Syria War reaches the border of Israel

Phantomboxe

Phantomboxe

Israel said on Saturday it had targeted Syrian military installations after shells landed in the occupied Golan Heights but a Syrian military source said the Israeli strikes killed some civilians.

Rebels including hardline Islamist factions fought the Syrian army on Saturday in Quneitra province, bordering the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, Syrian state media and a war monitor reported.

Israel's military said 10 projectiles from inside Syria had hit the Golan and it responded with air strikes on the position they were launched from and on two Syrian army tanks, one as it was preparing to fire.

Aerial video footage released by the Israeli military purporting to show the strikes showed a machine gun and two tanks targeted and hit.

The military described the shellfire into the Israeli-held territory as errant fire and called it an "unacceptable breach" of sovereignty.

The Syrian military source said Israeli rocket fire had hit a residential building, causing a number of deaths and damage. The source did not mention Syrian fire into Israel and said the Israeli strike was in support of jihadist rebels.

The war monitor, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said rebel groups in Quneitra had launched an assault and were storming army positions near Baath City.

Israel has targeted Syria several times during the conflict, sometimes after projectiles have landed in the Golan Heights, but also to hit weapons supplies of Lebanon's Hezbollah group, which is fighting alongside the Syrian government.

Syria's civil war, between President Bashar al-Assad and rebels seeking to oust him, has lasted six years, killed hundreds of thousands and pushed millions to flee their homes.

(Reporting By Angus McDowall in Beirut, Mustafa Hashem in Cairo and Maayan Lubell in Jerusalem, Editing by Angus MacSwan) - Dailymail

source

• Replies 18
  • Views 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply
knowledge-Spammer

was in support of jihadist rebels.

i think putin said to Israel 2times now to stop with hit Syria good luck Israel

43 minutes ago, pc71520 said:

And here trouble begins...;)

Trouble begins:

not only here, but

there also --

sooner or later.    ;)

7 minutes ago, CODYQX4 said:

Open Borders for Israel. They need some "cultural enrichment".

A great settlement.  ;) 

"If my humor appears to thee unbecoming
Lose not thy own good humor."   ~ Sa'di. 

:flowers:

Story of a soldier of Isfahan

(from The Bustan of Sa'di):

In Isfahan I had a friend who was warlike, spirited, and shrewd. His hands and dagger were for ever stained with blood. The hearts of his enemies were consumed by fear of him; even the tigers stood in awe of him. In battle he was like a sparrow among locusts; in combat, sparrows and men were alike to him. Had he made an attack upon Faridun, he would not have given the latter time to draw his sword. Neither in bravery nor magnanimity had he an. equal.

This warrior formed a liking for my company; but as I was not destined to remain in Isfahan, Fate transferred me from Iraq to Syria, in which holy land my staying was agreeable. After some time the desire for my home attracted me, so I returned to Iraq.

One night, the memory of the sepoy passed through my mind; the salt of his friendship opened the wounds of my gratitude, for I had eaten salt from his hand. To meet him, I. went to Isfahan, and inquired as to where he lived.

I chanced upon him. He who had been a youth had become old; his form, once erect as. an arrow, had become as a bow. Like a hoary mountain, his head was covered with snowy hair; Time had conquered him and twisted the wrist of his bravery. The pride of his strength had gone; the head of weakness was upon his knees,

"O tiger-seizer!" I exclaimed, "what has made thee decrepit like an old fox?"

He laughed and said: "Since the day of the battle of Tartary, I have expelled the thoughts of fighting from my head. Then did I see the earth arrayed with spears like a forest of reeds. I raised like smoke the dust of conflict; but when Fortune does not favour, of what avail is fury? I am one who, in combat, could take with a spear a ring from the palm of the hand; but, as my star did not befriend me, they encircled me as with a ring. I seized the opportunity of flight, for only a fool strives with Fate. How could my helmet and cuirass aid me when my bright star favoured me not? When the key of victory is not in the hand, no one can break open the door of conquest with his arms.

"The enemy were a pack of leopards, and as strong as elephants. The heads of the heroes were encased in iron, as were also the hoofs of the horses. We urged on our Arab steeds like a cloud, and when the two armies encountered each other thou wouldst have said they had struck the sky down to the earth. From the raining of arrows, that descended like hail, the storm of death arose in every corner. Not one of our troops came out of the battle but his cuirass was soaked with blood. Not that our swords were blunt — it was the vengeance of stars of ill fortune. Overpowered, we surrendered, like a fish which, though protected by scales, is caught by the hook in the bait. Since Fortune averted her face, useless was our shield against the arrows of Fate."

[Then, there is (also) the story of the Great Warrior, Arjuna, of Mahabharata and the failure of his Gandiva...  ;)]

“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”

~ Omar Khayyám

:flowers:

Syria War reaches the border of Israel

19 hours ago, pc71520 said:

And here trouble begins...;)

To put it lightly.  I remember Gulf War I when Saddam was lobbing Scuds at Israel and hoping like hell they didn't shoot back.

14 hours ago, CODYQX4 said:

Open Borders for Israel.

They need some "cultural enrichment".

* Israel wants an Open-Border policy for everybody else, except for itself.

* Uncle Soros wants a Multi-Cultural society everywhere else, except for Israel.

19 hours ago, CODYQX4 said:

they already have it, plenty of Palestinians there!

~Respect existence or expect resistance~ haha that could well be the slogan of Israel, in the face of the animosity of all its neighbors since day one.

Where else will one find?:

Bordeaux wine if not in France.

Vodka if not in Russia. And

Palestinian wine if not in Palestine?   :drunk:

5 hours ago, flitox said:

they already have it, plenty of Palestinians there!

~Respect existence or expect resistance~ haha that could well be the slogan of Israel, in the face of the animosity of all its neighbors since day one.

~Respect existence or expect resistance~  except for childkillers and those who take over others' lands and homes and burn their families alive. except for zionists.

On 25.6.2017 at 7:46 PM, CODYQX4 said:

Short of IT Workers at Home, Israeli Startups Recruit Abroad

TEL AVIV (Reuters) - When Alexey Chalimov founded software design firm Eastern Peak in Israel four years ago, he knew he would not find the developers he needed at home.

He went to Ukraine and hired 120 people to develop mobile apps and web platforms for international clients and smaller Israeli startups.

“I worked for years in the Israeli market and I knew what the costs were in Israel and I knew there was a shortage of workers,” he told Reuters.

Driven by startups, Israel’s technology industry is the fastest growing part of the economy. It accounts for 14 percent of economic output and 50 percent of exports.

But a shortage of workers means its position at the cutting edge of global technology is at risk, with consequences for the economy and employment.

The government’s Innovation Authority forecasts a shortage of 10,000 engineers and programmers over the next decade in a market that employs 140,000. Israel has dropped six spots in three years to 17th in the World Economic Forum’s ranking of the ease of finding skilled technology employees.

The shortage is particularly painful for Israel’s 5,000 startups which compete for talent with development centers of technology giants such as Google, Intel, Microsoft and Apple. They offer big incentives that a startup cannot afford.

Israel will lose its edge if the shortage isn’t tackled, said Noa Acker, head of policy at the societal challenges division at the Innovation Authority.

“Salaries will be very high and the industry will shrink to only very high level R&D while much of the work will be exported,” she said.

The main reason for the shortfall is a sharp drop in the number of computer science, maths and statistics graduates, down from a peak of 3,000 in 2005 to a low of 1,600 in 2008.

This is partly due to problems in secondary and primary schools where lack of funding means some classrooms do not have computers and advanced maths teachers are in short supply.

“Why do we still have classes where there are no computers?” said Yifat Turbiner, a researcher in entrepreneurship and innovation at Ben-Gurion University.

“If more budgets aren’t allocated to generate a technological state of mind … from elementary school, I believe all industries will suffer, not just high-tech.”

Another reason for the shortage of computer science graduates is that after the dotcom bubble burst in 2000, many Israeli high tech workers lost their jobs, Acker said.

This meant that students lost interest in tech careers and university applications declined.

The Education Ministry has announced plans to boost studies of math and science, especially in high schools outside the cities where advanced classes are not always available. But Turbiner said initiatives are also needed for a higher standard of math at a younger age including training more teachers.

Military technology expertise gained by soldiers during their service has been behind several successful Israeli firms, including the country’s biggest tech company, Check Point Software Technologies.

The government is also running “boot camps” of up to 18 months to train tech workers without technology degrees.

While the government takes steps to stimulate organic growth of workers at home, it is also making changes to visas for a quick fix of importing foreign workers.

The government is preparing 500 visas for students from abroad who studied science and engineering at Israeli universities so they can stay to work at tech firms for a year. It is also working on easing bureaucratic hurdles to unlimited “expert visas.”

In the meantime, many Israeli startups are looking abroad.

Ukraine is the top destination with about 100 Israeli development centers. A strong tradition of math and computer science teaching that is present in many former Soviet Union countries means Ukraine has more than 20,000 IT graduates each year.

The 1990s arrival of a million immigrants from former Soviet countries, many of them scientists who went to work for technology companies, has also created strong ties.

Israeli companies have also recruited workers in other eastern European countries such as Poland and Bulgaria.

Wix.com, which helps small businesses build websites and is one of Israel’s hottest tech companies, employs 120 workers in two development centers in Ukraine and another 80 at a site in Lithuania.

“They are in the same time zone, they have a good level of English and all are Russian speakers. Some of our people here are former Russians,” said Boaz Inbal, general manager of Wix’s development centers. “We have direct flights to both countries. It’s easy for us to collaborate and communicate.”

Salaries for software developers in Ukraine are about 40 percent lower than in Israel, said Andrey Link, an executive vice president at Ukrainian software engineering firm Infopulse.

But he said: “The key argument in our favor is not the cost but availability. To find 2-3 people (in Israel) is not a problem, but if they need…an R&D center for 100 people, it is very difficult in Israel.”

< Here >

Israeli Army Closes Off Golan Heights Border Area Amid Flare-ups With Syria

Area opposite Syrian town of Quneitra is prohibited to civilians, army says, after three incidents of stray fire from Syrian war in as many days

The Israeli army declared an area in the Golan Heights near the border with Syria a "closed military zone," prohibiting civilian access, following an upsurge in cross-border stray fire.

The area, opposite the Syrian town of Quneitra, will remain open to farm workers, the Israel Defense Forces said in a statement on Monday.

There have been three incidents of errant fire hitting the Israeli Golan Heights over the last three days, a result of fierce fighting between Syrian government troops and rebels in Quneitra.

The IDF has responded with force, carrying out airstrikes and artillery barrages against the Syrian army across the border. In statements, the IDF said it considers the Syrian army responsible for any breach of Israeli sovereignty and threats to the security of its citizens.

Despite the risk, hikers have been flocking to the Golan Heights, many of them hoping to catch a glimpse of the war across the border. On Tuesday, an observation point overlooking Quneitra was bustling with tourists, both locals and foreigners.

"There's cherry tourism, and there's war tourism," Keren Tenenbaum, who owns a convenience store in the area, summed it up. Ofir Puni, who works at a falafel stand nearby, said that the window panes in his shop were shaking from the shockwaves of blasts across the border. He noted that there were many tourists on Tuesday.

"For them it's an attraction, for us it's routine," he said.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.797997

Israel’s Recent Response to Syrian Mortars Deemed ‘Old Policy’

Mortar shells fired from Syria into the Israeli Golan Heights on Saturday prompted the IDF to respond with a retaliatory strike in Syria, purportedly killing some Syrian soldiers.

Yet despite the incidents, a military escalation between Israel and Syria is unlikely because it is in neither side’s interest, said professor Efraim Inbar, former director of the Begin-Sadat Center for Strategic Studies at Israel’s Bar-Ilan University.

“This is nothing new for the IDF to retaliate to spillover from Syria,” Inbar told JNS.org. “This is an implementation of old policy.”

“Israel has no interest in an escalation and I’m not sure the Syrians have an interest in an escalation either,” he said. “Even if the Syrians have the ability to do so, they are busy reconquering parts of their land that were lost by [President Bashar] Assad. There is a civil war there, and [Israel is] not the clear enemy of Assad.”

Yet in a December 2016 interview with the Syrian daily newspaper Al-Watan, Assad maintained that despite his nation’s years-long civil war, “Israel alone remains our enemy country.”

Regarding the incident that prompted Israel’s weekend strike in Syria, the IDF said that the mortars fired into the Jewish state appeared to be errant fire originating from clashes between warring factions near the Israel-Syria border. Around ten mortar rounds were confirmed to have landed in Israeli territory near Syria’s Quneitra area. No injuries or damage were reported.

Reflecting its policy for all fire landing in Israeli territory from Syria, the IDF held the Syrian regime responsible, saying it would “not tolerate any attempt to harm Israeli sovereignty and the security of its citizens.”

Echoing the IDF’s statement, Israeli Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman warned Saturday, “The Assad regime is responsible for what occurs in its territory, and will continue to suffer the consequences if such events recur.”

In addition to launching defensive air strikes on Syrian military targets — destroying two Syrian regime tanks and a machine gun post — Israel also filed an official complaint with the United Nations over the incident.

IDF spokesman Avichay Adraee confirmed, via his Arabic-language Facebook page, that the Israeli Air Force struck Syrian army targets in response to the mortars landing in Israel’s territory.

Hezbollah-affiliated Al Mayadeen TV reported that two Syrian soldiers were killed in the Israeli strike, and Syrian officials confirmed “several” deaths without providing further details.

“Our policy is clear: We will not tolerate any spillover or trickle whatsoever — neither mortars nor rockets, from any front,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday at Israel’s weekly cabinet meeting. “We will respond strongly to any attack on our territory or our citizens.”

Elaborating on Israel’s concerns in the region, Netanyahu talked about “Iran’s attempts to establish itself militarily in Syria as well as its attempts to arm Hezbollah — via Syria and Lebanon — with advanced weaponry.”

The Begin-Sadat Center’s Inbar explained that Israel “is an actor with a very low profile in Syria.” The Jewish state, he said, is “interested in preventing weapon deliveries to Hezbollah and we want to prevent an Iranian front in the Golan Heights. We basically have defensive aims.”

During a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin in March, Netanyahu expressed his strong opposition to Iranian forces and terror proxies — many equipped with Russian-made heavy artillery — operating in Syria, close to Israel’s northern border.

“Israel does not want a Shiite corridor,” Inbar said. “Assad is an ally of Iran, so to some extent we would like the forces against Assad to keep the Iranians away, but the future of Syria is not in Israel’s hands. We are a small state, and our ability to influence events there is limited — very limited.”

In line with reports that Netanyahu has lobbied for a security zone along the Israel-Syria border as part of any future negotiated resolution to the six-year-long Syrian civil war, Inbar said that Jordan and Israel are cooperating on an effort to establish such a buffer zone between Israel, Jordan and Syria.

Saturday night’s events followed the IDF’s confirmation that it downed a Syrian drone violating Israeli airspace over the Golan Heights in April; Syrian state media also reported that Israel launched an airstrike during the same month near Damascus International Airport on an Iranian weapons cache that was destined for Hezbollah.

https://www.algemeiner.com/2017/06/26/israels-recent-response-to-syrian-mortars-deemed-old-policy/

• Administrator

Typical political thread. You guys need to understand that no matter how concerning all this maybe, our forums are not the right place to discuss all these things, it only creates further divide within the community of the forums.

This forum revolves around topics of a technical nature, which happen to be discussed by people from many nationalities, etnicities and political backgrounds. In order to focus on what unities us all, rather than what divides us, cultural, national and/or political issues are not to be discussed. Members engaging in such discussions will receive a warning.

Thread closed.

• DKT27 locked this topic

Archived