. I was skeptical, yes I had my doubts. But nonetheless, I tried it anyway. And I fell in love with it! It's just as fast as Chrome (if not faster) and has an appealing user interface that makes it easy to access frequently-visited sites, RSS feeds, my downloads, history, etc.

I don't know how many of you have given Vivaldi a go, but I highly recommend it. And I also think it is worthy of being on the FrontPage of Nsane. Anyone who would like to try the browser can grab a portable version of it here. Don't like it? Just delete the folder. Love it as much as I do? Get it from the homepage!

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vivaldi :   In simple words, a fork of Chromium means Chromium engine is used to create another web browser.

Proprietary browsers (developed by  Chromium exists since 2008. It is the free and open-source project (#features) behind the famous Google Chrome browser. Intrinsically, Chromium is a Google project maintained by many authors (developers, engineers, graphic designers, security researchers...) from Google, Opera, Yandex, Samsung, Intel, Nvidia, Adobe, Hewlett-Packard, BlackBerry... So Chromium is not made by Google!

Like : 

• Opera (by Opera Software • Golden Brick Silk Road/Qihoo 360, since July 2016)

Vivaldi have one million user's.It's not so huge.

Vivaldi wiki : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivaldi_(web_browser)

If Vivaldi is in front page all fork's of chromium browser must be: Maybe.

It's Chromium who deserves Front page. I think.

I don't want offense somebody.:unsure:

It's just an opinion.:)

Best Regards ;)

20 minutes ago, snf said:

Vivaldi have one million user's.It's not so huge.

If Vivaldi is in front page all fork's of chromium browser must be: Maybe.

It's Chromium who deserves Front page. I think.

I don't want offense somebody.:unsure:

It's just an opinion.:)

I am not offended. Discussion is good.

Vivaldi is an excellent browser and I think a lot of users would appreciate the somewhat-revived features of Opera 12. The Wikipedia page says "The browser has 1 million users as of January 2017" but that was almost 7 months ago so the number could be much higher at present time.

Saying "if Vivaldi is on frontpage then all forks of Chromium must be" is like saying "if Notepad is on frontpage then all text editors should be"

Firefox is on the frontpage and Waterfox (a fork of Firefox) is also there. Chromium, the original browser that deserves all the credit, is probably not on the frontpage for a reason. I've never heard of anyone using it, anyone I know who likes Chrome-based browsers prefers a fork because the original lacks features, auto-update, whatever.

Vivaldi offers a lot of unique features that you can't find in other Chrome-based browsers. Read the following article that showcases 12 features in Vivaldi that set it apart from the rest -> http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/cool-vivaldi-browser-features/

Or take a look at all the features Vivaldi has to offer

@HandyPAF

All your arguments are indisputable.

Except one:

48 minutes ago, HandyPAF said:

somewhat-revived features of Opera 12

For me is not. I have used Opera since version 9 to the end of real Opera.

And vivaldi : Has no comparisons with Opera 12.

Except appearance superficial. 

I immediately abandoned it.

And their privacy is strange .

( Their collect user's usage for sale to Google )

(And OFF TOPIC:

Opera It's worse. Now is Chinese societe welcome to the back doors. :D )

One project  Browser aims to recreate the best aspects of the classic Opera (12.x) BUT UI using Qt5.

Is :Otter Browser

https://otter-browser.org/

Problem is in beta stage since long time.

No Stable version for the moment but usable anyway

:)

38 minutes ago, snf said:

For me is not. I have used Opera since version 9 to the end of real Opera.

And vivaldi : Has no comparisons with Opera 12.

Except appearance superficial. 

I immediately abandoned it.

As I said earlier, I've never been a fan of Opera so I have almost no idea what Opera was like before they transitioned from the Presto layout engine to the Blink layout engine. Vivaldi was envisioned by the Opera Software co-founder and former CEO Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner and Vivaldi has no official ties with Opera.

t's a Chromium-based browser but while Chrome and Firefox are stripping the browser to its bare essentials, Vivaldi offers more integrated features and customization options. You can decide where to put the tabs, which tab to open after the current one is closed, change or add practically any shortcut, and much more. Among the most popular features, according to Tomita, are tab stacking and the possibility to tile a number of tabs in the same window.

Soon they will be adding an integrated email client and are currently developing a mobile version for Android devices.

48 minutes ago, snf said:

And their privacy is strange .

( Their collect user's usage for sale to Google )

Vivaldi emphasizes its focus on privacy and stability, claiming that no user data is either collected by the browser or sent to other parties, including Google.

At Vivaldi Technologies AS (“Vivaldi AS”), protecting your privacy is a top priority. We strictly protect the security of any and all personal information you provide to us while using Vivaldi products and services. We do not share or sell information to any third party and we proactively protect all user data from disclosure, with the only exception being if requested by legitimate law agencies with a court order.

Source: https://vivaldi.com/privacy/browser/

4 hours ago, HandyPAF said:

t's a Chromium-based browser but while Chrome and Firefox are stripping the browser to its bare essentials, Vivaldi offers more integrated features and customization options. You can decide where to put the tabs, which tab to open after the current one is closed, change or add practically any shortcut, and much more. Among the most popular features, according to Tomita, are tab stacking and the possibility to tile a number of tabs in the same window.

Soon they will be adding an integrated email client and are currently developing a mobile version for Android devices.

Ok. But all this has nothing to do with Opera 12.

It's Chromium web browser with more  customizable options ; that's all. ;)

Like all fork of Chromium .

And  all of these fork chromium browsers are closed-source, outdated, based on Chromium.

Vivaldi emphasizes its focus on privacy and stability, claiming that no user data is either collected by the browser or sent to other parties, including Google.

It's sure they will not shout it on the roofs.

But trust me or not.

At the time, on the specialized  webs , there was an enormous amount of article.

I don't remember where.

They had to do that ; because they are not profitable and they need money.  $$$$

And most of the features they remove don't even exist in Chromium, in the first place. Control your personal info and privacy yourself.;)

And Chromium is an open source project Not all fork Chromium

:)

5 hours ago, snf said:

Ok. But all this has nothing to do with Opera 12.

This topic isn't about Opera 12. I don't care about Opera 12. That browser is dead, if you want to use Opera 12 then grab it from the Frontpage. I never said Vivaldi was an attempt to bring back the beloved features of Opera 12 either. I said it was created/envisioned by the co-founder and former CEO of Opera which may or may not matter to you but it might matter to some.

I am simply presenting the information I have obtained and my opinion on the program based on my own user experience.

Regarding your remarks about them selling data to Google:

If you think they are doing that, perhaps you should report them or something. Violating their own Privacy Policy is probably;y illegal.

We live in a world where privacy is always a concern. Yet we walk around with cell phones that track our location, can listen in on our conversations, record audio/video without our knowledge, etc. We have accounts on sites such as Facebook, YouTube, Google, reddit, etc. and we have to trust that those companies are legitimate and respect our rights and privacy. You may have read a lot of articles that spoke of the company selling information but if there was no solid evidence and if nothing was done about it then it must have been a rumor or something.

If your privacy is that important to you, maybe it would be a good idea to avoid the internet :P

46 minutes ago, HandyPAF said:

...If your privacy is that important to you, maybe it would be a good idea to avoid the internet :P

... and the 21st-century world altogether.   ;)

Much thanks for your effort in opening this discussion-thread and providing good information.  :flowers:

VIKTOR PAVEL
16 hours ago, HandyPAF said:

I am not offended. Discussion is good.

you say you open to discussion

only avoid this reply kind coz it make end discussion

If your privacy is that important to you, maybe it would be a good idea to avoid the internet :P

vivaldi in frontpage

i dont care frontpage or not - if i want install this program i know direct link :)

frontpage and software updates forum not very different - me think frontpage only programs cracks tested before post - but most programs post in software updates is tested before post too

only few new posters make mistake not mean programs post in software updates not safe

me also think nsaners smart enough to test programs them selves in vm/sandbox.... before install into theire work computer even if download from frontpage

then final opinion (my opinion) frontpage or not not matter :)

2 hours ago, VIKTOR PAVEL said:

you say you open to discussion

only avoid this reply kind coz it make end discussion

I didn't end any discussion. We are/were debating about the privacy concerns and my remark was made to solidify my opinion on the matter. There was no valid evidence to support the claims that the developers sell personal info to outside parties. And secondly, Google Chrome is on the frontpage and I know for certain that they collect data about their users.

2 hours ago, VIKTOR PAVEL said:

frontpage and software updates forum not very different

When I discovered Nsane, all I ever visited was the frontpage. I didn't stumble upon the forum until I found it via the result of a Google inquiry. I don't know if FP apps get more attention than the apps posted in software updates but I do think the apps that are posted on FP are more recognizable and mainstream. Vivaldi may not be your cup of tea but it is for me and I sincerely believe it belongs on the frontpage. Doesn't have to be added any time soon, and it shouldn't be since it is a fairly new program that is in active development even if it's not in beta. But if the browser continues to improve it's usability, speed, stability and adds more features, then I think it should be seriously considered.

If Frontpage and Software Updates are not very different then why do they each have their own section in the forum? Even the updates for each one are posted in separate sections of the forum. (Not sure if "section" is the right word but ykwim)

9 hours ago, HandyPAF said:

This topic isn't about Opera 12. I don't care about Opera 12. That browser is dead, if you want to use Opera 12 then grab it from the Frontpage. I never said Vivaldi was an attempt to bring back the beloved features of Opera 12 either. I said it was created/envisioned by the co-founder and former CEO of Opera which may or may not matter to you but it might matter to some.

I am simply presenting the information I have obtained and my opinion on the program based on my own user experience.

Regarding your remarks about them selling data to Google:

If you think they are doing that, perhaps you should report them or something. Violating their own Privacy Policy is probably;y illegal.

We live in a world where privacy is always a concern. Yet we walk around with cell phones that track our location, can listen in on our conversations, record audio/video without our knowledge, etc. We have accounts on sites such as Facebook, YouTube, Google, reddit, etc. and we have to trust that those companies are legitimate and respect our rights and privacy. You may have read a lot of articles that spoke of the company selling information but if there was no solid evidence and if nothing was done about it then it must have been a rumor or something.

Sorry but it's what you're write:

21 hours ago, HandyPAF said:

Vivaldi is an excellent browser and I think a lot of users would appreciate the somewhat-revived features of Opera 12

It's one of your argument. And the principal of marketing of Vivaldi.

For the privacy

You are vey naive if you think because is write in privacy is do  at 100%.:P

And you know very well.

You trust company like that you .:think:

And is ; sorry ;stupid to said to me to avoid the internet.<_<    :thumbsdown:

I do not see the link.
But we can always try to limit the damage.

This is why all good user's of the net will prefer an open source to a closed source.
Is simple.:tehe:
And there is the wide choice:

Open-source browsers

Ok that's all for me .:doh:

I leave this conversation.

I see it starts to degenerate.:snooty:

.This part is  to the attention of @adi ; Who believes himself to be spiritual. With its history ofthe 21st-century .:think:

Everyone knows that we are the 21st-century : except maybe the people living In the depths of the jungle. :)

Best regards.

To finish:
I'm not for Vivaldi in Frontpage.
That's all.

VIKTOR PAVEL
2 hours ago, HandyPAF said:

I didn't end any discussion. We are/were debating about the privacy concerns and my remark was made to solidify my opinion on the matter.

you say to him " If your privacy is that important to you, maybe it would be a good idea to avoid the internet :P " to solidify your opinion - hmmmmm.....

any way - your solidify method solidified discussion and is ended as i expect coz i know @snf have was only give his good and in detail opinion

but into his face you throw " If your privacy is that important to you, maybe it would be a good idea to avoid the internet :P "

sort reply that into 99,99% cases put end into discussions :)

sorry tell you this :)

VIKTOR PAVEL
Just now, vitorio said:

Who can post in FrontPage? What ar the criterions to post in FrontPage?

every one can post into frontpage - u need only check program u want post is in list into: https://www.nsanedown.com/?page=downloads

u post only direct link to program - u is not obliged post medicine

5 hours ago, snf said:
This part is  to the attention of @adi ; Who believes himself to be spiritual. With its history ofthe 21st-century .:think:

Everyone knows that we are the 21st-century : except maybe the people living In the depths of the jungle. :)

Noted.

Correct statement, if you will: "you believe that 'adi believes himself to be spiritual.'  adi never said that as much as adi knows.

The statement about 21st Century just meant that in this age (21st century) privacy is a non-existent concept.

Thank you and Regards.  :flowers:

18 minutes ago, snf said:

Ok. Sorry if i have offensed you !

Oh, why would I think that.  I am prone to talking straight and direct and don't beat the bush around.  Many people take it many ways: some think i am rude, some i'm know it all, some i'm always serious, some afraid of me, some think I am offended... 

Methinks a honest communication (is like between a mother and child) allows any tone, any style, never an offense, because there is a sincere desire to communicate (discuss) with a heavy dosage of friendly love.  Nothing goes wrong where there is a underlying current of love.   Even if we get excited, call her bitch, and she a no-good-for-nothing, bad-mannered, sob in the moment, with :love:, we realize our anger, etc. and become like old selves again after we cool down.  Nothing lasts for ever: neither anger, nor hate, nor offenses (given or taken) .... but love lasts forever and heals!  If only we suspend our pride and allow it to!

6 minutes ago, snf said:

Then all is well .  :)

"between us".:D

Always was and always will be!   :flowers:

The key is (not worrying about forgiving others, which is just an ego-trick) but to forgive onesef!

2 hours ago, adi said:

love

respect is more like it... love gets u too heated up and dramatic... i for one have a small drama content "container" (volume wise).

maybe we should allow the forum language to be spanish on certain subjects:snack:

5 hours ago, jbleck said:

respect is more like it...

No.  I meant and mean love.  It's not the love for another.  Respect is always for another.  I mean love for oneSelf.

Regards.

• Administrator

Thanks for the suggestions. We have a relatively long list of softwares for consideration for FP already, waiting full staff approval, we will add this to it.

• 4 weeks later...

On 7/23/2017 at 4:03 PM, snf said :

And  all of these fork chromium browsers are closed-source, outdated, based on Chromium.

Few free and open-source Chromium forks:

• DKT27 locked this topic

Archived