Welcome to nsane.forums

Welcome to nsane.forums, like most online communities you need to register to view parts of our community or to make contributions, but don't worry: this is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of nsane.forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Access special members only forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
straycat19

Teen Dies From Using CellPhone in Bathtub

12 posts in this topic

A Texas teen died Sunday morning while using her cellphone in a bathtub, according to reports.

 

Madison Coe, 14, was electrocuted taking a bath at her father’s home in Lovington, New Mexico, news station KCBD reported.

 

Relatives told KCBD that the accident was caused either when she plugged in her phone while in the bathtub or grabbing the phone as it was being charged.

 

The 14-year-old, who is from Lubbock, Texas, had recently graduated from eighth grade at Terra Vista Middle School.

 

“It is with heavy hearts that Frenship Independent School District mourns the loss of Madison Coe. We wish to share our heartfelt sympathy with her family and friends as we carry the burden of this tragedy together,” district officials said in a statement.

 

Friends created a GoFundMe page Sunday to raise money for her funeral.

 

“Our hearts go out to their family during this difficult time,” the GoFundMe campaign said.

 

Article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

...

Edited by hfaz63
Removed unnecessary words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Texas teen electrocuted after cell phone accidentally falls in bathtub  :(

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -


A 14-year-old girl from Lubbock died early Sunday morning after being electrocuted in a bathtub.


Madison Coe's mother and grandmother tell us she was in the bathtub, and either plugged her phone in or simply grabbed her phone that was already plugged in.


It happened at her father's house in Lovington, NM.


Madison just graduated 8th grade from Terra Vista Middle School in Frenship ISD.


"It is with heavy hearts that Frenship ISD mourns the loss of Madison Coe. We wish to share our heartfelt sympathy with her family and friends as we carry the burden of this tragedy together," officials with FISD said.

 

Madison was expected to attend high school in Houston, as her family was in the process of moving.

 

“I call her my shining star," her grandmother, Donna O'Guinn, said.

 

Madison Coe was a 14 year-old, wise beyond her years.

 

“She was very smart. Very good student in school. She just loved life," O'Guinn said.

 

Madison had so much of her life ahead of her, as she made an impact on those around her with her positivity and kindness.

 

She was a basketball player and the number one chair with her tuba in the band at Terra Vista Middle School.

 

“She was just sweet to everybody and everybody loved her," O'Guinn said.

 

As O'Guinn fights back the tears, she says it is hard to understand why her granddaughter’s life was taken far too soon.

 

Her family says Madison was in the bath tub and grabbed her phone that was plugged into a charger in a bathroom outlet.

 

“There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened," O'Guinn said.

 

Madison's family believes this terrible accident is something that could happen to anyone.

 

But now their mission is to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

 

“This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else.


And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging," O'Guinn said.

 

The post about Coe on Facebook continues to be shared, opening up many eyes to the power of electricity, and the danger of plugging in any electrical appliance that isn’t water-proof, near water.

 

“It’s overwhelming to realize that there are people that we don’t even know and we’ll probably never even meet that have taken this message and shared it to protect another child or even an adult.


We don’t want to lose anybody," O'Guinn said.


So as Madison’s family mourns her loss, they have hope that this message will resonate with anyone who hears it.

 

It’s the positivity she always carried with her, continuing to make a difference in the world.


“We need to be aware. We need to teach our children that electricity and water do not mix," O'Guinn said.


"She’s just going to be greatly missed by all of us. She has a special place in my heart."


There will be a memorial service for Madison Coe on Saturday, July 15th, at 2:00 p.m. at Kings Ridge Church of Christ in Lubbock.


The address is 4201 98th Street.


 

http://www.kcbd.com/story/35851834/texas-teen-electrocuted-after-cell-phone-accidentally-falls-in-bathtub

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Threads merged.

 

Please do not use power connected electronics near the water and water areas as much as possible to do so.

1 person liked / thanked this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

Please do not use power connected electronics near the water and water areas as much as possible to do so.

You would think this would be common sense.  Guess not.  :(

2 people liked / thanked this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

You would think this would be common sense.  Guess not.  :(

 

Agreed. But from what I know, a lot of cultures, if I may say so, have power plugs near the water and water related areas in the bathroom. If you ask me, there should be no power plugs in the bathroom and such.

1 person liked / thanked this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DKT27 said:

If you ask me, there should be no power plugs in the bathroom and such.

 

I happen to have one near the bathroom sink. But it's an electrical socket with GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) technology.

Here's what it is:

Quote

How do GFCIs work? If you drop an appliance (like a hair dryer) into water (say, in a tub), things head south quickly. Electricity surges into the water and down the drain pipe like lightning seeking ground. If you’re in the tub, your heart can go into fatal fibrillation. (Drengenberg, whose job it is to think about such things, notes that human blood is a particularly fine electrical conductor.) As mentioned above, the flow of AC (alternating current) power is constantly being reversed. The clever GFCI checks that the flow of power out of a device matches the flow going in. If the power isn’t coming back, then it’s going somewhere bad—in which case the GFCI cuts off the power.

 

A GFCI is not like a circuit breaker, which is designed to prevent fire and which works so slowly that it would never activate in time to prevent an electric shock injury. A GFCI, in contrast, reacts in 20-25 milliseconds, well before your heart would have a chance to go bananas

Source

 

Anyone remember those lamps we had in the fifties and sixties over the bathroom mirror that had one lonely power plug for electrical razors?  They seemed to be the thing in those days.

5 people liked / thanked this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess this is possible, But the charger must have had no protection fuse or it failed.  What might have happened is that the 5v output shorted and melted the wires(plastic) around the transformer, same for the primary coil and the ac leaked into the charger output wire. It had to be one of those cheap chargers from China.

 

I know people who have dropped their cell phone into toilets, sinks, fountains and there was no issue retrieving it while it was on. This most likely sounds like the charger was completely crap or the AC outlet it was plugged into was not GFCI rated for water.

 

Either way, it's a sad and tragic death of someone so young. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wireless charger is a better way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SOMEONE TEACH THESE MILLENNIALS  to keep off their phones while EATING,BATHING, DRIVING....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/7/2017 at 10:49 PM, teodz1984 said:

SOMEONE TEACH THESE MILLENNIALS  to keep off their phones while EATING,BATHING, DRIVING....

 

Not just them, this applies to everyone I think.

1 person liked / thanked this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0