Printer Ink...WTF!

Agent 86

Went to buy printer ink today and it was more than I originally paid for my printer! I just bought another cheap printer that came w/ink and saved $20....WTF! 

• Replies 24
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad part is, the ink that comes with that new printer is generally only 1/2 or less filled.    I check the ink cartridge for the printer and see if there are refillable with Automatic Reset Chips replacements available before I buy printer.  Simple Internet Search will generally find them.  Generally you can get refillable plus, what amounts to a lifetime of ink, for close to the price of a set of OEM replacements.  I've had good luck with Brother printers....

That is what I do every time I need new ink carts.  Its cheaper then ink alone plus you gain another warranty. 

Just  for the record, you never get a full ink cartridge with new printers!

And yes, new printer cartidges (or printer heads) are really expensive. Usually I refill them. Just should be careful cheaters, (or scammers?) they might change your  good cartridge for a bad one!

The truth is, the printer companies could give away the printers for free and still make money. You can refill the ink carts yourself, not that hard to do or shop around on ebay.amazon for cheap ink. 

I have a color HP DeskJet 970Cxi Professional Series Printer that I bought in 1999 at Sam's Club and it is still printing flawlessly.  It uses the 45/78 cartridges and I have only used original HP cartridges in it.  I print a lot of color pictures on photo paper with it and have never had a problem. The pictures I printed 18 years ago look as brilliant and clear as the ones I print today.  I don't think any printer manufacturer today has a printer that will last as long as this one for the price I paid for it.  I have 6 other printers, 4 B&W Lasers by Brother and 2 Color Lasers by Brother.  If you want to talk expensive try buying color laser cartridges.

It's just another of Big Business's con tricks..but it's "legal" and the money keeps rolling in. And they try to discourage you from refilling the cartridges by reminding you to "always use genuine $$$$$ cartridges " to avoid damaging your printer or cancelling out your warranty. Anyone ever tried to get a repair/replacement of a faulty printer and be met with a smile? Sellers treat you like you've got Bubonic plague if you try to get an exchange/repair under warranty.:mellow:

1 hour ago, Mystique said:

I feel like epsons Ecotank printer's are the way to go.

I'd thought that, but knowing my luck the heads would fail, long before It would be worth the cost to me.

Although Epson printers come with a 3  year Guarantee.

VIKTOR PAVEL

i have old but good HP Laserjet 2100 (B/W) - i use only refill and work good many years ago (i dont print image - only text)

please not use default settings and use Toner Save Mode if available

if no tweak settings to save ink coz default settings use too much ink for nothing

when use this settings printer save ink with out loose quality and text perfect visible

I think the biggest problem with printers these days (beyond ink) is insecure wireless connections which could be used to compromise your entire home network.
I'm not a big fan of wireless but admit that it is very useful and efficient when it is set up and working right.

8 hours ago, funkyy said:

use genuine $$$$$ cartridges " to avoid damaging your printer

It is absolutely untrue that refilling cartridges may damage your printer. Actually, BAD INK can damage your cartridge, but not your printer, so if you refill yourself using the proper ink or at credited a site where they won't cheat, you shouldn't have any problem.  I've refilled up to 5 -6 times without any issue: only problem I had was precisely the use of incorrect inks, which dries and clogs the cartridge.

8 hours ago, funkyy said:

Anyone ever tried to get a repair/replacement of a faulty printer

It's possible that the earliest printers were well-made but since years ago, printers, even the most expensive models, are made like toys, using cheap plastic parts with limited life. If you are giving the printer a normal use, INEVITABLY they will wear out. They have a statistically calculated RESTRICTED lifetime  If it gets damaged within a specific period, "authorized dealers" can repair them using kits already available, because manufacturers (HP, Epson, etc) already know which parts will fail. When parts are no more available, your expensive printer simply can't be repaired and you must dispose of it as technological junk. No way to sell them for "parts" because the parts that fail are always the same, in most printers!

1 hour ago, VIKTOR PAVEL said:

if no tweak settings to save ink coz default settings use too much ink for nothing

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say but guess it won't apply to desk-jet printers; at least mine don't have this Toner Save Mode. Actually, I always use the "draft" mode. Time ago I had used a weird app called "Inksaver", which tweaks the printers mode and it is suppesed to save ink . The problem was that using it, the cartridge dried and clogged irreversibly. It is possible that the problem was that the ink was not the proper original but before using this app it worked without problem in draft mode. After this problem happened twice, I deleted definitely this "Inksaver" app.

VIKTOR PAVEL
35 minutes ago, luisam said:

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say but guess it won't apply to desk-jet printers; at least mine don't have this Toner Save Mode. Actually, I always use the "draft" mode. Time ago I had used a weird app called "Inksaver", which tweaks the printers mode and it is suppesed to save ink . The problem was that using it, the cartridge dried and clogged irreversibly. It is possible that the problem was that the ink was not the proper original but before using this app it worked without problem in draft mode. After this problem happened twice, I deleted definitely this "Inksaver" app.

i never buy  inkjet printers - i dont know if they have Toner Save Mode but should have some options to minimize ink consumption and keep quality

me think all Laserjet printers have options like this Toner Save Mode coz i install many laser printers to friends and family and all have kind of this option

example : Brother Laser Printer (i am not home to show you HP LaserJet 2100 options but is near same thing)

image.jpg

image.jpg

not any 3rd party program use - only printer config

Before buying a printer.. always go on ebay and check to see how much ink cartridges are..

I bought my epson SX200 that way.. cheap as chips for compatible cartridges, work out at 50p each compared with epsons £30 for a set of 4.

Speaking of Brother printers, I hear the Brother MFC-J985DW is a decent printer in terms of running costs as the ink cartridges are designed to lasts a long time.
What is consistent with the printers such as this one and the epson EcoTank range is that you pay a larger initial cost for  the printer itself but if you intend to use the printer often then it is a worthwhile investment.

• Administrator

Thread moved to Technology Talk.

8 hours ago, Mystique said:

I feel like epsons Ecotank printer's are the way to go.

Interesting this. Have not printed much from years so did not check them from years. The ecotank model does not seem to be available here but L and M series is, which seems to offer similar refillable inks. Man that company makes some quality things.

Coming back to the original question, my personal experience with ink printers is that if one prints in high amounts, then lazer printer is the way to go I think.

i could say , stay away for hp printers. second in line brother

but what do i know about printers?

i go canon all the way.

and yes they all use inkt

lol

HP have brought out an ink subscription service where its based of the number of prints/ pages printed each month, not how much ink you use and cartridge delivery is included

price ranges from £1.99 ($2.99) for 50 prints per month to £7.99 ($9.99) for 300 pages. (+£1 ($1) for additional 15/ 20/ 25 prints based on each plan). you can also rollover any unused prints each month, limited to the plan your on

buying a new HP printer (around £30-£40) gets you 3 or 4 months worth of free ink

UK https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en/r

US https://instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/r

My Brother multi-function printer is almost 4-years old, cost me $50.00 US at the time. Full set of ink on Amazon is $10.00, it's not original, has the chipset on it and works like a charm. The print head did die on me 2-years old, Brother replaced it at no cost. Of course, I never told them I wasn't using original ink. There is zero difference from original ink to compatible ink, you can get carts that leak, go bad with either, buy from a reputable dealer.

Color Laserjet are nice but very expensive to maintain/repair. Canon and Brother are my favorite brands, I would avoid HP like the plague.

Do all printers sooner or later give this message? "A printers ink pad is at the end of its service life. Please contact Epson support" This is an elegant way to say buy a new printer.

2 hours ago, vitorio said:

Do all printers sooner or later give this message? "A printers ink pad is at the end of its service life. Please contact Epson support" This is an elegant way to say buy a new printer.

My 18 year old HP 970Cxi has never given me any type of service life message.  I have had laser printers tell me that the drum was at the end of its service life on those that have a separate drum and ink cartridge.  With lasers like HP the drum is part of the replacement cartridge on black and white printers.  I haven't used a Canon Inkjet in 16 years, I think the last one I had was something like a Canon BC600 that used for separate ink tanks to print.  I actually preferred that to the HP two tank system because the tri-color always seemed to run out of yellow before the other colors.  I remember seeing an error message one time on an ink jet printer, I forget the brand, that the ink waste receptacle was full.  Ink jets that use the ink to clean the nozzles when starting up have a waste tank that the ink goes into and when it gets full the printer is no longer usable. I don't like printers that allow direct wireless printing, I have one, but I keep it turned off and only turn it on if I think I am going to need it when I have guests or family over.

For the record, I would never buy another HP printer of any type, we even quit using them at work and no longer allow individual printers.  We contract with Ricoh for new printers every three years and we have an IT person accompany their people during printer replacement to remove the hard drive from the printer because we keep those

3 hours ago, vitorio said:

Maybe this would help. I have not tried such things myself but if your printer is that messed up maybe something like this would help. I imagine this group handles a lot of brands of printers and not just epson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcaBajKVeJA

I hope it helps.

I just realized this is a paid software so I don't really feel comfortable mentioning it or recommending it since I have never tried it or haven't got an available key to share but it does give me the impression that printers just like to kick up errors for stuff just to make you buy a new printer and they can be easily fixed without having to buy another printer in some cases.

The ink pads is at the end of service for my Epson XP 810 printer. I read that there is a program such as:

Epson XP-810 waste ink pad reset key

The site is Printerkeys.com
– Version: V.3.75.90 or later

Can someone has a spare key for it, please.  If so please PM me.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Archived