Controlling Which Apps Office 2016 Installs

straycat19

Controlling Which Apps Office 2016 Installs

So I got a new computer late last year.  When setting it up, I thought, "hey, I may as well put the latest Office on it," and got a copy of 2016 "ProPlus," as I use OneNote, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.  The setup was incredibly easy, and in fact, I thought, "hmmm... too easy."  I let it run and in a trice, it told me that Office was installed.  So I looked on my Start Menu, and what do you know, Office installed all of the Office apps.  That unfortunately included stuff I don't use and don't want like Publisher, Project and the like.  Looking at the Add/Remove apps section of Control Panel offered no options.  I uninstalled Office, paid closer attention as I re-installed it, and still... no choices.  A few hours later, I discovered how to get Office to install but a few apps rather than gooping up my drive with the other junk.  Basically the trick is to copy the install files to a folder, download the "Office 2016 Deployment Tool" from the Microsoft site, build an XML file (it'll be easy), and run setup — the step-by-steps follow.

• Get the ProPlus 2016 ISO
  • Create a folder "C:\Officefiles" on your hard drive where you can copy the ISO's contents, as we need to modify it a bit to seize control of our copy of Office.
  • Open the ISO.  You'll see two files (autorun.inf and setup.exe) and a folder ("office").  Copy the "office" folder — and not the two other files — to the C:\Officefiles folder.
  • Download the Office 2016 Deployment Tool from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117>
  • Run the exe.  It'll ask where to extract its files — tell it C:\Officefiles .  The C:\Officefiles folder will then contain two new files, setup.exe and configuration.xml.
  • Delete that configuration.xml file.  Open Notepad and copy the XML text below (starting with "<configuration>" and ending with "</configuration>" into Notepad. If you need a Product Key, replace the bogus value in my example below. (Enterprise customers may not need the line at all — sorry, I don't know as I don't have an Enterprise license for Office.) Save the resulting Notepad contents to c:\Officefiles\configuration.xml:
<Configuration>

<Add OfficeClientEdition="32" Branch="Current">
    <Product ID="ProPlusRetail" PIDKEY="THISD-OESNT-WORKV-XXXXX-X">  
      <Language ID="en-us" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Access" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Groove" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="InfoPath" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="OneDrive" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Project" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Publisher" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="SharePointDesigner" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Visio" />
    </Product>
  </Add>

<Updates Enabled="TRUE" Branch="Current" />
  <Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />
  <Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1" /> 
  <Logging Name="OfficeSetup.txt" Path="d:\OfficeFiles" />

</Configuration>
    Open an elevated command prompt and type the following:
      C:
      CD \OfficeFiles
      Setup /configure configuration.xml                  

Result:  a much trimmer Office install.  Of course, you can add things back by removing their appropriate 'ExcludeApp" line in the XML, and if you use 64-bit Office, replace the "32" with "64."

Source

• Replies 7
    • Views 1.2k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Why so difficult ?

Just use ClicktoRun , and you can choose which Office-programs you want to use............:D !

if you install office 2010,2013 or 2016 VL version, you can customize your installation so you can choose which office programs to install at the beginning of the installation by simply clicking on "cuztomize".

Retail office versions don't allow to cuztomize the installation but you can easily replace iso versions by great tool called Office 2013-2016 C2R Installer that you can download from here and this way you can choose all the office programs to install for retail office versions but this tool only works for office 2013 and 2016 retail versions.

" Just use ClicktoRun "...= Office 2013-2016 C2R  ( like  I said , using this tool let you choose which program to install and which not..........:D ! )

• 9 months later...

Yes, this is best , latest is 6.04.............works awsome !!        :D

Archived