Notebook - hard to find

kowalski215

kowalski215

Hi everyone. I'm writing here since my old cheap laptop has just stopped working and I'm ready to replace it. What I need right now is (these specs are ALL required)

- A 15.6 (or 15) inches screen

- Numeric pad on the keyboard

- At least an m3 or intel i3 processor

- 4GB RAM

- Solid state drive (SSD), at least 64/128GB.

What I'm looking for is a cheap laptop, priced at maximum 400$, but it seems to be actually hard to find it. I also started thinking about buying a common HD notebook and then replacing the HD with an SSD.

Do you have any useful recommendations? Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually it depends on where you live.  If you live in the U.S. then go to Walmart.  They have a dozen laptops by HP, Dell, and Acer that are all under $400, most of which meet your specs.

Lots of $400 notebook around here that fit your bill excpt the SSD's only seem in the higher dollar laptops.

My current laptop is 2012 model T520 Thinkpad that cost me I think 57 usd on ebay... I stuck in my own cpu i7 quad 90 usd and 512 Samsung SSD for <100 off bay and upgraded the display 28 usd.  Laptop looked unused so I ordered a 2nd one for backup.    

I'd rather use the Thinkpad than a brand new unused Toshiba 17 inch laptop sitting here in a big zip lock bag that was gifted to me.

I bought several refurbished laptops recently loaded for under $400 US direct from the manufacturer, but the deals only come around 3 or 4 times per year.

13 hours ago, virge said:

I bought several refurbished laptops recently loaded for under $400 US direct from the manufacturer, but the deals only come around 3 or 4 times per year.

Dell Outlet always has systems for sale.  I use the business outlet because I only buy Latitudes, not Inspirons.  I have gotten some great deals there.  A couple years ago I got  a $2200 laptop for $700 and a full 3 year warranty.  Sometimes they are refurbished and sometimes they are brand new, you just have to visit it often and see what they are offering.

kowalski215

Sorry everyone, I forgot to mention (I thought I had the flag under my profile pic, but I got it wrong! :( ), I do not live in the US but in Italy. So, no best buy, no wallmart. Prices are a bit higher as it usually happens in Europe. The main problem is that as @mikie said, I find it hard to find a model that fits an SSD. Lots of notebooks below $400 feature an i5, but always with a common HDD. That's why I asked here.

By the way, I'll also have a look at Dell Outlet which I previously excluded but seems to be a good choice (thx @straycat19)

• Administrator
22 hours ago, kowalski215 said:

Sorry everyone, I forgot to mention (I thought I had the flag under my profile pic, but I got it wrong! :( ),

You can add it if you want. UserCP > Edit Profile on right > Country. That will add it.

Archived