AMD gains CPU market share from Intel

DKT27

• Administrator

It now has 28 percent market share 

A  report from PassMark says that AMD increased its market share from 18 percent last quarter to 24 percent. This is AMD’s largest single quarter share gain in history and it is all thanks to Ryzen.

SEsxDeY.png

The graph shows AMD and Intel market share which is based on thousands of PerformanceTest benchmark results and is updated daily. The  chart only includes x86 processors and does not include other chip architectures these manufacturers may sell.

In Q1 2017 Intel’s market share according to the Passmark graph shows 81.90 percent total while AMD has 18 percent. A snapshot taken on July 2 however, shows the Intel share drop to 76 percent while AMD rose to 24 percent.

Passmarks does not really talk about shares and no doubt the Intel squad will make a big thing about this. However it is an indication that AMD is making inroads into Intel's bottom line. In AMD's favour the figures only take into account chips installed in PCs so do not account for anything in a console. 

As the PerformanceTest software only runs on Windows OS and counts on user submitting their benchmarks. This chart may be non reflective of the non Windows user base.

:view:View: Original Article

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worms look perfectly symmetric. 

7 hours ago, DKT27 said:

AMD increased its market share from 18 percent last quarter to 24 percent.

This is AMD’s largest single quarter share gain in history and it is all thanks to Ryzen.

7 hours ago, DKT27 said:

It now has 28 percent market share.

Not bad at all...:coolwink:

straycat19

When AMD is at the top of its game it can produce chips that are better than Intel for significantly less.  The last time they had great success was in the late 90s and early 2000s.  There have been some adverse data published about problems with the Ryzen chips but some of it is the motherboard manufacturers problem and some is just a firmware tweak needed for the Ryzen.  For some reason (that is quite obvious), any time there is a small fault detected in an AMD chip the media explodes with it, yet problems with Intel chips (and there are many that are never even reported on) are swept under the rug.  You can't go wrong in buying a top of the line Ryzen 1800x.  In tests done by ExtremeTech the Ryzen 1800X is almost twice as fast as the Intel i7-7700K in multi-thread tests. That is what is called bang for the buck.

1 hour ago, straycat19 said:

When AMD is at the top of its game it can produce chips that are better than Intel for significantly less.  The last time they had great success was in the late 90s and early 2000s.  There have been some adverse data published about problems with the Ryzen chips but some of it is the motherboard manufacturers problem and some is just a firmware tweak needed for the Ryzen.  For some reason (that is quite obvious), any time there is a small fault detected in an AMD chip the media explodes with it, yet problems with Intel chips (and there are many that are never even reported on) are swept under the rug.  You can't go wrong in buying a top of the line Ryzen 1800x.  In tests done by ExtremeTech the Ryzen 1800X is almost twice as fast as the Intel i7-7700K in multi-thread tests. That is what is called bang for the buck.

Hiding big companies faults can be good for the pocket.

On 7.7.2017 at 4:54 AM, rudrax said:

what a surprise. B)

it's a good thing intel still has a competitor. hopefully amd can make something out of this. they had the better cpu for the same price  years ago (athlon) but no serious successor for a long time.

• Administrator
On 7/7/2017 at 8:24 AM, rudrax said:

That is because Intel has given AMD the license for x86 and AMD has given license to Intel for the original version of x86_64 - basically 64-bit processor. All this, from what I know. Meaning, only Intel and AMD can make the processors we use on our computers, almost no one else can now. That is why I keep insisting, if x86 architecture is not allowing more companies, then some other architecture should make computer friendly processors. ARM for example, should design better, more powerful, x86 like processors to give competition, if they will not be able to force Intel / AMD to give them a license, then atleast their processors can run ARM supporting OS and apps like Android.

Coming back to Ryzen. I agree, it's good, but needs to be better. On gaming side, Ryzen disappoints when it comes to the mainstream priced processors I think.

@DKT27 That worm graph is about market gain per year by both the companies, isn't it. So, to get symmetric worms like those two, it means that the exact amount of market share loosed by either of the two companies is gained by the other one. I know there is no 3rd company involved but yet to have that much of symmetric worm is pretty fascinating. 

Archived