The new Doctor Who is a woman

dufus

Doctor who The Doctor is a Time Lady for the first time. BBC

The INSIDER Summary:

• BBC has announced that a woman will be playing the title role on "Doctor Who" for the first time ever.
  • Jodie Whitaker will take up the mantle from Peter Capaldi when the Christmas special airs this December.
  • The reactions from fans have been mixed.
  • A lot of fans feel like the Doctor should always be a man, and will be boycotting the show.

For the first time in its 54-year run, Doctor Who's titular character will be played by a woman.

The much-buzzed about announcement was made this past Sunday after the Wimbledon's men's finals. In a dramatic video, BBC revealed the 13th Doctor as Jodie Whittaker, well-known for her role with costar and former Doctor David Tennant on "Broadchurch," as well as the popular sci-fi mystery show "Black Mirror."

Although it has been confirmed by Whovian lore for some time now that the time-traveling alien known as The Doctor can regenerate into any form, regardless of race, gender, or even species (can you imagine a Dalek Doctor?), the Doctor has always been a white man since the show premiered in 1963. The announcement of the historic gender change has sent a shockwave through the fan community, and reactions are mixed, to say the least. Many are furious that the tradition of the show has shifted course and equate the change to a "liberal agenda."

R.T. Davies had respect for Doctor Who's history. Steven Moffat and Chris Chibnall use it as a venue for PC propaganda. #BoycottDoctorWhopic.twitter.com/CCTsmzbkcJ

—Darren Stuart (@boogiejuice69) July 16, 2017

If regeneration means Doctor Who can be a woman then why can't Doctor Who be a horse? 

I bet the lefty liberal pc brigade can't answer that

—Martin (@Geordie_in_VA) July 16, 2017

The Daily Mail doing what the Daily Mail does.#Pathetic#DoctorWho#DoctorWho13pic.twitter.com/p6eQnS12Wk

—The Last Timelord (@TimelordLast) July 17, 2017

Fans are claiming that they will boycott the show, and others vow to never watch again.

@ChrisChibnall why have you ruined my childhood,my sons 6yr old son 2 for pandering to PC, Loosing the core of the show #boycottdoctorwho

[email protected]. (@cookson2011) July 17, 2017

A woman can't be Doctor Who 

He's a doctor, not a nurse

—Big Woke Smoke (@Mick_Kraut) July 16, 2017

Others are defending the casting choice:

An alien "randomly" regenerates into 12 consecutive white men, but sure, a woman in the role of Doctor Who is weird. #JodieWhittaker

—Charles Clymer�️‍� (@cmclymer) July 16, 2017

*Enters mind of someone who objects to woman taking role of Doctor Who* 

"Wow, it's so much smaller on the inside"#DoctorWho13

—Peter Broks (@peterbroks) July 16, 2017

But Whittaker wants to reassure fans of her respect for the iconic nature of the role:

"I want to tell the fans not to be scared by my gender," Whittaker told the BBC in her first interview post-announcement. "Because this is a really exciting time, and Doctor Who represents everything that's exciting about change. The fans have lived through so many changes, and this is only a new, different one, not a fearful one."

She already has blessings from current and former Doctor Who actors:

B O O M � Change isn't a dirty word!!!! � #Doctor13https://t.co/TNmw2qnD1W

—Freema Agyeman (@FreemaOfficial) July 16, 2017

Jodie Jodie Jodie Jodie Jodie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ���

—Karen Gillan (@karengillan) July 16, 2017

Although some fans are adverse to change, Doctor Who has been evolving sociopolitically for several seasons now. On the sixth season, the show depicted its first inter-species lesbian romantic relationship. And this past season, the new companion, Bill, is a lesbian character with romantic interests and dating woes.

The fandom has been loudly buzzing with speculation about a female star ever since The Doctor's nemesis, the Master, regenerated on the eighth season into a quirky, sarcastic woman nicknamed Missy.

So, the signs were there for a female Doctor. It was only a matter of time. The show is also getting a new showrunner, Chris Chibnall ("Broadchurch"), who will be replacing Steven Moffat next season.

http://www.thisisinsider.com/doctor-who-first-woman-jodie-whittaker-sexist-reactions-2017-7

controversial for me i know but that a red line

• Views 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived