WannaCry Ransomware Hits Traffic Cameras in Australia

Reefa

Just days after infecting the cyber infrastructure of Honda Automobile giant in Japan the WannaCry ransomware attack has now infected 55 traffic cameras in Victoria, Australia.

In a statement released by the Victorian Department of Justice, cameras installed on highways and intersections across the state have been infected by the malware.

When it comes to fixing the problem the department said that a patch has already been released to tackle the infection from spreading any further. As for the infected cameras, they would be fixed “in the next couple of days”.

However, it’s not all good news as 3AW, a talkback radio station based in Melbourne reports that the WannaCry ransomware infection was discovered earlier in June but only brought into road safety camera commissioner’s notice after being reported by the radio station earlier today.

It was also reported that the cameras were not specifically targeted. In fact, it was a human error in which a contractor connected the infected hardware to the cameras by mistake.

The WannaCry malware infection kicked off last month when United Kingdom’s National Health Service (NHS) had its computers infected. After a couple of days, the ransomware infected as many as 200,000 users in 150 countries including post offices, bus stations, hospitals, universities and telecommunication companies, etc.

In Spain, the country’s largest telecommunications company Telefónica had its server infected while in Russia the state-run post office came under attack.

The malware not only targeted computers but also the medical devices in the United States.

All this was possible because of a group of hackers called Shadow Brokers who leaked NSA’s hacking tools which were then used by an unknown group of cybercriminals to carry out WannaCry ransomware attack after exploiting Server Message Block (SMB) protocol vulnerability in old Windows operating systems including Windows 7.

source

• Replies 8
  • Views 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe that the world is full of idiots.
The only thing they should have made was only to close some network ports.

Or at least to install modern equipments that have all inbound ports closed by default.....

:P

2 minutes ago, Recruit said:

Can't believe that the world is full of idiots.
The only thing they should have made was only to close some network ports.

Or at least to install modern equipments that have all inbound ports closed by default.....

Couldn't agree more chap ...Simple shit butttttttttttt...Maybe not....:P

2 minutes ago, Reefa said:

:P

Couldn't agree more chap ...Simple shit butttttttttttt...Maybe not....:P

Restrictions, restrictions....:P

6oYSFLg.png

Always human error in my mind ..I only use comodo firewall no AV..

13 minutes ago, 0bin said:

The infection has been attributed to human error when an infected USB drive was plugged into the camera system’s computers, as opposed to a direct and targeted attack. 

USB ????? This is more agravant to sustain my arguments.

In any respectable organization not everyone can use usb drives whenever & whatever. There are strict security policies.

In a certain day we will hear that an imbecile plugged a usb into medical system and hundreds people have died.......

7 minutes ago, Reefa said:

Same here no AV.

I use SRP ( software restrictions policies ) via GPO and also I have Zemana Anti-Malware installed, but the real-time protection is disabled...I use it only to scan the system from time to time, because WTF...we are at nsane and lots of " medcines " are tagged like threats...:tooth:

And also I use windows10 firewall control ;)

12 hours ago, Reefa said:

I only use Comodo firewall; no AV..

Comodo Firewall can be more effective than most Anti-Malware/Anti-Virus software. ;)

A very simple but essential solution to the WannaCry Ransomware went unmentioned — MailWasher Pro (it helps prevent any malware that flies OTA — provided the User knows how to configure it.)

13 hours ago, Reefa said:

Used the COMODO Firewall for a few days during the IDM crisis — found it quite impressive and it's undeniably the king of firewalls.

Uninstalled the COMODO firewall — after finding another solution to the IDM DNS spoofing. BTW, COMODO installs its AntiVirus module (and other such modules) regardless of which COMODO installer you chose to use (so you do have an AV under the hood — it may be half-dead but it's heart is still beating.) :lol:

3 hours ago, dcs18 said:

A very simple but essential solution to the WannaCry Ransomware went unmentioned — MailWasher Pro (it helps prevent any malware that flies OTA — provided the User knows how to configure it.)

Used the COMODO Firewall for a few days during the IDM crisis — found it quite impressive and it's undeniably the king of firewalls.

Uninstalled the COMODO firewall — after finding another solution to the IDM DNS spoofing. BTW, COMODO installs its AntiVirus module (and other such modules) regardless of which COMODO installer you chose to use (so you do have an AV under the hood — it may be half-dead but it's heart is still beating.) :lol:

That is the problem with firewalls today.  Most of them have some type of AV under the hood instead of a true firewall.  I used Outpost for years and liked its capabilities, still have it running on one system though it is no longer updated, but it has all my rules and IP and Port blocking, etc configured.  It had a small AV addon built in but it was not as intrusive as ZoneAlarms or Comodo.

Archived